Otomen

Add review
Vejhed's avatar
Jul 7, 2014

Story - 7/10

The story is quite slow-moving, and doesn't really heat up until well into the series around the 10th or 11th volume.  In addition, the first few volumes are riddled with filler chapter, which I attribute to the manga's need to develope the characters and set up a basis for situations that occur later in the series.

That being said, yes the story in itself is rather uneventful, and exactly what you would expect from a shojo romance, but if that's what you came for I have no doubt you'll like it. I did.

Art - 10/10

The art in this series is amazing and spot on. Very clean, sparkly, and , of course, adorable.

Characters 8/10

One good thing about this series is that there isn't an overabundance of characters. Three main characters, and about five to eight minor ones.

All of the characters have distinguishable character traits and looks so you won't find yourself confusing one for the other. They are also pretty funny, all in their own ways, and there was many a time when I laughed aloud at their antics.

All the characters are believable within the realm of the story and they compliment eachother well, so that no one character is more overbearing than another.  I would say that all the characters get a fair amount of facetime for their importance to the story.

The only complaint I have is the level of development given to some of the minor characters.  There are one or two in particular I would have liked to know a little better, and I wish the story could have shown us a little more of their lives and motivations, but all in all, I thought the characters were pretty solid.

Overall - 8/10

I honestly enjoyed Otomen, and even teared up a bit towards the end, though it's probably not one I would read again simply for it's slow moving nature and thin plot.