Kanojo no Idea - Reviews

Alt title: Your true color

Kanojo no Idea
nivlex's avatar
Jun 16, 2023

I found this to be quite an enjoyable romance between a girl without any self-confidence who hates compliments, and the celebrity she whorships who in real life is just a lonely girl. The main drama comes from our protagonist wrestling with accepting the fact that her favorite celebrity isn't the perfect, nice, charming lady she thought she was when she gets off air, and once she accepts that she is her own person, trying to determine what kind of relationship she wants to have with her.

I found both characters to have realistic traumas and although the manga doesn't spend an incredibly long time on backstory, it does enough to make the characters seem real. I enjoyed reading this manga and didn't really find any faults in it.

DevoutHimejoshi's avatar
Sep 4, 2021

Hinata is a devoted fan of the idol, Sumika, but she meets her idol by chance and she finds herself stunned to realize that Sumika's personality is quite different from what she expected. Heartbroken, Hinata wishes to distance herself from her idol, however, Sumika seeks Hinata  out and asks her to help her become "Sumika." Overtime, the girls become close friends and fall in love as well as discover the difference between your "true" self and the self that others perceive you to be.

It's an intriguing concept and I had high hopes that this could be an entertaining manga, but I was disappointed. I don't think this manga is necessarily bad by any means and I can see why a lot of people would enjoy it, but to put it bluntly, the manga is extremely generic, bland, and cliché. It does little to distinguish itself from the many other titles in the yuri genre and is entirely forgettable.

The art is pleasing to look at, evocative, and by far the best aspect of the manga, but it is still unable to elevate the story beyond it's simple beats. The writing feels incredibly awkward and stilted with jarringly pacing issues. The characters are incredibly simplistic and one-dimensional, never really growing beyond their initial conceit though the narrative tells us they've changed and evolved. And the relationship between the two main leads lacks any real chemistry or growth, their romance feels forced and there are numerous eye-rolling story contrivances and out-of-place clichés that push them together.

It certainly isn't the worst manga I've ever read, but it's simply boring and forgettable.