My Dear Cold-Blooded King - Reviews

My Dear Cold-Blooded King
Ponyo18's avatar
Jun 29, 2020

Let's see.

All was well until it turned into a love triangle.

All was okay until it turned it a reverse harem.

All was bad when she became a damsel in distress.

She learned/is learning to fight, she was good too when chasing the ML. But then two other guys appear and suddenly kidnapping her is like taking candy from a baby. Not to mention she so is dense, the dude literally comes to her room at night and she still doesn't know why. The story was simple and childish. The male leads are dumb, except for the main.

To be honest, the art was great but then as the story worsened, I feel like the art became bad (in my eyes). It reminds me of the Pocahontas animation and I don't like that. And the character movements look so stiff. (BTW, I read this up to chapter 124.)

4.5/10 overall
mathismagic's avatar
Jan 16, 2018

I liked this one a LOT. It hits all the buttons I wanted to be hit for 'sorta trashy historical fantasy romance' comic, but is a little... smarter about it,maybe, than average? For example, the main heroine gets into about 3 fights in the first few chatpers where she's overpowered... and then it's acknowledged that it's a character flaw that she gets into fights she can't win because she wants to fight injutsice like her older brother did, and she works to get stronger and learn more about what's going on as soon as she can to help counter that flaw.

I also appreciate that the 'humorous' sorta sexual harass-y character is pretty well framed as in the wrong, and that she asserts her boundaries very clearly, even though he has power over her and she needs his help, so she can't distance herself from him completely.

There's a really intriguing plot tied up in mysteries and politics, and I'm really excited to see where it goes.

The art is gorgeous and atomspheric, and the sound track that plays for some chapters helps set the mood even further.

andreichekov's avatar
Aug 19, 2018

so, this has soooo many problems, but I'll start with the good points

The art is beautiful. I thank God everyday that artists like this exist in this world. Then i see them writing the stories as well and remember that people have limited talents.

Characters are acceptable. They are all beleivable people.

Now the story is a hot mess. It reads like the author hasn't planned anything ahead of time and just draws what comes to mind each week. The plot reveals are hamfisted. The sequence of events are either misplaced in tempo, or so contrived that it feels like you are reading the plans for a story rather than the story itself.

I really wanted to like this. The premise was interesting, I mean it kept me for 46 chapters, but eventually, I just couldn't overlook the childish and simplistic storytelling.

mary143's avatar
Jul 7, 2018

If i can recomend this to any one that loves a historica romance or even a  webcomic it is one of the best web comic's i have been reading yet. It has a good story line with homer that is funny and intresting to read and watch. yes 'watch' you can watch this web story on youtube and by the youtuber Ruka Samuels who the voice of mei kihare in the web show i will recomend that you would go and watch this as you wold get a better understanding if you watch or even listen insted of reading thats my opinion i prefer to watch insted of reading but it is unfinished so you will have to read the rest untill saturday comes round again. Apart from hayate who gets on my neaves it is a good webcomic 10/10 for me.

amaprime's avatar
Feb 18, 2020

The story starts off great and the plot is extremely intriguing. You are constantly questioning who she is going to end up with and the love triangle is bearable. There is a lot of mystery regarding the past of the characters and the causes for a lot of the present conflict, and when you finally obtain answers for these questions in the recent chapters you find yourself underwhelmed. The resolution to the conflicts are such cop outs and SPOILERSSSSSSSSS there is no bloodshed, sacrifice, war, or any sort of climactic release of all of the builtup tension between the characters. Instead you get this extremely vanilla ending where everyone makes up and it's all fine and dandy. You would think that they were making up over who ate the last slice of pizza by how amicable it ends. The reason why this sort of peace treaty type of ending upsets me is that it makes all of the conflict and schemes that took several chapters to develop so pointless if all it took was ONE SINGLE CONVERSATION to resolve all of it. There is no redempion or punishment. Everyone just has a happy ending for the sake of a happy ending.

The story is still enjoyable. But towards the end the character development plateaus and their arc remains stagnant. It's not a bad read though just ok.