Lost in Translation - Reviews

Lost in Translation
lovemonolove's avatar
Sep 7, 2022

Literally the best idol manga I have ever read to this day.
The way they build the characters is very rich, not shallow at all. The stories don't seem rushed and they really pull at your emotions.

They do a really good job of making it seem real, in the sense that they really portray the idol industry and idol x fan relationship without sugarcoating anything for the sake of the story. The MC is someone you will find yourself genuinely caring for, as well as other characters. Even id you don't want to, you will find yourself sad for him, happy for him and extremely frustrated on his behalf.

If you like idol stories this is for you. This is a story about a guy who shoulders all of the world's sins on his own, for his friends, while others yell at him and call him a sinner.

Trust me, you won't regret it.

SululuXD's avatar
Jun 17, 2023

Comedically awful. There are only two genuinely good (morally) people in the whole 170 chapters. Neither of which have their own story arcs, though they do get some screen time with other characters. They are the protagonist's mother and the owner of a coffee shop, that's it. Everybody else has their quirks, which are sometimes fine. For instance, one guy is a rich kid who succeeds in his rebellious phase, though he turns into a massive dick to "protect" the protagonist as is cliche in these sorts of dramas. Another is a guy who throws tantrums when things don't go his way and is vindicated for doing so. Though, these are relatively minor things in comparison to other characters.

The protagonist is a compulsive liar who refuses to tell the truth so much so, that the story becomes extremely similar to the boy who cried wolf. Except in this case, he's constantly convincing everyone he's a wolf and then gets extremely offended when nobody believes that he is not, in fact, a wolf after 2-3 years of saying he is.

Nobody ever faces conseuqnecse for their actions, like, ever. I really try not to put spoilers in, but this is going to be a minor one to use as an example so you know what you're getting into. A character attempts to kill and rape two completely innocent people. This is not faceitious or misconstruing the events, one of the characters gets to the hospital "just in time" to be saved while the other has to fight to avoid being strangled to death. Within 10 chapters he becomes friends with the people he tries to rape and kill because he says, "my bad, I'm gay." He goes on to face 0 consequences for these actions, in fact, his life only improves.

There are many instances wherein the quality of the story would be vastly improved if people actually faced realistic consequences for their actions. Severe emotional damage and/or physical/mental trauma? No problem, instantly resolved. Have you kidnapped or tried to rape or kill an idol? No problem, run free to inflict pain on someone else, our characters are too pure to actually subject someone to lawful things like the legal system, or police, or accountability. What do you mean they just went on to do it to someone else? I forgave them, that should mean they turned over a new leaf and never did it again? Whatever, as long as they don't do it to me it's okay.

Seriously, can we get some consequences, I'm begging. But, it also makes the webtoon good, because as somepoint, particularly the attempted rape, it becomes comedic because of the author's inability to write anything realistic. I started just bursting out laughing because of the melo-drama nonsensical misunderstandings placed in this universe where nobody is ever punished for their actions. Frankly, I started to enjoy it even, it became a comedy to me. Though, I would have enjoyed it much more if it were actually good, but it is not. There are many point, particularly in the latest arc, that would have been vastly improved by someone actually dying, even if they killed themselves. There would be proper stakes and characters would actually have to face the consequences of their actions, but they never do. Oh well.

Sappyloverkir's avatar
Jun 25, 2023

It's genuinely a good manga, the art is a bit iffy but I don't really care for that. The story is actually really interesting and all you can do is hope the main characters the happiness they deserve. 9/10 would reccommend to read

notyouraverageotaku's avatar
Nov 22, 2020

ahhhh I loved this one but the author decided to revamp the series so let's read it again.

I really love the concept, the story, the art.....so in short everything.

~will review it properly later~

Ponyo18's avatar
Jul 27, 2020

The story is actually really good. My problem lies with the art because the main character's face reminds me of a blobfish (I think it's the nose).