Kill the Villainess - Reviews

Alt title: Agnyeoreul Jugyeo Jwo

Kill the Villainess
Muiyaya's avatar
Apr 4, 2021

So far it seems like one of the best stories in the isekai genre, because it shows the MC difficulty to get used to her "new life", her feelings of guilt and hopelessness and her plans to go back to her original life. She actually thinks about her family and misses them, making it feel ages more realistic and interesting than the usual MC that just fits in whatever life she got isekai'd. Definitely recommend.

upsidepenguin's avatar
Apr 6, 2021

An isekai that SMASHES typical isekai tropes.

The FL has a realistic (for most people) previous life, and thus, has incredibly realistic feelings when she's transported to a whole new world. We are shown a lot of her inner thoughts and her regrets. They aren't just regrets like "urgh I should have stood up for myself when my best friend betrayed me", then the author throws some sad scenes in there and never talks about the trauma again until they need something to excuse the misunderstandings their FL had dragged out.

Instead, this author shows us FL's point of view, then shows both sides of the situation FL thinks back to. Something about FL's thought flow just feels very realistic to me. In my view, they give her a lot of depth, and show us she is just another flawed human trying to stay afloat in a very strange world.

FL misses her family. She muses about her past life, the "should'ves and would'ves". She's suicidal (partly because she's depressed in this new world, and partly because dying is the only way to return to her previous world. Spoiler: this new world doesn't allow dying by suicide).

She comes up with plans, not the oh-so very cunning plans that authors just throw in your face to prove how smart their FL is, but sensible ones that a typical flawed human might think of. She is level-headed, but still has breaking points like a real human and has spontaneous actions. She brings a mature, muted air to the story. It's just very interesting to see her navigate the world.

FL has different mannerisms from the previous owner of the body. The father and maid of the original owner of the new body notice the differences right away in the first 11 chapters. I am relieved that characters in this story won't be dense people.

Also, I don't mean for this to come off as promoting tokenism or anything, but this is the first isekai I've seen that includes a dark-skinned priest. It might not matter much, but I really like that the manhwa is diverse.

Not much to say about ML yet (just know it's not the asshole prince). There are novel spoilers if you want some info: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/kill-the-villainess.118265/. At chapter 22, combined with knowledge of endgame spoilers, I can say I love the pairing. The ML will be *SPOILERS* the FL's personal knight (first appearance in chapter 12). It's the first time I've seen a commoner ML. He's also a sensible person. I like his character design because it's the first time I've seen a ML with just... hazel eyes and brown hair. His face is handsome and quite stoic. The half-lidded eyes and stable eyebrows make him look unwavering - which he is. He's a clever person with morals, which is why he's such a great match with FL.

The dynamic between FL and ML is done well. It's interesting to see the normally-typical power imbalance between knight and lady still be somewhat implemented, but the FL and ML still have a good understanding of and sympathy for each other. Their conversations are enjoyable to read.

Another trope the webtoon somewhat subverts is that the original protagonist (Helena) in the novel didn't turn out to be a villainess at all. She's just a very naive person and actually wants to be friends with FL. Reading this brought me complex feelings about Helena. It's the grey-ish stuff - I am annoyed but don't dislike her greatly. I liked the way that FL interacts with and handles her relationship with Helena.

Also, I really like the sorceress in the story. She's so cool and her character design is also awesome.

The art is top-notch. The outfit, hair, and glowing eyes are gorgeous.

I recommend you read this if you want an isekai with substance and some serious air to it. It's an excellent story where you don't feel like it's all bouncy and carefree. Not sure if this has a bittersweet ending or not, but even if it does, it's well worth the read as the FL is a great character to read.

4minar's avatar
Apr 28, 2021

the fl is so refreshing unlike many other isekai genre leads, one of the few who actually cares about her loved ones back in the real world and I love how they showed us her struggles to adjust to this new world, she just feels so real.

also she's pretty cool, I love how she's not the "oh i reincarnated into the villain I gotta start acting like a saint so I can avoid the death flag", she's unapologetically level-headed and honest, she's not a villain nor a saint.

the fl has so much depth that a lot of us will feel that she's so real and relatable.

Totally recommend it, only few chapters have been released so far but I can't help but keep looking forward to each chapter.

omakamochi's avatar
Apr 19, 2021

Its realism in terms of story is insane, not to menton the heroine not being a white lotus is so good to see. The female lead here actually wants to go home instead of adjusting to her life; She tries killing herself multiple times to go back to her original world. She doesn't want to build a harem of handsome guys, she doesn't want to move to the countryside and live peacefully, she is actually doing everything she can to go home. Her family may not have been the best, but she loves them anyways. It's so realistic I'm genuinely in love. This is such a mature breath of air compared to everything else we get (no shade towards the other villaines mangas and mahuas!) and I'm glad to give it a solid honest rating.

ishadream's avatar
Apr 26, 2021

Honestly, this might be one of the best isekai bc its so realistic. The female lead feels guilt for taking the life of the original owner of her body and she desperately wants to go back to her original world. Unlike most of these types of stories she actually feels empathy for the lower class and she doesn't fall for good looks.

Really recommend, this might be my fav manhwa with a female lead ^^