My Gently Raised Beast - Reviews

Alt titles: Gopge Kiwotdeoni, Jimseung, I Raised the Beast Well

My Gently Raised Beast
shakbait123's avatar
Jan 4, 2021

I might be a little too generous but this manga is a breath of fresh air compared to the serious wet blankets I was reading before it.  In terms of story, it's nothing super original, but it's honestly hard to be original with all the stories out there.  A girl meet a cute cat who is actually a divine being, and the cute cat is cute.  The art is as cute as the story.  Not amazing, like a lot of the full color royalty mangas out there, but definitely cute and not off-putting.

Definitely give this a shot if you want something lighthearted and fun.

upsidepenguin's avatar
Apr 19, 2021

The title is a bit deceiving. The "beast" ML isn't raised by the FL exactly like pet and master or someone eternally grateful to their saviour. Their relationship is more like companionship (friendship-ish, of course, it grows into romance later on) and I really like that dynamic.

As the other reviewer mentioned, it really is a breath of fresh air, even though it still follows the normal formulas of a historical romance. Blondina is a person who can stand up for herself and knows her boundaries well, but she doesn't stand up for herself in a way that's reckless (i.e. not bitch-slapping OP style that some webtoons portray their invincible FLs doing), but in a more tactful way. She knows when to back down and be the bigger person. I like her level-headedness.

The ML, Amon, is a bit possessive. However, I enjoyed reading their conversations and watching them grow their friendship gradually over 19 chapters before getting to the romance part.

They age up gradually from 11-ish to 20-ish in the span of 19 chapters, and in the chapters of about 16-19 the ageing felt a bit quick, like I didn't even realise there was an age change. But that also makes the story progress more quickly to get to the more interesting parts faster, so it's a good trade-off, I guess.

The plot is interesting. Transforming magical black leopards, slight nobility drama, and a nice romance between two childhood friends sound interesting, yes? It would be really interesting if Blondina is revealed to be the descendant of god that was needed to subdue the black leopard clan, as I would like to see how the dynamics play out.

The art is good. It looks up to standards like most historical fantasy romance webtoons. If I had one thing to complain about, it's that I sometimes don't like the way they draw the eyelashes and fingers.

You should give this a read if you want some nice friends to lovers historical fantasy stuff.

tempesthorne99's avatar
May 17, 2021

Review:
Uwu! Such such lovely, cute and interesting story! The characters are well-rounded especially the mc and ml. I love how straightforward the mc is, and just word slaps everyone elegantly with the truth. And the cat is so overprotective of his 'Bridey'.

The dynamics between the two is like a breathe of purity. It starts with friendship and understanding, which I think would eventually turn into love. Of course, there's also a hint of spice where in the future, Amon might have a rival.

The plot also has a deep background which was explained, in a timely manner and isn't overwhelming the readers of mystery and madness. It just keeps you craving, as it leaves you open hints of what might happen  in the future.

Synopsis:

Blondina was an orphan who was later learned as the bastard child of the emperor. Even tho she entered the palace as a princess, she was still shunned and ostracised. But then one day, she happens to meet this cute little OP cat that's apparently not a cat.

9.5/10 characters