Isekai Kaeri no Yuusha ga Gendai Saikyou! Inou Battle-kei Bishoujo wo Bishibashi Choukyou Suru Koto ni!? - Reviews

Alt title: The Hero Who Returned Remains the Strongest in the Modern World

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Sep 9, 2021

First I want to express the fact that I experienced great disappointment at the end of chapter three, when it became clear that the misunderstandings wouldn't continue as the series went on. The first chapter was introducing the series and it was whatever. The second chapter was introducing the harem members and it started out pretty mediocre as well. But then the story did something that I thought was a beautiful use of irony: it retold the text message exchange but from Abeno's point of view, showing all of the misunderstandings that were going on. That state of the characters being in two completely divergent headspaces continued into the beginning of the third chatper, and it was lowkey hilarious. But then those misunderstandings were cleared up and the story became a lot more dull again. There's still some humorous moments--some silliness, some absurdity--but none of it was the type of humor that made me feel that a series could be built off of it.

I find Abeno's awkwardness surrounding how to go about dating to be kinda cute, but I don't really care for the other members of the harem. Though I will say that the reveal about Lela's past was pretty neat and made me actually appreciate feir character for the first time. Before then, Lela had really gotten on my nerves (and maybe fe still will). On the flip side, I didn't care for the reveal of Murayama's past and the correlating storyline. Part of my distaste was that I thought it was gratuitous, but part of it was the way that "weak" people are condemned and treated as the ultimate cause of their own suffering. The way that fan service is included within this series is forced and doesn't flow very well with what surrounds it.

The beginning gave me the same vibes as Isekai Tensei...Saretenee, with how the main character only learns about the magic in our world after gaining "other world" powers and being recognized by the people from our world with magical powers. The shrine maidens and exorcists and stuff. It also plays into the same space as Class ga Isekai Shoukan Sareta Naka Ore dake Nokotta n desu ga, but I think it handles things a lot better than that series. The main character does end up fighting monsters in addition to human threats, but I think the justification for the existence monsters in our world is better in this series than in that one.

[Reviewed at chapter 15]