Kami no Kodomo - Reviews

Kami no Kodomo
Saral's avatar
Apr 29, 2021

Disgusting!

Don't get me wrong, the story is interesting but sometimes it made my stomach turn especailly with how young he was when he did some of the disturbing stuff like killing his cat and having sex with a dead collage girl. The character design is so weird and makes everything so much creepier but for this story it was great. Overall: Creepy

0.5/10 characters
Airotia's avatar
Dec 5, 2011

Story: Kami no Kodomo, or God's Child in English, is the story of a sociopathic serial killer. It's starts with before his birth and shows the span of his life, growing up and going to school and all of the trials he's faced with and all of the sick, twisted acts he accomplishes in his later years.

The course of the story contains all manner of... icky and stomach-turning things. Defecation, consumption of said defecation, forced sexual congress, homicide... Okay, enough fancy talk. Poopin', poop eatin', rapin', and killin'. Loads of all of them.

He gains a sort of cult of younger boys to please him in a variety of ways, and the cult eventually turns to be his downfall.

The story is told simply and directly, from first-person point of view. Matter of fact, no emotional monologues to get in the way of what's happening.

Art: The art is very simple. A good deal of it is kind of like zentangle, repeating patterns to grey out areas that you're not supposed to be paying attention to. It's never really pretty, but it gets the point across in a neat way. It's probably for the best, really. It keeps the stomach turning scenes from being stomach turning because of gore but because of what's going on.

Characters: Only about four people get any sort of focus, because everyone else is lost in the crowd. Those people are the main character, whose psyche we are delving into into in his auto-biographical tale; a girl he knew when he was younger; a girl he met soon after; and a boy from his cult later on. Each of the girls are only in the story for a chapter and have few lines. The boy from the cult gets a little more focus, but because the story is told from the point of view of someone who lacks emotions and doesn't try to understand people, no one else develops at all, except in the physical sense he observes as he moves from elementary school to middle and high school.

Overall, it's not a waste of time, but you have to like the sort of thing that puts you ill at ease or have a strong mind towards it. It's a very dark story, but it is interesting, especially if you've wondered what it's like to be a sociopath. It feels almost like you're in his shoes, and the basic idea is interesting. If it lasted longer than one volume it might have been more suspenseful, but as it stands it's a good, simple story.

5.5/10 overall
Curiousmadra's avatar
Feb 12, 2022

Man I just dived into a extremely dark rabbit hole where we see a guy who’s literally sick in the head and develops a cult in his teens. The story makes you want to read more even if you want to barf with what he was doing because yeah it’s pretty disturbing to say the least. All I can say I’m satisfied with the ending…just saying…………

pancakehorse's avatar
May 24, 2023

Beautiful but utterly depraved. The narrator recounts his crimes with a matter-of-fact tone that it creates a distant, fairytale-like quality to the horror. It put me in that weird, mildly queasy headspace I used to get as a 12 year old scrolling through bestgore.com, back before my morbid curiosity got overpowered by squeamishness.

This isn't something you read without being ready and willing to deal with that feeling of revulsion. There's no plot devices or compelling characters to hide behind as an excuse when you get uncomfortable with the content. It's a horror manga. You are meant to feel unsettled and upset, and Kami no Kodomo delivers that tenfold. Simple and well done. I feel supremely icky.

OwRaccoon's avatar
Jun 10, 2024

Remark : Be wary of the contents warnings ! They are all presents.

General opinion :

Quite an interesting short read.

This is more like a tale, characters do not have name, the when and where is not precised. This starts with a his birth pseudo mythology. We only see the evements from the pov of the protagonist, and the text is mostly his inner thoughts.  So there will be no exterior critics of his action, but no romantization or justification either. I felt at the same time distanced from what was happening, and in the shoes of the protagonist, it was interesting !

If you hoped something about "how to become a cult leader" or lenghty explanation of the how he kills or why, there will be none. We just follow him as his actions goes crescendo, to the end and the judgment (name of the last chapter).

The pacing felt good, I was hooked, and wanted to know how and where it will end.

The art :

Quite nice ! The uses of repetitive complex pattern to shade the background, adds to the style. And this mixed with a "childish"/naive way of drawing the characters, and houses gives an eery feeling that constrasts with the gore of the dead bodies.

I really liked some pannels, espacially those where we had only the feets or the heads (ex 141,118, etc). And the full page ones.

Be wary, that the first killings are really gruesome.

After here there will be spoilers !!!!

The story and characters :

I liked that others characters, only talks an handful of times, and mostly with him and laconically. We always stays in his version.

Since the start, we can see his distorted and grandiose sense of self. The horror of his actions goes crescendo, and ends abruptly, when for the first time he acts with emotions. As he dies at the hands of his cult, after killing the lover of one of his adept, in an act of jealousy that he himself cannot explain. For me, it was a good idea of ending.

I felt it was a good depiction of extreme psychpathy, as each time, he just does things because he can. He never judge his own actions, except at the ends, when he can feel that this new emotions was a mistake from his part.

7.5/10 characters