No Doubt in Us - Reviews

Alt titles: Liang Bu Yi, The Emperor's New Body

No Doubt in Us
Pilgrim3's avatar
Jul 9, 2021

A sweet and humorous manhua!

The story was good. There wasn't any unnecessary drama, and all the story arcs were good. I liked that it mostly focused on the interactions between the characters. However, the climax at the end was good and I enjoyed the plot.

The art was fine; not the best, but also not the worst. Not memorable, and just average for me.

I loved the FL and how strong she was. I didn't like the ML as much, but grew to like him more over time. The secondary characters were also great, particularly the brother. He was hilarious!

It was my first time reading a manhua, and for me it wasn't as good as manhwas, but it still exceeded my expectations!
I do wish there was more to the ending though... *cough cough* like kids...

Overall, this was a super cute manhua. Not a lot happening, and pretty chill, but also funny and cute! Read it if you want a break from life!

autumnglory's avatar
May 9, 2022

It says a lot about the quality of a story when side characters have a better plot than the main characters themselves. I'm more invested in the Emperor's younger brother, and his relationship with the Grandmaster, than the Emperor and Empress. The art of the manga is alright. Nothing stunning or spectacular. The story is your run of the mill court/palace drama, with scheming concubines, scheming officials who want to overthrow the Emperor, etc. What really annoys me is the characters.

- The Emperor, Xiao Jinyun

• His reason for disliking the Empress is stupid. At first, he thought she was beautiful, so he wrote a poem for her, and then when he went to give it to her, he overheard her saying how he's a "boring bookworm". Turns out, she wasn't even talking about him! She was talking about a teacher she had when she was younger! Just from this one thing he overheard, he disliked the Empress since then. He has many other crimes he has to atone for: thinking her family is conspiring against him when in actuality they are loyal to the country, never defending his wife from his mother the Empress Dowager or the other concubines (for example, when they come up with schemes like accusing the Empress of causing miscarriages for the other concubines), etc.

• He has the audacity to say things in the comic like "a husband and wife should have trust in each other. I trust you, do you trust me?" WTF? You're the jerk who's always taken the side of his concubines or mother as opposed to your own wife. Do you know how long she had to suffer in silence, hiding her feelings for you?

- The Empress Dowager

• She is a horrible woman. She constantly favored the Noble Consort over Xu Yu, the Empress and her daughter-in-law. She poisoned Xu Yu by giving her poison in incense burners, that would have damaged Xu Yu so badly that she could have never had children. Thankfully, it didn't get to that point, but it was awful for Xu Yu because she always wanted children of her own. When she sees Xu Yu and Yingming, the Emperor's younger brother bantering and talking together, she thinks they're flirting?! WTF!

• Another reason I hate the Emperor. He never does anything to punish his mother. By the end of the comic, she's still alive, she's still the Empress Dowager. There is no punishment for poisoning Xu Yu. I hate how in this comic, she acts "caring" and "attentive" to Xu Yu when she finds out she is pregnant, as if she wasn't the one to poison her!!!

• When the Emperor's father died, she was also the one to push her son to give more political power to his uncle. It's no wonder later on that his uncle betrayed him, planned to assasinate him, led a rebellion against him, etc.

- The Noble Consort, Zhao Qiluo

• In most of the comic, she is a scheming b**ch who constantly tries to seize power, or frame Xu Yu for various crimes. Then, at the end of the comic when she discovers that Xu Yu and the Emperor switched bodies (at this point, they had already switched back, but she didn't know that), she gets cozy with Xu Yu, believing she's the Emperor. The author tries to redeem her by getting her to lead the other concubines in batle against the invaders (the Emperor's uncle's men). No way. Doing this doesn't redeem her for what she did for literally 90% of the comic. We never even get to see her reaction to the fact that she was wrong about the body switch. It's not like she genuinely grew to like Xu Yu either, she was only doing all of this because she thought it was the Emperor. This is not chracter development. You can argue that her punishment is losing her position/being demoted, no longer being the Noble Consort, no longer having a chance with the Emperor since he already has a son with the Empress, but I don't think so. She's still alive. She's still a concubine in the Emperor's harem. She doesn't pay for her crimes, just like the Empress Dowager. Never mind the fact that she blackmailed another concubine, who eventually committed suicide because of her, and all her other plans.

This story could have been great, it really could have. But what I see is a story held back by nonsensical story elements, villains who are not punished for their crimes, and a love story that I could care less about. Xu Yu deserves better. While she was in the Emperor's body, she literally ended a war, created peaceful diplomatic relations with the former enemy leader, etc. The Emperor could not accomplish nearly as much in her body. Xu Yu should just run away with the Tartar queen, Huna. Huna was one of the best side characters: strong, smart, and able to discern that Xu Yu and the Emperor had switched bodies. She makes a great friend for Xu Yu. Xu Yu always loved the Emperor, and she is a kind and honest person. She's not like the other scheming concubines in the harem. And yet, the Emperor never treated her well, untiil they switched bodies. He still doesn't deserve her by the end of the story.

Rxyna's avatar
Jun 1, 2019

This webtoon is so good. If you're looking for some hilarious webtoon you gotta check this. His majesty's brother is fuckin cute and funny.

LaylaLux's avatar
Jul 25, 2021

Worth every second spent very beautiful manhwa.

upsidepenguin's avatar
Dec 11, 2020

One of the few quality manhuas out there. After switching bodies, the emperor and empress gradually understand each other's life more, and I love the development in their relationship. Their dynamic is one of my favourites. I could really see the love growing between the two of them.

The turn of events is highly interesting as well.

Definitely recommend this.

If I remembered correctly, you can read this for free on the Webcomics app. Download it to your phone, and for the first 24 (or was it 48?) hours you can read all manhuas on the app for free.

8.5/10 art