I Am the Sorcerer King - Reviews

Alt title: Naneun Madowangida

I Am the Sorcerer King
CurrentlyVeryHungry's avatar
Dec 29, 2019

I understand why people are saying that it is similar to Solo Leveling and in many, it is. However, doing the research and given the additional knowledge that this was released BEFORE Solo Leveling. So I would like if some people were to check the resources before writing their comments on their opinion. It is a good story overall, and the main character is definitely smart and characters are likable. For people misunderstanding anything, I loved Solo Leveling and it will forever be one of my favourites. I loved this manhwa as well, and if you're looking for something similar to Solo Leveling, I recomend you check this out.

EDIT: After reading the comments below, I realized I may have made a mistake about the facts. I did infact see this info somewhere else before, but maybe it wasn't credible information. Sorry about that. Also, thank you for those who replied and proved my statements wrong. I will definitely check more resources before writing in any comments. :)

Bkle201ins's avatar
Feb 22, 2020

Completely repetitive character expressions for every single character throughout the manhwa. It makes me cringe every time they use the 'have one eye closed' expression multiple times for every chapter. I usually keep complaints to a minimum when reading something new but i had to force myself to see if theres anything i might be too harsh on. Art is alright, story could be improved, put more work on making it more unique, ESPECIALLY the expressions. You gotta make the characters more likeable that way instead of being lazy with it.

Manthika's avatar
Nov 11, 2019

Edited Review: Honestly, it's something to waste some time on if you're bored, but it's nothing outstanding and here's why:

The author has no idea what they're doing.  The first 20 chapters seem like every cliche 'gate' and 'hunter' manga/manhwa meshed into one, with terrible art to boot.  Around chapter 40-ish the art starts to get a little better, though the characters can hardly ever seem to keep their both or even either of their eyes open.  Plot-wise, things that were interesting start to be a little more interesting, and you get a hint of some bigger plot.

Then it all goes downhill a bit later.  They throw in random tropes, it starts feeling like a bad crossover, there's a lot I can't say without spoiling things but at a certain point the author is clearly just throwing in random things to slow down their overly overpowered main character from actually solving the plot, and giving him more issues to need to resolve.  If this was an episodic serial, where every 'episode' was different, then maybe 'going on forever' wouldn't seem so contrived, but in this it certainly does.

I made it to chapter 103 before I had to drop it but it wasn't because I was interested, I was just bored and it wasn't so bad that I couldn't push through in hopes it would get better.  Then in that chapter, something happened, and now it IS that bad, lol.  It's a mess.

TyrLev's avatar
Mar 4, 2020

I dont like those extras story... i like to just focus on the MC and the conflic.. thats it.. those extras story made the story fckd up..

8.3/10 overall
Hurpa's avatar
Jun 6, 2020

Mediocre in all aspects. Good to pass the time. The pacing is too fast and kinda removes any satisfaction or acomplishment.