I'll Save This Damned Family! - Reviews

Alt titles: I'll Save a Decent Family, Manghal Gamuneul Sallyeobogetseumnida

I'll Save This Damned Family!
machiabeeli's avatar
Sep 27, 2021

I'm not biased - I'm speaking the truth with full emotion.

When I say this manga is amazing, I meant I was supposed to read up to chapter 10 before bed but ended up sleeping at 4 AM just to finish the full 51 chapters. The female lead is marvellously written, filled with enough personality and intelligence to keep the pacing of the story intriguing. She isn't too overpowered, with skills or cheats to get through the game, but navigates it with the same careful consideration necessary to avoid dying.

I personally loved the ML as well. A lot of people probably didn't like him because he's horrible and mean but I think it's warranted, given how they wrote his character. He's sometimes a little cruel to the FL but not overly so and it's not out of character for him. I actually do respect him and his hidden backstory which somehow shaped the way he interacted with the world.

The cool thing about this manhwa is that the story and the plot progresses at a normal pace. We have to watch the FL fail and succeed based on what she's learned, use her wits and make connections in order to hoist herself out of the hole that she starts from. She does have some knowledge of the story but this never gives her a full hand up from her peers; rather this is what helps keep the story going and gives all of us some motivation to continue.

Some people might say that the pacing is a little questionable at times but personally, I thought it was quite well-made. The art style is beautifully done and unique - I've never seen a manhwa that utilizes the same style and color as this one does. It colors the world in such a distinct beauty previously unseen.

Should you read it? Definitely.

Reviewed at Chapter 51.

Thubanshee's avatar
Sep 18, 2021

I had to check several times if this story was really originally a Korean story, because the themes somehow didn't fit with what I'd expect from those. There's a lot of deducing what other people think and what's really going on, it reminds me a little bit of Sherlock Holmes.

There's scheming without evil villain schemers (well, mostly),  there's training where the FL gets stronger/loses weight, without it being a training montage from zero to hero, the FL has both strong and weak sides, meaning she's neither OP nor a Mary Sue nor a weak-ass wallflower without resolve. She has a goal that she works towards, even though she sometimes has doubts. She fails and succeeds, she's arrogant but sees her own faults, I really feel like she's a genuine person and not just a two-dimensional cutout used as a screen for the reader's projections.

The relationship between FL and ML is also really funny. From the beginning, both of them show an unusual interest in each other. In a way, it's this classical trope of two people being constantly annoyed by each other and slowly falling in love without realising it. (At the point I'm at I can't even talk about anyone being in love, I just extrapolate from how it's been going so far.) What I like about it is that unlike in many many other stories I've read, both Western and Asian, this story really embraces the concept "show, don't tell" in this regard. We can see them getting closer and thinking about each other a lot, but there's no text describing it or implying anything.

All in all, I really like this story and am hopeful for the future of both the plot and the romance.

MinRei's avatar
Sep 6, 2020

The family really is decent,  while they dont go out of their way to harass the mc, they are nowhere fond of the idea of being all mushy because they are (and I mean everyone) competitive, they usually host meetings and discuss things like business and the posibility of getting a job in the palace.

The pacing is wonky sometimes idk what is happening. The art is ok, kind of like a comic with mostly warm orangey tones. I like how this show that being a noble child isnt just about tea parties, you also need to be a part of the operation.

Though at this point I still dont fully get her plan about saving the family, like the information is hard to digest for me but all I know, as a noble family they have to do something about the succession to the throne (do they support a specific prince or stay neutral etc.) because if they dont act accordingly the future king might just get rid of them.

kumacat's avatar
Jan 4, 2022

I am really enjoying the story and the FL. She is so cute and very driven, which is great to read. I like the idea that she is losing weight because she wants to achieve her goals and not because she wants to fit in. I also like the ML doesn't seem to care much about her appearance regardless of whether she is larger or smaller. The supporting characters who are her friends are cute. There are many isekai, romance fantasy manwhas that I kind of forget about or just don't care enough to keep reading after a long break. But I am looking forward to reading more of this story:)!

CornerxofxDreams's avatar
Feb 15, 2023

I am furious!!! (dropped @ chapter 100ish)

First, there is NO NO, yes no romance till now at all. (okay thats not true, there were <5 Panels with starting romance, but it gets killed of every f** time, its anoying)

i liked...

... FL and ML intellect & personality
... the story (i dont really like politics, only if its done right. Its really interesting and fun to read and think about might happen)

... the worldbuilding is superb!
... old fashioned artstyle
... individual characters

what i absolutely hated...
... 90+ chapters in, 2% romance between ML and FL, its dragging on
... ML + FL screentime is very short, they dont do much together at all. The cover photo is totally misleading, at the current pace we wont see anything before chapter 500 or so, not kidding
... beginning love triangle (really? why author? you dragged this on til now with barely any romance, but you introduce a f** lovetriangle? This late? Did you just look at the tags and realized there must be some romance or shit in this? This doesnt get along with this story at all!)
... pacing, its sometimes skipping several months, there is just a happening after the next one, sometimes stressfull