Karate Survivor in Another World - Reviews

Alt title: Yajin Tensei

Karate Survivor in Another World
MonarqueCeleste's avatar
Nov 10, 2021

I gave it a bad review at first (which I deleted since) because it had a very bad translation for months. You know how manga chapters come out sparsely. But I really liked the plot from the get go and now that it has been picked up by a good team, I am enjoying the heck out of it. This is basically isekai done right.

Sure the MC has an edge on others or it wouldn't be too much fun but he has to use his brain every time. He cannot simply win because he is strong. He has to find ways to use his skills to overcome his enemies. Character wise, I love the choice of the author of going with a more mature style. The MC is not an angsty, horny teenager. He's not someone who gets trampled on or fear fighting back. He does his things in the most efficient way.

And the thing I love the most is the originality. Although there is a leveling system like any fantasy RPG manga out there it's not too prevalent. It's barely mentioned to check out MC's level. And that makes his fights much more interesting and relatable. It feels like you can actually do it by yourself. It's a refreshing story in the sea of nonsensical fantasy isekai stories out there.

OogaChooga's avatar
Jan 21, 2022

Love the non OP MC. Like he has a good ability but it's not like he trashes the rules of the world. The characters also behave like normal people which is nice.

Pikupal's avatar
Nov 29, 2021

Its Realistic Isekai type Manga where Mc is not Op but uses his big brains with his karate skills to survive in harsh other world.It has some awesome battles and epic moments.You will quickly get attached to the Mcs  adventurer party as u go thorough.All the characters have been wriiten well with great observations.Just give it a try u will love it

8.5/10 characters
Shwiftymango's avatar
Jan 12, 2021

I have only read 6 chapters so this if not up to date ,it is interesting and not like the generic isekai manga there has not been any magic yet and I think it won't have magic so i recommend you read it.

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
May 30, 2021

There have been a few stages to the story so far. The first one is when the main character is alone in the woods and fighting against goblins and other creatures (ch. 1-3). This one quickly transitions into the time that fe spent with the apothecary girl (ch. 4-7). I found both of these stages to be pretty boring honestly. I can appreciate how it actually seems to go into some karate techniques and some of the thought processes and strategies during the fights are actually provided. But I don't feel any connection to the main character. Also, the self-narration feels a bit awkward. The third and fourth stages could probably be considered a single stage, but I think there was a slight shift between them. The third one is about feir integration into Gons's adventurer party (ch. 8-12). I was honestly disappointed that the story fell back on the tired idea of Adventurer Guilds, but I guess at the very least the vibe it gives off is different from other isekai stories. The fourth stage is when people start targeting our main character's life (ch. 13-present). This section also makes a lot more explicit the fact that skills in this world can cause unconscious bodily movements. So feir Karate skill allows fem to master the techniques by just giving in to the flow. I gotta say that I didn't appreciate this aspect at all. In fact, I don't think I appreciated the Skills in this world at all. I feel like they largely ruin the survive-on-your-own-merits type of atmosphere that the manga is going for. This section also made me wonder why our main character is so stuck on the idea of being an adventurer rather than any number of other jobs. I guess fe's just super excited about mastering karate? Or does this world just not have other jobs available? It feels like shallow writing.

The manga is slow-paced and I haven't been able to connect with the main character throughout the entire story. It doesn't feel cliched, that's for sure, but at the same time I think it does end up relying a bit too much on tropes like the Adventurer Guild and stuff to build up its setting. The art is pretty good, but it can also be a bit stiff. The sequence of movements in the fights can look a bit awkward. The eyes look like they're popping out or something, weirdly integrated into the faces. The shading and texturing can be badly done, like with the weird specks that look like flies swarming around. The best part of the manga is probably the way that the fights are walked through a bit more consciously than in most series, but that alone isn't enough to make the series engaging for me. It's not a horrible manga, but as a whole I did find it to be pretty bland.

[Reviewed at chapter 17]