I Tamed a Tyrant and Ran Away - Reviews

Alt title: Pokguneul Gildeurigo Domangchyeobeoryeotda

I Tamed a Tyrant and Ran Away
HappyAlexia's avatar
Jan 19, 2021

The characters are really vivid and I really enjoyed the webtoon so far 😍 some minus points are for the ways to the revenge goal and for the op FL. It's like she doesn't have anything more to learn, she can control and manipulate everyone too easily which is less satisfying than going step by step with some struggles. Moreover it's a toxic relationship awaiting for both characters and no promising future for their happiness 😢 don't know what the future holds but hope it will get better 🤞

Manthika's avatar
Jan 18, 2021

400 years ago, a young noblewoman who once wanted nothing more than to be a proud knight for her country was cursed, tortured, and turned into a literal sword.  Bound into the form of a magic sword, she was forced to kill for the sake of emperors, generation after generation, and upon begging God for mercy, she found herself once more in her younger body before she was trapped, before her life was ruined.  This isn't just a tale of time travel or romance, it's a tale of revenge.  It's a story about a strong, independent woman finding her place in life after she hardly remembers what it's like to be human.  Looking at her old life with entirely new, jaded eyes and forging her own path differently this time around.

This is a world of magic and faeries.  This is also a world of violent death and assassins.

Definitely, definitely would recommend it, but not if you're just looking for a cutesy romance.  Summary does it little justice.

The biggest failing of this manhwa is that while the main characters are OP, all the supporting characters are idiots.  They're either aggressive and illogical for no reason (just long enough for the main character to 'shine' by putting them in their place) or just naive and foolish (also to emphasize how 'great' the main character is for manipulating them.)  The love interest isn't, but that's specifically because he's written to 'look good' as well. (Jack of All Trades, but also Master of All Trades which is not a real thing... no guy is that perfect.) A good writer doesn't have to rely on making everybody in the background stupid to make their main characters look better, but it could be worse.  The main female character actually is good, I've read other manga/manhwa/manhua in which the main character was an actual idiot, but everyone else was a thumb-sucking imbicile that only existed to say 'wow, wow, you're so smart' to the main character.  This isn't that bad.  But it is blatantly obvious what they did with that.

That said, I still totally love this, definitely read it yourself :)

dxnac's avatar
Jan 17, 2021

THIS IS CURRENTLY RANKED NO.1 AS IT SHOULD BE THE BACKSTORY IS MUAH THR CHARACTERS ARE MUAH IM READING THE NOVEL AND THE PACING IS ALSO MUUAAAH also the mc is a total baddie i too would conquer an empire for her

9.8/10 story
9.8/10 characters
Korraly's avatar
Jan 30, 2021

I liked the concept of her being a sword and the complications that has on her psychology. I'm unsure if I will route continously for this couple unlike the instnaces of Lady Baby which I also adore. The story, so far, hasn't had any major moments which made it seem enjoyable. I feel like this would be better recieved if it had been a novel. The complexites of this tale are deeper then what I believe many are to presume.

Imagine. You've grown up your entire life yearning for love. Any form of attention, so you work you're hardest to earn it. When you believe you'll finally get a glimmer of that love, it turns out to be nothing but a lie. Then for the next 400 years you are down to the whims of men in power, those who wield you like you're nothing. It's an intense, intense abusive relationship.

The trauma that has to be displayed in this character are hard to protray. I think the writer and artist have done the best they can. I understnad why there are some reviews which call the manga out for having an OP character, but she isn't perfect. She is a cold, steel sword. She is extremly emotionally stunted and doesn't ackowledge the people around her wholeheartedly.

This is going to be a long, slow read, but if the author manages the storyline well then I can look forward to an emotional read. This isn't a pleasureable read for me with face slapping and other things. It's a read I have to anaylsis and dissect because 400 years with losing your humanity. That isn't something simple.

overseer232365's avatar
Jan 18, 2021

this is trash it doesn't deserve the number one spot I've read through the 20 chapters and it didn't pull me in at al the drawing style seems generic the characters have no flavor to them the only thing moderately ok was the beginning and how the story was progressing but after the 8th chapter, I completely lost interest.