Princess in the Rough - Reviews

Alt title: Sseuregijang Sok Hwangnyeonim

Princess in the Rough
upsidepenguin's avatar
Oct 3, 2020

It's really promising except for in the romance department. Characters were good, plot was pretty good.

The father-daughter relationship is cute. The father isn't a cruel dictator, and the siblings are friendly and curious. The staff (maids, butler, etc.) also have no bad intentions. In later chapters, Estrella meets the Empress, and I'm pleasantly surprised that the Empress is so nice - and no, it doesn't seem to be fake nice either! The Emperor and Empress also have a good relationship.

As of now, all characters are quite refreshing and adorable. Basically, there's little internal drama, and mostly wholesome moments, while still keeping the story interesting. It's refreshing to see a "stranger out of nowhere joins royal family" story that doesn't involve jealousy. It seems our main character has an interesting power. Bonus for fantasy! I'm excited to see more of the story!

The current conflict is interesting to read, and the world-building is quite good. A bad guy has shown up, and the story is setting up a mission/adventure for our princess.

The art looks great, though a small detail that I don't like is that the shading looks a bit solid-y, kind of like when you use gradient for shading (but the art isn't bad to that extent). Anyway, the art is one of the better ones out there for sure.

I have high hopes for the manhwa.

MinKwonKwon's avatar
Sep 13, 2022

Yeah this story and art don't match each other so does it really matter? Nothing annoys me more than a team who can't communicate. What do I mean by chapter 20 it's obvious. go look at all the children eyes(jeweled different colors but obviously jeweled) , look at the father eyes,(not jeweled) look at what they are saying ( no one else has jeweled eyes like what are the three blue eye parasitic tumors eyes, the literally the reason the female lead is acknowledged is because she has the same eyes as the other royal family members, oh wait they magically don't exist) and then question how anyone didn't correct that mistake.

I had more complaints but obviously it's the lack of attention to detail like that which irks me. I wanted them to correct why they drew the father that way not over correct to the point now you have to explain why the children are drawn that way legit instead just say something like "once a child is born the former generation of children inherit the jewel eyes causing the parents to lose them as a show of passing on the power" yes i know that's dumb but seriously anything is better than what they did.

Aureliaaa17's avatar
Mar 12, 2023

[2023.01.24] I remember the princess being feral since she was abandoned for so long and forgotten? I think I dropped this because the plot was kinda boring.

IrisWhite143's avatar
Nov 13, 2020

The story is really good and has a lot of potentials. It's also kind of funny yet sad; I can't wait till the next chapter.

MidnightLace's avatar
May 16, 2022

I love this story so much. It is one of the best stories I've read. I was so sad when it went into hiatus, and you don't even know how excited I was when it came back. I can't wait to see how the story develops further, and the potential it has is massive.

The characters are great! Her family is amazing, even though she came out of no where (to them) they immediately love her and treat like family. Her father is the first she opens up to and who she really bonds with; and the empress (not her biological mother) cares for her, and treats her like one of her own children. My only wish is that the MC interacts with her siblings more, and we could see them bond even more.

The only reason why I didn't give this manhwa a 10/10 was because of the change in art style between season 1 and 2; personally, I think season 1 had better art by a mile. But I still really enjoy the story.

9.3/10 overall