Non Non Biyori - Reviews

Non Non Biyori
SliceOfLime's avatar
Jun 30, 2022

For those unfamiliar with the concept of iyashikei, it is basically a type of slice-of-life manga, designed to heal one's soul and provide maximum comfort to the reader.
To me, Non Non Biyori is the golden standard for that specific sub-genre. A series that takes us back to better (and simpler) times. The "High Hopes" of the weebish world, one might say.

There is no overarching [story] to follow here. Just a bunch of kids having fun and enjoying nature to its fullest. A simple premise, with very solid execution.

Each panel transmits that [art]istic message perfectly — beauty stemming from the planet itself. No flourish, just a land minimally scarred by the presence of mankind.

Much like the [characters], I suppose: still untarnished by society's tight grip. Finding happiness in the smallest of things. Never forgetting the Picassian concept that "every child is an artist."

NNB is truly an experience for weary hearts, and your enjoyment will vary based on where you currently are in life.
If you're anything like me this will be all you need to once again remember "the nights of wonder." And for that it deserves the [overall] score of... 10/10.