Only I Level Up: Solo Leveling (Novel) - Reviews

Alt titles: I Alone Level-Up (Novel), Na Honjaman Level-Up (Novel)

Only I Level Up: Solo Leveling (Novel)
Magika's avatar
Apr 22, 2020

Solo Leveling was an amazing read, filled with laughs, tears, and lots of high stakes suspense. The concept is simple and easy to grasp, but its made compelling through its frim and well-explained rules on the world and its interesting characters. The story contains a lot of surprises actually, quite a few plot twists rest within this seemingly normal web novel, so be prepared to always be on your toes.

The story itself focuses on the life of Jin-Woo and his struggles at being on the bottom of Hunter society, barely making enough money to pay for his mom's medical bills and his younger sister's schooling. Jin-Woo, however, gets an amazing opportunity when he discovers the "system", a holographic screen full of stats and quests only he can see. The System urges him to become stronger, giving him missions and objectives to complete so that he can raise his rank and become the most powerful hunter not only in South Korea but in the whole world. The story follows his struggles, from his long "grinding" dungeon crawls to become stronger, to his social life that he's trying to stitch back together, while also trying to keep the world at large in the dark about his new powers.

The best part about Solo Leveling though has to hands down be the interesting powers the main character gets, the fight scenes that come from them, and the side characters who only get a few lines of characterization but you love them so much (and I'll stop here before I spoil anything.)

By no means is Solo Leveling a "quick read" but it is a worthy one. If you are a fan of video games, fantasy, and/or action-heavy combat scenes you will love Solo Leveling.

9.8/10 story