Pulse

Add review
Kaori98's avatar
Nov 14, 2017

Pulse is Ratana Satis's 2nd work following her success of Lily Love. This webtoon focuses on the relationship between a doctor and a patient. It also has a sort of tragic ring to the story that I'm sure will attract and appeal to readers out there. This also includes a bit of mature content however it doesn't always focus on it. Painstaking and attractive is the perfect words to describe this webtoon comic. Pulse also includes plenty of cute interactions and comedic moments that help enhances the reader's enjoyment.

Plot/Story: Pulse's plot is definitely heart-capturing as it features a severly sick Lynn who views the world as a child and 'love' as something from a fantasy world that is beautiful. She's innocent but definitely not foolish, Lynn eventually falls head over heels for Mel (a well-known surgeon from the hospital she goes to) who is the complete opposite of her. Mel is your typical play girl who feels that love is nothing more but a tool for fun and games. She fools around with her co-workers using her charms to attract them. The base of the plot is strong with a 'sort of' tragic ring to it and that really adds to the element of the story. Interactions between both characters are cute and at the same time sexy. I rate 8.5/10.

Art: Ratana Satis is a thai artist that has made a name for herself. Her art has and always will be amazing, this is one level up from Lily Love (her 1st work) as Pulse comes in full colour. The attention given to the characters ae realistic and simple, yet alluring and beautiful. The artist really views art as the core of the comic as she pours her heart into drawing and creating them. The art style is unique and the characters are given a very mature touch to them. I absolutely love it. I rate 9/10.

Characters: The way both characters are matched up are just perfect. Usually a character lineup like this is quite common but Pulse made it work well. Character development is huge for Mel and focuses on how she eventually change herself because of how much she loves Lynn. The development is steady and amazing, to add on, it isn't being pushed on like other comics. I rate 8.5/10.

Overall: Pulse has a good and steady plot and is very well written, the artist does not try to rush over the story or attempt to extend the story more than it already is. On the upside this comic is already completed! An amazing work by an amazing artist. I rate 8.5/10.

Personal Opinion: Very much like any other Yuri comic out there Pulse is one of my personal favourite as the story is bright and colourful with a hint of angst including heart-wrenching moments. The character interactions can leave its viewers squeling in delight.

8.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
N2O's avatar
Apr 17, 2019

Pretty good! Has some bad characters and poorly paced character development, and on top of that it has some fantastical plot which clashes with how it tries to be "mature" by using grittier themes and copious amounts of sex; comes off as tryhard and falls a bit flat, especially with how everyone is a lesbian in this and homophobia isn't a thing. Despite all of this the romance and character dynamics are somehow so strong that it's still an engaging read, just get past the first 10 chapters or so! It also doesn't go very hard on the heart metaphore despite being titled Pulse, which I'm immensely grateful for.

Anahita1379's avatar
Mar 17, 2019

Oh jeez It was one of the best mangas I have ever read, I really loved it.

LeCyclohexane's avatar
Mar 16, 2018

This is one of the first Yuri I've ever read, trying my way before with more classic manga.

Mel a renowned hearth surgeon does not believe in love, goes freom girl to girl whithout sentiments. She meet Lynn, a cheerful girl despite her health condition. Lynn holds on to the betg that she can make Mel fall in love with her, in exchange of what Lynn would have to go through surgery to treat her condition.

I am not going further into the story, I think you need to discover it by yourself, just take my  word that it is good. While the general plot is not the best thing I've ever read, it is very well made to show us the evolution of the characters. Every situation makes the relationship between Lynn and Mel evolve, nothing is here just to build volume, every scene has a purpose. It can be cheerful at times, but also more dark and sad, filled with gravitas, I've met a whole lot of feelings reading this. Mel a a total badass, while Lynn is a real sunshine, the two characters are really interesting and loveable. It is impossible not to want them to be happy together.

I loved the art, I love the full color. The characters are well drawn, their emotions well communicated. The author knows how to play with the color palette to create the right mood in the scenes. I actually don't know much about drawing so I'll stop about the fact that I really loved it.

Seriously read it, if you like it you can support the author by buying it on Lezhin, you can also find some goodies and book versions of this on Ratana Satis facebook page.

8.5/10 story