I Don't Want To Play Matchmaker! - Reviews

Alt title: Ojakgyoneun Silseumnida

I Don't Want To Play Matchmaker!
Macl's avatar
Jul 20, 2023

This is pretty good overall. Great characters and dynamics, hardworking, but michievous and playful mc, and no white lotus in sight. Only 25 chaps in, but it seems really good. I like how the mc has a clear goal and motive and is not afraid to stand up for herself.

Edit: Finished the novel a bit ago and decided to change. It's a great novel and the author created multiple endings for Shu with the others. Spoilers about the routes: Swan was the perfect ending (Shu accomplished all of her dreams and more), Cory was the good ending (only did magic), yves was the bad ending (possessive mf), riley was the family ending (Shu does swordmanship and their best bros), and Hestia was friendship (If I remember correctly, it's like an extra for Swan where mc helps out Hestia and her situation, kinda which it was romanctic lowkey but it was good enough).

Manthika's avatar
Jul 16, 2023

I looked up Ojakgyo so you don't have to but short review/summary first: it's a comedy full up with pokemon references, Korean song lyrics, and silly antics from chapter 1, which surprised me as it's not currently tagged for comedy.

A fantasy school romance comedy featuring 13-15 year olds with the MC having memories of her past life (and the canon story) and skills with her magical inventions, money, and swordsmanship.  And all the guys who like her.  In the original novel, her side character was a foil who helped get the novel's FL and ML together (assault is implied, it doesnt look like it was a good relationship) which explains the title which I'll come back to the definition of now:

According to a search, Ojakgyo means  "crow and magpie bridge" and "Ojakgyo is the setting for Korea’s most famous love story, in which a couple is forced to live on either side of the Milky Way, only to be reunited when magpies form a bridge.” So I get that it's a cultural reference but the title translation, for now, is definitely unlocalized lol.

She doesn't want to be the plot device used to unite two lovers.  (Because it didn't turn out well in canon for her or the FL and ML in the novel.) Interesting title and the original reason I got curious enough to read into it- wondering wth Ojakgyo was meant to be...