I am the Sorcerer King - Reviews

Alt title: Naneun Madowangida

I am the Sorcerer King
ShounenAiFan's avatar
Dec 29, 2019

I understand why people are saying that it is similar to Solo Leveling and in many, it is. However, doing the research and given the additional knowledge that this was released BEFORE Solo Leveling. So I would like if some people were to check the resources before writing their comments on their opinion. It is a good story overall, and the main character is definitely smart and characters are likable. For people misunderstanding anything, I loved Solo Leveling and it will forever be one of my favourites. I loved this manhwa as well, and if you're looking for something similar to Solo Leveling, I recomend you check this out

Bkle201ins's avatar
Feb 22, 2020

Completely repetitive character expressions for every single character throughout the manhwa. It makes me cringe every time they use the 'have one eye closed' expression multiple times for every chapter. I usually keep complaints to a minimum when reading something new but i had to force myself to see if theres anything i might be too harsh on. Art is alright, story could be improved, put more work on making it more unique, ESPECIALLY the expressions. You gotta make the characters more likeable that way instead of being lazy with it.

DrSlime's avatar
Nov 3, 2019

Honestly, this manga is like literally a blatant ripoff of solo leveling. Monsters appear from gates and stuff, people get cool powers, the mc's mom is sick, literally like the same thing. I also forgot to mention that the mc in this one awakens to his powers in a near death scenario.... hmmm... wonder where thats from.

I mean, if you wanna read this for the plot of awakening to cool powers, go straight ahead. But, if you've read solo leveling, this manga probably is gonna bother you a little bit.  5/10, stolen plot, but still kinda cool

ShofaX's avatar
Nov 26, 2019

Alright before I review this lets get this out of the way. I see the comparisons between Solo Levelling and yes, I can see the comparison. In both stories you have: Dungeons (later on in Sorcerer King). Hunters (Or the Awakened in Sorcerer King). Both stories have people that will manifest powers, Solo levelling is just regular awakening (No one knows how or why people will awaken with powers). While in Sorcerer King people awaken with people due to the "Akhasha System" or however it is called which is basically a Videogame stats screen that Sung-Jin Woo awakens with in Solo Levelling but its quite literally a player stat system in Solo Levelling while the Akhasha System that shows stats and ocasionally gives rewards for beating a dungeon (This applies to all awakened in Sorcerer King). Also both stories have MCs that "Become the Strongest" through killing monsters or cultivating or whatever. Strictly speaking, this shit applies to like 90% of the Isekai/Become the strongest comics. Many comics have Dungeons, Many comics have hunters (Or adventurers/Awakened). Many comics have a weak mc that become strong through some sort of method whether it be hard work, talent, or some bullshit cheat system that both characters have. The difference between Solo Levelling and Sorcerer King is that Sung-Jinwoo fully utilizes the system, while Sunghoon (Protagonist of Sorcerer King) is just like "lol thats nice, sure Ill use this system but I can become stronger through my cheat knowledge of another world". So I'm reviewing this Manhwa off how good it is instead of "OMG ITS A RIP OFF OF SOLO LEVELLING SO IMMA DROP THIS RIP OFF LOL".

Story: Basically Sunghoon is wandering around tryna cure his mom of a disease that puts her in bed   He's not an awakened so he trys to earn money through being bait for monsters that roam the world naturally. Then he awakens, and he also awakens with memories that he was reincarnated and he was orignally a Demi God Wizard in his previous life. Basically to sum it up, He uses his knowledge from his original life to try and restore his original power (Yeah he becomes stronger for his mom but he cures his mom really quickly, like first 20 chapters I think. Curing and protecting his mom is more of his 2nd goal.) You'll see that he progresses fairly quickly become strong.

My Opinion: I'm enjoying the Story quite a bit, seeing how he becomes stronger and shocking the world through his magic. Although the story idea is kinda unique (Combining the Adventurer/Hunter aspect with the Reincarnation aspect into the modern world to become the strongest). Key word kinda, all of those ideas existed for a long time and this story is simply a combination of those aspects. I think this has been done before just don't know if it actually has. He uses various modern methods to try and go back to his original Power level (Probably over 9000). He has a team that he helps become stronger so that he can worry less about them. Story is pretty average, but unique.

7.5/10.

Art:

Art gets better as the story moves on but it is very simple, like, very simple. Art is certainly unique but not special.

6/10

Characters are alright. I guess you could say each of them has a "Personality to them" if you know what I'm saying. You can atleast tell their personality clearly on how they interact with the MC or how the act.  Not a whole lot of character development for characters other than Sung-Hoon but hey, thats my opinion.

7/10

Overall: 7/10

7.5/10 story
TyrLev's avatar
Mar 4, 2020

I dont like those extras story... i like to just focus on the MC and the conflic.. thats it.. those extras story made the story fckd up..

8.3/10 overall