Queen in the Shadows - Reviews

Alt titles: Geurimja Hwangbi, Shadow Queen

Queen in the Shadows
YukinaZero's avatar
Nov 26, 2020

What started off as a strong beginning with a promising female lead, ended in a big bumpster fire of a mess. It's a shame because I really did like this story before. However after a while the plot started becoming boring because the pacing was too slow. Then towards the ending I realized that all the male interests were trash and that I became pissed off whenever one of them appeared on the pages.

The red head especially made my skin crawl with disdain. I assume they had plans to make him into some form of yandere white knight character later in the story but I honestly couldn't be bothered to give a crap about that asshole. 😒

When it became clear that she would get back together with her Ex from the past life, that was the final nail on the coffin for me. I understand that there might be a lot of people out there that have regrets about past relationships and maybe this is wish fulfillment for them. Like a "if things had been different he would have loved me. I knew he was actually a good person all along!" Which is just so... 🤢

Personally I think these story's should stop encouraging young impressionable minds that it's ok to get back together with your abuse lover just because they changed there attitude for a while.

3.9/10 overall
ImRandomJean's avatar
Nov 7, 2020

I really liked this webtoon and I recommend it.

The Story is interesting: A girl is chosen as a substitute for the daughter of a duke but there are some challenges in being the substitute. Especially when she was just a toy (the duke+ others were lying). So it's a revenge webtoon that we see a lot, but not your usual type, maybe?
The "revenge" genre is used so well! I don't find it slower than other manhwas I completely got drawn into this story! As you read, you're only going to be wondering what she's going to do next or why she did a certain thing.

The Art is sometimes not special, sometimes good (the background and objects are so clean though). The style isn't my favourite but I'm not disappointed at all. (When I say it like that it feels like I'm saying it's 'good enough' but no, it's quite nice already)

The Characters are shown little by little (point of view of the mc) and well balanced. The relationships and all are interesting, and some things can be comprehended with a little bit of reflexion . Also the female lead isn't stupid (even quite OP at plotting) but is not all-knowing nor invulnerable, which makes her more human but always intelligent and surprising.

Overall, the webtoon was fun to read, the ambience isn't dark but interesting and the mc is a little badass and intelligent girl.

P.S: Unfortunately, the Webtoon stopped entirely at chapter 60 because of artist issues. It's still kind of an end of season and there is still the novel.. but whatever.. It was still a good read for me and I'm satisfied with that

molopower's avatar
Feb 26, 2022

If Queen in the shadows were to be actually completed it could rank as an 8 or a 9. But as It currently stands, I'm guessing it was cancelled because what is currently on offer is a fraction of the plot. Is there worth to, reading a story without a proper conclusion, especially one based on revenge?

6.2/10 overall
ladidie's avatar
Aug 13, 2021

This was really interesting in the beginning, where she gets reincarnated back to her original place and she repeats her whole journey to become Veronica. This story is not as good as others, because honestly this is more about Lucia and using her character to take revenge slowly rather than the fraud herself. She is very smart, but I don't want to see Lucia! But, I think she'll soon stop using her..but sadly they are dropping this due to the artist being treating unfairly, so it will stop at around chapter 60. I wonder how that will work out, but RIP to this masterpiece.

MinRei's avatar
Sep 8, 2020

Though it may be too early to talk about the story proper, I think we should give credit to where its due. The art is pretty and what is there to hate about a family that loves each other?

7.5/10 art