I Am the Real One - Reviews

Alt title: Sasireun Naega Jinjjayeotda

I Am the Real One
HeyHeyHayden's avatar
Feb 27, 2021

Ignore the reviews that tell you to skip chapters. Thats a pretty big red flag that tells you they aren't reviewing it properly and aren't thinking straight (hell, if you had to skip chapters, those they suggested are definitely not the ones).

I am the real one, also known as actually I was the real one is a story about Keira, a grand duke's daughter who was executed after being accused of not being his family after Cosette, another lady, claims she is the true daughter. As the guilotene slices through her neck Keira suddenly wakes up in her bed 2 years before her death, and must set out to stop Cosette from manipulating the duke's household and causing her death.

As of chapter 40 (most recent chapter as of posting review), the story is quite good, despite faltering slightly in the start. The first 7 chapters show Keira's life before the timewarp, her desperate attempts to gain her father's affection, and the dismantling of her life by the cunning Cosette, who manipulates both Keira and the servants/duke into being on her side. This section of the story is incredibly important as it shows where both where Keira went wrong and what will happen if she fails again. Skipping this (as some other reviewers say) makes no sense whatsoever and will result in you not knowing a lot of what the story is talking about.

At this point, the author suddenly goes for a shift in tone, from a darker, revenge story to a far more lighthearted one. We spend 12 chapters essentially showing a young noble lady being all shy and learning how to have fun, be social and talk to others, as previously she was too obsessed with attempting to get the duke to recognise her. The problem in reviewing this is that, whilst it is more like a sidestory and not in line with the rest of the plot/tone, its still done very well. So whilst other authors might not have been able to pull this off, Samwol does, and therefore I can't take any points off for it. It also doesn't last very long so it doesn't majorly detract from the story.

The story then continues on, introducing the battle of cunning and wits between Keira and Cosette, the mystery behind the time magic and who cast it, as well as exploring the strained relationship of the duke and his daughter. There is a lot to read and think about, and it is obvious that the story has a good foundation to push foward off of.

Art

The art is great throughout the series. Environments are lively, clothing is intricate and detailed, facial expressions are done well and at no point does the art majorly dip in quality. It is simply good all around.

The characters in this series are decently fleshed out and have room for growth. Since the series is quite new its obvious that some work still needs to be done for the characters to truly grow and have unique personalities and goals, but that will all come in time. For now, all the characters are well written. Cosette, although rather limited in appearances so far, is a great villain. Cunning, devious, manipulative and two faced. You'll really learn to hate her. Keira is a mixed bag, she is strong-willed and intelligent, having studied hard her whole life, but she lacks some emotional intelligence and common sense since she grew up sheltered and alone. The only real complaint I have about her character is that it has yet to reinforce the trauma of her death. Unlike other similar timeskip series, Keira clearly remembers her decapitation and death, and upon waking it terrifed her, however it has not really come up since.

As for the other main and supporting cast members, they all have their quirks and personalities. Her father initially seems cold and serious, but his inner thoughts and struggles with his relationship to his daughter are slowly explored over time.

Summary

I am the real one has a good solid plot, great art and a solid set of characters. It is interesting to read and clearly has a lot of potential to become a great story and manhwa. If you like this genre of Manhwa, I definitely recommend you read it.

7.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
VKachu's avatar
Oct 15, 2020

I just love all the stories, characters, and the arts. I was read this just for wasting my time, but after read 6 chapter, it's become addictive. Its hurt to see the Heroine suffer for her entire life just for pleasing his dad. I hope it Will be a happy ending 🖤🖤🖤

Djevel44's avatar
Nov 8, 2020

This is no good, skip to chapter 6 as averything up to then is just what happends before the time loop that gets deleted because of the time loop, so it doesnt got anything to do with the story, all those 6 chapters says is, evil fake daughter shows up, she wins the heart of the maids and such and uses them to squeeze the real daughter out of the family with leies and stuff, she enda up being the reason the real daughter gets executed.

After the time loop things just gets pathetic, it starts off well the next chapters after ch6 but it doesnt take long before the story take a massssive nosedive, the guards starts drooling over the MC kid, she reads a romance novel and get tricked by a dude just because he called her pretty and she was literally ready to matet him for it, all in all it makes me wonder if a 2 year old kid wrote this dumpsterfire.

She got treated harsh by her dad, after the fake daughter came in the picture she gets screwd in all ways possible by lies and deciet, it goes so far she ends up killed where her dad doesnt lift a finger because of lies and all the trickery, BUT yeah someone who got screwd this badly and know exactly how dark peoples hearts can be, she gets tricked by " oh  your beautiful "and ends up wanting to matet him?

For some reason the MC out of nowhere looses so much IQ she can barely open a door handle, the writer really just trashed this story out of nowhere sadly.

YukinaZero's avatar
Oct 27, 2020

Overall the story is still pretty generic by chapter 18. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. It was just...nice. My main 2 issues with this story were the pacing and the characters. The beginning spent way to much time on the past and I got a bit annoyed. After the flash backs ended it felt like events were just happening one after another, without trying to establish a linear chain of events.

My second problem is with specifically that main character. She's supposed to be a seventeen year old with the mindset of some one about 19 years old but she's just way to navie. I get that the author was going for the whole 'innocent' look but they kind of just made her look like a fool. Like, yeah you got scammed into thinking you weren't ever your father's kid in the last life, your an idiot! I swear she also brings emotionally constipated noble to a whole new level. The only character that was really interesting to me was the father and I'm sad I'll never get to find out what happens to him.

Cobbey0's avatar
May 11, 2021

To be honest I really thought i was going to dislike this Manhwa i mean it's seems pretty generic not that i don't like this kind of stories, more like didn't really think this was going to be outstanding in anyway but guess what? I liked it, the first season it's not revenge centered if that is what you are looking for, but honestly? It doesn't need to be i mean, yeah i think we are gonna see Colette and mc fighting and stuff in seson 2 not like i'm against it anyways. What i like about this manhwa is mc herself, i love her /p she's amazing. Love the art too and that's not something i always say.

In other note i don't get why some people say to skip some caps? I don't think that's a good idea.