Kanako's Life as an Assassin - Reviews

Alt title: Shiawase Kanako no Koroshiya Seikatsu

Kanako's Life as an Assassin
TheGreatMoof's avatar
Nov 11, 2019

Kanako's Life as an Assassin is easily one of my favorite manga ever. From the very first chapter, Kanako - a recently unemployed office worker just looking for a good job with decent pay - might be the most relatable charater in any manga I've ever read. The story is fun and silly, the characters and their designs are all memorable, Toshiya Wakabayashi (manga-ka of Tsurezure Children) showing how well he is able to craft fun, memorable stories. It's also important to note that Wakabayashi, as the original manga-ka, redraws some of Kanako's internal monologue gags/jokes so that they work in English, which is just such a nice little gesture.

About the only part of this manga that I can't in good conscience rate a perfect 10 is the art. It's perfectly serviceable but in a world where masterworks of lineart like Ancient Magus' Bride, Berserk, and YuruCamp all exist the best I can muster is an 8 out of 10. Still, though, don't let that deter you; this is a short, fun, easy-to-read manga that'll make any bad day a brighter one.