March Comes in Like a Lion - Reviews

Alt title: 3-gatsu no Lion

March Comes in Like a Lion
Lexter's avatar
Jan 30, 2019

How come there is no review for this amazing manga?

Without spoiling anything, If you like some feels that don't come from epic plot twists but from just kindness and drama this manga is for you. It has great shojo esc art, very relateble characters well developed diverse side characters and everything flows nicely. Yes there is a lot of metaphore and teenage angst but it feels real and comes from a reasonable place.
I am not going to lie my eyes got teary several times and once over a side character backstory chapter, which could be a standolne one shoot...

By the way I barely knew the rules of shogi while reading this and it didnt matter. Also If you are nitpicky you could say there is a lot of time focused on cooking and seemingly random dialog, but that just shapes the atmosphere of the whole series. OVer all I am excited to read the next Volume 15

Vshadows's avatar
Nov 3, 2020

I have to agree with the only other review on here and give this one a great rating. I know some people might think it has no plot or it is too slow but this manga is SO good. I mean it mixes day to day problem and hardships with this really interesting shogi plot line. I feel like I am getting a two in one package in a single manga. Not only can it be relatable in some ways but it also can be a super relax read where your MC is "super powerful" at something. If you haven't already plz go read it. I promise you won't regret it.

konrice6472's avatar
Nov 21, 2023

The manga starts with MC being very closed off from the rest of the world as he stays within his little bubble with little care of his needs and surroundings besides his passion for shogi, even not eating proper food just to prioritize his time for shogi. It was not until he met a kind group of sisters who noticed his condition and slowly started to change his unhealthy lifestyle alongside his perspective. Actually, MC meets many people who transform his views and learns lesson by lesson from each. In contrast to the first and last updated chapters, it showed how much development he experienced.

At first, he was pretty quiet and pessimistic, with an unhealthy, depressed mental state, but eventually matured into a more open-minded and outspoken personality who was not afraid to talk back when he needed to due to the people he who became his friends and teachers who helped him to the right path.

My favorite addition to this was the sub-plot romance, showing how wholesome and healthy he now is, even protecting and supporting "her"(not gonna spoil who) from the abusive and toxic people around her. Its slow but its a worth it slow, as the MC undergoes the emotional progress we humans experience while also becoming more strong in shogi. This slow character development made me stay, and I don't regret it for one bit as this is one of the best masterpieces out there!!