Murderous Lewellyn’s Candlelit Dinner - Reviews

Alt title: Sarinma Llewellyn Ssiui Nangmanjeogin Jeongchan

Murderous Lewellyn’s Candlelit Dinner
thequietclover's avatar
Jul 23, 2022

"The only difference is whether they're bad to you, or bad to others."

Speaking honestly, I had really high hopes reading this series after seeing the stellar reviews. The setting and characters indeed had IMMENSE potential, especially with it being in the Mystery genre, but it was ruined by the pacing of the story. Certain hints and expectations given to us readers later turn out less climactic than expected, or just not that relevant, which would impact the flow of the story.

The series begins with Shavonne who is struggling to get by as a ghostwriter living in a shady, crime-fest of a town. He meets a handsome yet "eccentric" man one day, who's sitting on the stairway peeling onions till he cries. This man turns out to be his neighbor, whom Shavonne discovers is keeping a dark secret. But in that town, who isn't a criminal? As the story progresses, we soon learn that there is much much more to Lewellyn's secret than what meets the eye.

I felt super confused and lost up until around CH 30, after which my confusion became a little more resolved. At this stage, I had chalked it up to its Mystery genre and figured this feeling was intentionally created by the author. Creating dissonance and then satisfaction as readers slowly put together the big picture. Sadly, even as the story went on, the pacing remained very surreal where I wasn't quite sure what was going on because the way the puzzle fit together didn't completely resolve my questions. This is related to what I said about expectations not living up to the actual plot. I won't specify too deeply in order to avoid spoilers. For instance, I thought the author was giving us some kind of hint by pointing out Lewellyn's black/cracked fingernails. But apparently, that's just how his hands are? XD Later, the resolution of the mystery just comes rushing in all at once, and then just as quickly the antagonists are suddenly defeated by outside forces before the story ends. I don't think the hints we are given made enough sense for readers to slowly piece things together before the truth is suddenly dumped out. At the climax, antagonists suddenly take actions that don't make sense (ie. someone who normally doesn't drink alcohol due to intolerance suddenly downs an entire bottle, someone with a baton lunges at a gun-holding person) to get defeated. As such, the ending resolution felt quite rushed; The author just used narration to explain what happened later and called it a day.

Another aspect, which I personally dont mind too much, but could be a con for others, is the couple dynamic. As we learn more about the two characters, we understand their form of love for each other results from the environment they grew up in. So, Shavonne essentially falls in love because he fears dying alone and literally no one else treats him well. Lewellyn falls in love in a mad, obsessed manner also because no one else treats him well (and other reasons). This kind of love isn't a good nor healthy ideal so it might cause people discomfort - but then again it makes sense considering their environments.

There is quite a bit of angst as we learn the truth, which I personally enjoy, but the execution of the story could have definitely been better. It wasn't as enjoyable of a read as I hoped it would be.

6.5/10 story
6.5/10 characters
AFL's avatar
Nov 6, 2021

One of the best psychological/ thriller/ romance bls out there ever!! At first I was kinda afraid of blondie ngl I didn't like him, but later on I started loving him so much I can't describe it. It's just such an amazing story. TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED!!

fluffyarr0w's avatar
Jan 6, 2022

seriously, as far as ive read now, ive grown to love everything. there is definitely character development, the plot has so much potential and they are doing. so. freaking. well. in this manhwa. the characters are so cool and the art for them too. the backstories are amazing, and each chapter leaves you fulfilled and anticipating the next. its all in the exceptional storytelling- must read!! the first part may feel a bit boring, but trust me, stick with the mystery and keep reading!! i fully support the male leads omigosh they are so compatible yet have individual issues and an incredible backstory of their own that we can see them resolve. vibes are immaculate hidden gem of a manhwa. (i actually am not sure if this is a manhwa, sorry if i used the wrong term!) i don't think i will ever find another bl on par with this one

TaraGreen's avatar
Mar 21, 2021

I loved this manga! I got to reading it as i wanted something similar to killing stalking, but its nothing like it(only the killer part). I have read many mangas and this one is so unique ahhh i lovee it and can't wait until more chapters come out. If your thinking about reading this DO IT. Highly reccommend!!!!

jonginsito's avatar
Oct 11, 2021

empecé a leer esta historia sin esperar mucho de ella pero me impresionó muchísimo.

mientras más avanza la historia más te atrapa llegando incluso al punto donde no puedes dejar de leer ni por un momento.

la pareja principal tiene toda una historia detrás la cual me pone extremadamente triste pero me reconforta un poco el hecho de que se reencuentran en el futuro.

un manhwa super recomendable! ( ˊᵕˋ )