Red River

Alt title: Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori

Add review
YukiTachibana's avatar
Jul 12, 2017

I absolutely LOVED this manga - I mean it had everything a reader, well at least a female reader, would want: a physically and mentally strong female charcter, extreme and real romance not bullsh*t romance that defys the laws of space and time, I MEAN COMEONE MIRAI NIKKI (I advise you don't watch or read Mirai Nikki as it will simply take away hours of your time and then end leaving you with so many plot holes and questions that your brain will reset itself trying to adjust to the sh*t that it has just been blasted with) and finally a manga which has an adequate amount of chapters enough to keep you entertained for at least a week, if you don't stay up all night reading chapters in which a week will turn into 3 - 5 days. Plus the fact that the plot was superb - I mean girl being dragged into another era due to the plans of an evil sorcress and then falls in love with the mighty prince - it's like a princess plot but a million times better and the girl isn't the one waiting for her prince charming.

I'm just thinking if I had to name the best character in the whole manga who would it be cause although Yuri was badass and wasn't useless like some other female manga characters, SAKURA (from Naruto), you still got to admit Kail (sorry but I haven't read the manga in a couple of months but I still remember what happens and the plot of it but just not the names so if it isn't Kail soz) was pretty badass too with the way he defeated his "mother" plus you've got to admit that he did act as big part of the manga I mean the way he deeply cared about Yuri so much so that sometimes that he would even get a bit possessive of her which added a lot juciness to the manga.

Anyway I got to say though this is one of the best manga that I have ever read they should really turn this into an anime, if it isn't already one, do you know how awesome that would be? Damn, I am so tired right now, but still got to complete that project due for tomorrow (last minute homework), so I'm gonna stop.

Peace Out.

AnimeLoverCat's avatar
May 2, 2016

This manga is a really wonderful story that makes history more fun to read about, since it is toold from charaacters that are living in that time. I will not spoil this Manga for anyone because it is really worth the time to read it. i read this manga over and over again and still find it so interesting to read. Dont be discouraged to read it because it is a historical romance manga with some history in it, but it is mainly about romance between Yuri and Kail. I also liked it because it wasn't one of those romances that it was love at first sight, or a normal romance without challenge toward the path to love, no it is a romance with many chanllenges to love. So if you like historical romance and can't find anything to read i suggest that you read this manga from start to finish.

daysie1234's avatar
Jan 19, 2012

I found out about Red River from the Anime Planet homepage under "Random Manga", so for me, it was like finding a hidden gem among thousands of other manga. Red River had everything I was looking for in a shojo romance manga, so I hope my following review will help you if shojo romance is your thing.

Story: Red River, in my opinion, has a Cinderella dynamic in which there is a normal girl, a prince, and a wicked stepmother. Yuri is an average girl from Japan, who is transported to 14th Century B.C. by Queen Nakia, the Tawananna of the Hittite Empire. Queen Nakia is hell bent on having her son, Prince Juda, on the throne, but there are many other princes ahead of him. If Nakia is able to slit Yuri's throat, and drain her blood, she will be able to cast a spell to eliminate all of Juda's competition. Through some circumstance, Yuri, who in this world is thought to be the reincarnation of Ishtar, the goddes of war and beauty, ends up meeting and becoming Prince Kail's (3rd prince in line) sole concubine. Kail does this to protect her from Nakia and from there, various plot twists, love triangles, and character development contribute to an excellent story. Kail is able to return her to Japan, provided the following conditions are met: she is wearing the clothes she arrived in, the springs are full of water, and the star of Ishtar is visible in the night sky.

Yuri
- Generally, shojo main characters are hit or miss as to whether you like them or not. I liked her, but she came off as a little bit too perfect. Yuri is surprisingly capable of managing wars, infiltrating behind enemy lines, and figuring out the next tactic by Nakia. She excels at being a goody-two-shoes & commander in chief of the Hititte Army. She's strong willed, stubborn, and is able to warm the hearts of practically everyone. She does, however, experience setbacks that make her grow as a character. Yuri is seen by the people as the reincarnation of the goddess Ishtar, which does it's part in contributing to explaining her success and perfect-ness throughout the whole manga.

Kail - Sexy. Mysterious. Politician. Playboy. Before Yuri meets him, he was pretty much banging everyone in sight. He swore to himself he would never have a concubine other than his wife, and would love no other. So when he takes Yuri under protection, it creates a bit of a problem. He is plagued by "I love her, but I can't have her, she doesn't belong to this world", which prevents him from being expressive about his love her Yuri. He can control air, but does not make use of this power.

Nakia - She was a Babylonian princess who was given/"sold" to the Hittite emperor as a concubine after Babylon was conquered in exchange for monetary aid. She felt lonely, and she hated Babylon for forcing her to do this. She can control water through elemental magic and uses this power frequently throughout the story. She is driven by her desire to see her son, Judah, on the throne, so much so that she schemes and causes the death of many people. It is because of her constant scheming that the story is as amazing as it is, it keeps you guessing, and keeps you turning the page because you want to know her plans for what she is doing.

Art - The art was actually pretty good. Given that this was a story about royalty, many of the scenes involves royals with ornate jewelery that, you could just tell required a bit of time to draw.

If you like historical fiction, you will love this because many of these characters are confirmed to have existed. The manga actually plays out battles that took place during this time, as well. Some of the more well known historical figures, such as Ramses, Homerheb and Nefertiti make appearances. The story arc with Kail's brother, Zannanza, is actually documented to have occured: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zannanza

Very good read, highly reccommend reading this.

Seia's avatar
Nov 5, 2014

I won't ruin this manga for any who have yet to read it. It's a shoujo romance manga that will definitely be worth the time it takes to read it all. It's a long manga but, it definitely kept me engaged throughout the entire reading. Never a dull moment. This manga sets your heart on edge and makes you have these lovely rollercoaster feelings as you read. The characters were definitely made well, The main female character, Yuuri, wasn't annoying one bit. At first she's in a strange new world so she of course panics like any normal girl woul. But it was really nice to see a change in pace versus other mangas in which she doesn't just cower about her situation, she actually makes the best of her situation rather then cry about it. If you're looking for romance, action, adventure, strong, non-sissy female characters as well as strong male characters, this is definitely worth your time to read. I would recommend this manga to anyone. Even the battles/fights are awesome for you war-loving manga readers!

fuyukiturkiye25's avatar
Dec 21, 2014

One of the best mangas ever produced and had also won an award. Worth the time reading. It's a heart thumping story with full of romance (don't forget the smut), comedy and action from the historical time of the Hitittes. You just can't help but fall in love with the main characters and their love story. You would really feel the love between them and feel sad on their struggles but it's all worth it. A very wonderful ending.