Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Reviews

Oct 22, 2020

Light spoilers~
(Got up to chapter 24)

#Rudylivesdontmatter

Summary: A 34-years-old NEET otaku is chased out from his house by his family. Unattractive and penniless, he finds that he has reached a dead end in life and realizes that his life actually could have been much better if he had made better choices in the past. Just when he was at the point of regret, he saw a truck moving at a fast speed straight towards three high schoolers in its path. Mustering all the strength he had, he tried to save them and ended up getting run over by the truck, quickly ending his life. The next time he opened his eyes, he was already reincarnated into a world of sword and magic as Rudeus Greyrat. Born to a new world, a new life, Rudeus decided that, “This time, I’ll really live my life to the fullest with no regret!” Thus, starts the journey of a man yearning to restart his life.
Currently: On going

I remember reading this when it had a couple of chapters, it was alright, it wasn't amazing but it was bearable. There were some parts of the story where I just wanted to neck everyone on site, because they were just so idiotic, an example would be on chapter 5, the dad decided to go and get the damn maid pregnant, Rudy literally guilt tripped his mother when he should of known that it would be better if they split up, to some people that might not really enter you mind, but as a child on where my parents relationship was based on constant cheating and mistrust, it isn't necessarily good for the children to bare witness to that and its better to move yourself from the situation even if it may hurt your children for a moment.

Also to continue, Rudy is a literal pervert, I can handle that and honestly wouldnt mind that much. But with Slyphie or whatever her name is, he thought about dating her when she was a child- isnt that technically pedophilia, I understand that he is indeed in a childs body, but to feel sexual intrest to a child despite having the mindset of a 30 whatever old is gross.

Theres a scene I believe around the 7-9 chapter mark (not certain) on where he watches that chick get beaten up and he's like 'okay- anyway.' I'm curious on why he thought that it was okay, I am aware it was to put her in her position and for her to stop being so snobbish and for her to look at him for help.
- Just reviewed one of the chapters and he just thought about having sex with her while she was bound- urk.

The only reason this review didn't end in a downright 0 was because of Philips ass and the mothers.

Overall, wouldn't really recommend. If you like it good for you, it isn't for everyone but it could be one of your future favourites so read up to chapter 15 if you decide to give it a try.

TazzyTheTiger's avatar
Dec 25, 2020

The first like 20 chapters were really good. But after the random teleportation thing happened, it turned to shit. It randomly skips to events that aren't explained at all. The main character is pretty bland, and while he has character development, his personality is super flat. Also, this isn't something I would consider a harem considering he switches girls every 10 chapters. This had so much potential I really wish the author would have not been lazy about it.

konpyuutasan's avatar
Jun 7, 2020

As an entry in the modern isekai genre, Mushoku Tensei falls short in terms of storytelling, in particular pacing and world-building. It's hard to care about the rather shallow and bland characters.  The characters are difficult to relate too and both their interactions and behaviours are at times hard to believe-- they also don't seem to matter to the on-rails story to begin with. It plays the stereotypes and tropes of the genre entirely straight but somehow manages to feel patchy and disjointed nevertheless. I get the feeling this is another example of a work that is best appreciated somewhere inbetween the novel and adaptations, but neither rendition will really stand on its own-- an unfortunate reality of so much isekai. Every plot device is a "deus ex machina", which is really quite unfortunate, and I'm guessing there will be tons of plot armour as the action picks up.

It is on the other hand quite a popular release, especially among younger readers. For readers who are looking for a no-frills, played-straight iseaki without any twists or complications, it might make for a good page-turner over the summer holidays-- however, for veterans of the genre there really are no redeeming qualities beyond the acceptable artwork. That being said, there are definitely much worse examples of terrible storytelling in isekai out there, but if you're expecting an interesting fantasy world or a new take on the isekai premise, this is definitely not it.

MonarqueCeleste's avatar
Jan 6, 2021

Saw the trailer for the anime and I was like "didn't I read that thing?" so I came here but I didn't update it so I had to go skip read to catch up again. I immediately remembered that I hated this. I enjoy isekai and bath in them daily so when I started this one it was the same. Similar beginning with OP MC and all but quickly came the cheating chapter, that was the first blow. I didn't personally mind his perverted personality at all.

Then came the second part where he got teleported, the story just started turning into crap after that. He was annoying, the new characters were annoying, everybody was annoying. And then eveything just accelerate and the story fast forward multiple times. I ended up hating him because fro a 34 yo dude he really acted like a kid. It almost NEVER happens that these isekaite lose brain cells so the argument that they live in a kid body doesn't work. If it was the case they wouldn't be a genius who remembers their previous life so be consistent and make the MC mature. The very specific scene that made me drop this was when he had an altercation with his father later on, that was so cringe I just wanted to never see that ish again.

SmileyRabbit's avatar
Dec 24, 2017

Amazing

PROTAGONIST [ Slight details into the Sypnosis]

Our protagonist is a 35+ yrar old man that makes enough mistakes in his life to become the homeless bum you hear your parents talk about the story makes his death feel more or less like a mercy killing.

in his next life he uses his knowledge of his old mistakes to make himself more determined to become someone special in his new life.

Needless to say thanks to his experience he becomes a op prodigy according to the first volume however he is not too op he still have the needed weaknesses and struggles.

The characters in this story are all very loveable and have many struggles and development there is even a cool Notable twist in the story that i won't spoil about the race of one of the characters.

The protagonist and the characters all have great development after the end of the first volume where you meet some of them.

STORY

The story is also great and it is due to world changing event that happens in the story that forces the characters to change and get more interesting.

I can't wait to see why the event happened and how it was caused not to mention the fact that even if the protaonist reaches his current goal he will undeniably have a new one because....

[SPOILERS]

Despite them trying to return home it is revealed in the most recent chapters that the home they were trying to go back to has been destroyed and all of the people who got caught up in it are lost in who knows where making their own private developments along the years.Many have not been revealed yet but its been 4 years since it happened.