Kon no Ki Konoha - Reviews

Alt title: Leaves of the Deep Blue Tree

Kon no Ki Konoha
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
May 5, 2020

If you've read the second story of Hotarubi no Mori E, this manga will feel very similar. They both portray a human girl-child who grows into a teenager and realizes fe's in love with the spirit fe can only meet in the forest. In this one, fe can only meet Konoha during the autumn. I would say that this one feels a bit worse--maybe less poetic, less deep-cutting. One of the problems is that I can imagine a better, more tragic ending than what this manga wrote*. Another problem is that the elderly light-brown spirit is initially hinted at being significant, but ended up not doing anything interesting. Another problem is that while the manga tells me that these two people have a close friendship, I don't actually feel like it portrays that very well. All I really see from them is melancholic pining. There's only so much you can do when your story's built upon an isolated romance and wallowing in the tragic nature of it.

*The ending I think would've been better: Have Akino grow old and die.

YuiYui's avatar
Feb 13, 2015

Warning this Review probably will contain spoilers:

So another one of my amazing reviews this time for another one shot, again for the February Monthly Marathon 2015. I would advice that you check it out on the forum, it is great fun. Anyway back to the review, so this is for a supernatural romance one shot known as Kon no Ki Konoha. This time we are following the characters of Akino and Konoha.

STORY:

So the basic story is that when Akino was younger she found a blue leaf, which lead to her finding a blue tree....then a mysterious boy appears. He has dark blue hair, apparently a similar colour to the tree. Also another point is how Konoha (the tree boy) is somehow connected to the tree. The story is interesting and quite unique even though it does seem familiar in something I have seen before, but oh well. Anyway quite a interesting story.

ART:

The art appears to be quite good, character designs appear to be well drawn and just the style I like to look at. Not much to really say about this except that it was pretty good, slightly over average I would say.

CHARACTERS:

So lets start wil Akino, we see her slowly fall in love with Konoha ever since she was a child, we see her grow over time. Her appearence and personality all develop slightly during the manga, but as it is a one shot you don't get too much character development. With any character at all. Konoha is a unique character and overall quite likeable, but the same as Akino you don't get too much development, just a bit about his past but not too much.

OVERALL

So overall, interesting one shot but slightly average. A good read but it is up to you if you want to read it.

-AngelBeatsYui-

4.5/10 overall
chii's avatar
May 7, 2014

This one shot is pretty average but it'll leave you feeling happy even though it is kinda sad.

A blue tree is an interesting thing especially to a young girl and especially if that tree has a cute boy spirit living in it. I really wish this one shot was done in colour honestly because I think it would have done the blue tree justice. But instead we have to use our imagination which just doesn't work as well as seeing it honestly.

Love is like the seasons, it comes and goes. But if you are lucky you'll be able to spend many seasons together with the one you love. Before they are gone.