KoLD8: King of the Living Dead - Reviews

Alt title: 8LDK: Shisha no Ou

KoLD8: King of the Living Dead
ObitoUzumaki's avatar
May 22, 2019

It's one of those mangas where if you read the first few chapters you can tell what's going to happen everything gets predictable at least to me I thought this was gonna be different but it wasn't

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Dec 27, 2020

This isn't a story about zombies. Yes, zombies play a role, but they largely just feel like a backdrop. The true story is about the communities that have developed within the Sectors and the mistreatment of fellow humans that takes place in them--usually at the hands of those in positions of power. Eito uses feir newfound ability to control zombies to bring justice to these evildoers. Feir mom's words about taking the high road, especially in times struggle, had a major effect on fem and on the moral code and mission that fe ends up developing. The neat potential of this story in regards to having somebody be able to control zombies was not fulfilled. While there are some clear limits to Eito's powers and some potential risks to feir own health (as seen through feir headaches), feir powers aren't really delved into in any cool ways. We don't see fem being very tactical with feir powers; it just feels like a convenience to fem. And we don't see any meaningful negative consequences or failed attempts. Nor do we see any interesting insights into the mindset of a zombie or anything like that. It's just a shallow superpower.

The characters aren't very interesting either, which doesn't help. Haidoh's creepy family is somewhat interesting just because of how outlandish it is, but they don't really go into how the childrens' values became so warped and whatnot so it just ends up as unsatisfying. Even when they did try to provide backstories for other characters, they just came across as stupid. I don't feel attached to any of these characters. Also, it felt ridiculous for them to have a character whose defining character trait is feir stupidity be in charge of disarming the bomb just because fe wanted to feel like fe was contributing or something. Why were life and death decisions being made for reasons like that?

The art isn't appealing. People all look pretty flat.