Moritat - Reviews

Moritat
yuzururu1207's avatar
Dec 16, 2016

Hello~ It's my first review, but I have read 100+ manga and watched 100+ anime so I am pretty decent source I guess.. And, uhmm I am ESL (English as Second Language) so please excuse my bad english..

My review might be little bit biased since I am super into psychology, mystery, smart guy stories which is exactly Moritat hehe..

Anyways, here is the review....  I will try to keep the review spoiler free...

hmm.. so the genre is pretty much psychology/mystery..  Jesse Brown (MC, blue hair) wakes up without any memory.. He have nightmares that has Law, who is his self claimed lover, and although Jesse does not remember his memories, he questions Law and decide what to believe.. More than remembering, he kind of learn about himself I gues... Either way, this story is not like usual amnesia where main character gains memory bit by bit, it has some nice plot twists and mystery in it...  I would say Jesse is pretty similar to L (from deathnote), he is wise and thinks deep and uhmm.. (struggle with bad vocab sry) After only 5 chapters you'd be amazed by how attentive and amazing he is..

Story right now has 2 main characters (Jesse and Law), and overall like 7 characters appear at most? Only 4 of them speak anyways...  The place this manhwa set in is in a mansion on the cliff, and the whole mountain/area belongs to Brown family..  Every scene except fashbacks is set in place in the mansion and all the chat is between main characters.. AND although it is yaoi/BL, main story has nothing to do with their sexuality.. The story could have been same with Hetero couple and uhmmm please dont make hasty decision to not read this masterpiece just because of the sexuality of the MCs (in case you are homophobic- which i advice you not to be, and be more acceptive, open..)..

The other MC, Law is super mysterious character..

The whole manhwa seriously playes with both characters and readers mind, it is like MC trying to find truth inside memory distortion.. He is more critic than other characters from usual amnesia stories...

Either way, please do do read Moritat. It might turn little bit confusing at some point, but it is worth reading and understanding.. (IT IS STILL ONGOING, AND IS AT THE BEST PART RIGHT NOW LOL)

If you loved it as much as I did, here is some personal recommendations.. Ah, also please send me some recommendations as well :)  ( [email protected] )

-(ANIME) Charlotte.. It is more about character development and uhmm it will start with really irritating main guy but you will grow to love him.. Every fan hated hi mfirst, but he grow up super fast.. Although it might feel really different from Moritat, at some point  (I think it was around ep 6-8) you will kinda feel similar plot twist and the repeated tsrn tsrn tsrn sry for little spoil....

-(ANIME) Mekakucity actors.. It is actually anime adoptation of kagerou project, which is collection of vocaloid (com program singers) songs that tell story.. I actually just realized the main similarity between Charlotte, Moritat, Mekakucity actors but it will be biggest spoil ever so I won't tell :P  However, if you wanna discuss about them, feel free to email me; we can be friends euheuheu.. Anyways, for Mekakucity actors, it is fucking seriously confusing at first. You have to keep watching even tho u dont understand, because in the last 2 ep everything will be like BAAAM! HUGE "makes sense" feeling.. All the story happend in like 2-3 days and hmm I thing, 12 episodes? OH AND PLEASE WATCH THE LITTLE STORY THAT GOES AFTER ENDING, it is biggest part of the plot.. Actually, you can watch that story first and decide if you wanna watch Mekakucity actors too.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob63C9797zY

-(Manhwa/Manga) Flow... It's also really different but is my favorite manhwa.. artwork is 100% and plot is amazing.. Story and character development is also superb.. I thought if you liked one of my favs you would like other fav too.. hehe..

SOOO.. I GUESS MY FIRST REVIEW WENT GREAT :) I LIKE STORIES THAT MAKES THE READER THINK, THAT MAKES SENSE, THAT HAS BACKSTORY/GREAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT DUE TO ACTIONS.. (SO TOKYO GHOUL ALSO MEANS ONE OF MY FAV HHEH)

ANYWAYS, thank you so much if you've taken your time to read this.. Please give these recommendations and moritat try. Thanks :)

Lepo's avatar
Aug 1, 2018

The story starts out like a horror mystery novel. The main character wakes up in a hospital without any memories of his former life. He is informed that he was in an accident, is the heir to a wealthy company, and his parents are dead. Moreover, the protagonist is told this by the man who has complete control over his assets and freedom, and claims to be his secret lover.

The protagonist begins to doubt the words of everyone around him, questioning even his own intuition and resurfacing nightmares. However, he is determined to logically find his way to the truth, and uncover the mystery behind project "Moritat".

With each new plot twist and revelation, we see the characters' motives become more and more dubious, their personalities more and more warped.

The final flashback arc takes about 15 chapters.

Ultimately, some of the story line was hard to follow, and some of plot twists didn't seem to support the main plot.

Knowing how this manhwa ends and the true personalities of the main couple, I don't think I would mind if I had suddenly lost all my memories of it.

gillykitty's avatar
Sep 2, 2017

I loved this story. It's long, it's drawn out, it's complex. The characters have layers and layers to them, and the story is like nothing I've ever read before. That's really all I can say about it- I don't want to go too into detail because this is something you wouldn't want spoiled.

8.5/10 characters
Teasponge's avatar
Jul 4, 2019

This what soap opera would be like if they decided they wanted to join the psychological genre. Starts of typical enough main character has amnesia meets people that arent what they claim to be and the mind game begin. Okay,thing is somewhere along the way author got confused themselves. The plot twists follow no plan what so ever. It is all over the place. The characters personalities are in some permanent state of being bipolor. Best ex. Is the main character himself which you probably see best in the flashback arc.

Somebody might say well those are the traits of a psychological story, yeah true but that doesn't mean you write any nonsenscial plot that makes no sense, and think your clever by slapping a psychological tag on it. Doesn't help that you feel zero empathy for these characters who are increasigly amoral as the story progress, and hope they just kill themselves and get it over with.

In the end all the people who wrote a rave reviews for this, please do yourself a favor read an actual good work (idk ex. Shutter island). Notice the difference and then pray you lose your memory of the manwha.

Edit: I recommend The Beast Must Die for a psychological bl

Oceanshimmer's avatar
Mar 9, 2020

[Warning: Unprofessional Review]

Just wanted to get it out there this manga is hard to understand (at least for me, which honestly, does not say much). I had no idea what was going on, can't remember what happened, and overall, I feel as though I wasted my time. To this day, I remain unable to wrap my head around the plot twist. Less of a BL romance story; more of a fight between psychological manipulation and psychological damage (one is the actuality- I just never figured out which one).

If you do not have the confidence or patience to read something ether complex or convoluted, Moritat may not be for you. If you are looking for a typical lovey-dovey BL romance, Moritat may not be for you.

However, people who enjoy atypical romance (?) stories and psychological maniputation (?) may immensely enjoy Moritat.

6.9/10 overall