Kokou Kemono to Obaka Yankee - Reviews

Kokou Kemono to Obaka Yankee
Umaianpan's avatar
Jan 15, 2022

The side story really ruined this for me but I'll get to that.

The main story is a romance between a human boy and an anthropomorphic cat boy, and if you can't get past that then I don't blame you. Thankfully the cat character, Mikejima's feline qualities are played for cuteness rather than fetishised, but the love scenes are still icky to see. However, there's a lot of heart here. The main character, wannabe delinquent Nagi, stood out for me. Best described as a lovable goof, Nagi is far from the usual sappy ukes we're used to seeing in BL manga, and his sweet interactions with a child cat character really made me smile.

The character designs are attractive, although the artwork looked a little rushed and dare I say it, sloppy in some panels. The same with the story, I felt there wasn't enough time for it to develop and so some clichés and lazy plot devices are used.

The side story, which focuses on a human side couple from Nagi's friendship group, really spoiled this story for me. It basically consists of a likeable character being assaulted and humiliated by his best friend, in a way which even a seasoned yaoi fan like me found offensive. I found this especially hypocritical since Hijiki has used the trauma of rape as a main part of the plot in her previous work. The way this story developed wasn't that original either- the blurred lines between friends premise has been done before and done much better in other BL manga.

leowasherebefore's avatar
Jan 11, 2022

For the first few chapters, the story is cute. I was never really interested in stories where humans fell in love with beastmen but this one caught my eye cuz of the art style. I have only 2 complaints.

1. I felt that the story was a tad bit rushed (but it doesn't really bother me all that much, in the end, the art style and cute relationship paid off).

2. I feel like the 2nd couple came out of left field... like I really could care less about them (but this one's just a personal opinion since I really wanted more content between the main couple.)

Other than that I'd say this story is decent and worth a read if you want something cute and quick to read.