Read to Level Up - Reviews

Alt title: Chaegeul Ilgeumyeon Gyeongheomi Ssayeo

Read to Level Up
Soul72's avatar
May 12, 2021

Pretty good until chapter 121. Honestly it would had be better if they just ended there, but they added some evil organization shit and the story loss its way.

5.5/10 characters
v1ad's avatar
Nov 10, 2020

The plot is quite original, the character are quite well written and the art is decent. But reading this leave a deep feeling of frustration. the potential of the book is tremendous and the main character exploit only 20%. Moreover there is an issue with the huge number of subplots which can create a feeling of being lost.

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 art
7.5/10 characters
7.7/10 overall
Manthika's avatar
Jul 4, 2020

Mistranslation here- he gets experience points by doing things and WRITING about them.  And then he writes what skills he wants and exchanges the experience points for them.  It’s not like he’s getting experience through reading, he writes things that happen to him in a diary and gets experience points.  “Dear Diary, I found a weird diary” +25xp There’s a little more to it, but I’m not trying to spoil it for future readers.  I do appreciate that, to an extent, he has to work to develop the skills on his own, though, which is better than a lot of similar stories.  Definitely stick with it for a few chapters, because it’s lame early on.  The start doesn’t lend it any favors. And there are plot holes and inconsistencies later on too, but, you know, it’s not that bad.

As far as art goes- the cover art isn’t exactly what you’re going to get inside the story.   MC, imo, looks like a dyke but, you know.  The art is decent, if inconsistent at times.  Though, it gets annoying that the ‘speech’ bubbles and ‘thought’ bubbles are hard to tell apart.

All the characters besides MC are pretty flat personality-wise.  The “I’ll tell my father” bully, the “girl-next-door” with the unreasonable crush, the “fat nerd friend” and etc.  Just trope embodiments, I don’t care about a single one and probably neither will anyone else.

Tl;dr: I like it!  I think it’s fun!  But it’s not all that good, actually, like, in execution, since I can easily find as many faults as I can find positives, if not more.

duchessliz's avatar
Dec 18, 2020

This series has so many ups and downs. I swear, I enjoy a few chapters and the next few are utter sh*t. The art changes, though most don't seem to notice that, but hell the girl who ends up liking him in the beginning ends up looking completely different by the time she goes off screen! Even her eye color changed! Also, his first girlfriend is very much disliked by myself and many others because it give you the impression that he's going to end up with a different girl when suddenly they pull a completely different one out of the authors ass and we're just supposed to be like "oh, okay", but not, it's really not. Then you have him deciding what he wants to do with his life and the way he goes about deciding it is spur of the moment convienant asspulling by the author. Quite frankly the only reason I've stuck with the series this long is 1. I've already invested this much time in it so I at least want to know what happens until it gets unbearable (which it's gotten close several times) 2. I want to know if he ends up with the restaurant girl eventually (if he had a brain, it would have already happened) and 3. What the hell is up with that book?

..........

So yeah, I'm not giving this series a recommendation. It's pretty trash to be honest.

Len453's avatar
Jul 17, 2020

It's similar to the idea of leveling up but it's through writing in a book

What I really like about it is that (uptill ch19 at least) the MC is really kind, nothing out of revenge nothing out of malice or the usual leveling up ideas.

He's genuinely kind and nice to those around him, sure he gets a lot of good opportunities and conncetions because of his new talents but he's actually putting time in the volunteering and stuff sooo he's pretty cool

Art is also cute, and they had *spoiler* him draw a nice image of virgin mary and baby jesus which surpirised me