How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom - Reviews

Alt title: Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Feb 25, 2019

The appeal of this manga is twofold: 1) Nationwide crisis management, and 2) Building a country's infrastructure from the ground up. If it's not obvious, this manga is focused on government policy, economic stability, and international relations. When Souma Kazuya is summoned to this world from the "real" world, it is on the brink of disaster. There is an ongoing war against demons and even though the country of Elveniden isn't directly involved in this conflict, they are still expected to provide support to the countries on the front lines. As such, their economy has been strained and they are in the midst of a food crisis.

The first hook of the manga is Kazuya being given the kingship of the country after impressing the current king. While this is a somewhat silly premise, it's forgivable since, well, it's a manga. It is obviously a plot device used to put Kazuya in a position where fe can have the power and authority necessary for the rest of feir actions to take place. The manga doesn't make the mistake of simply giving fem the kingship and then moving on though. Throughout the story, the rushed nature of the transfer of power is brought up and even leads to events in the main plotline. Many people even assume Kazuya usurped the throne and coerced the king to act like it was feir choice.

The manga is able to seamlessly transition between a variety of topics and moods. You can have essentially a cooking show in one chapter and a rescue operation in another and they both fit well into the overall story. The author is able to weave these subplots into the overarching story without them feeling like side stories or attempts at lightening the mood. Even when Kazuya goes on a date with Licia, the author uses the outing as a way to explain several of the policies Kazuya has implemented as well as having the disguised couple overhear Halbert Magna complaining about the new king and further showing the tension within the nobility to the new situation.

The characters have good and generally unique designs. There are a couple incidents of character motivations being badly explained and just being taken for granted because certain motivations are necessary for the plot to move forward. Or there's the example of Kazuya. Fe seems oddly knowledgeable about a plethora of subjects, including accounting, forestry, agriculture, city planning, military strategy, sewage treatment, construction, and rescue operations. Whenever the plot needs Kazuya to have expert knowledge about something, fe has it.

The art is good and seems to match the tone of the manga pretty well. If I'm nitpicking, I've noticed times when the eyes are off-center or when the facial proportions change from panel to panel. Also, and this is just personal taste, I find the absurdly large breasts on all of the female characters who are supposed to be "attractive" to, well, not be attractive. Juna Doma is the best example. Fe's literally said to be the most beautiful woman in the country, but feir udders make it impossible for me to see fem that way.

Overall, though, I love this manga and I look forward to every chapter.

[Reviewed at chapter 16]

immortalChaser's avatar
Oct 9, 2022

I was planning on bingeing this whole thing based off the synopsis which made it seem like one of those rare jewels but this ruined my whole mood.

This might be harsh, and I'm sure this has some redeeming qualities if you read further into it but I had to quit after the first chapter.

After reading 1000s of manga/manhua/manhwa and easily over 1000 webnovels, even if I try to force myself, I can't read a manga where the MC has no backbone or doesn't at least learn to develop one. This character seems to just accept his circumstances without any push-back. Not to mention the cliched plot. It's too much.

If you've read Reverend Insanity then I think there's a high likelihood that you can't tolerate reading this. The MC and cliched plot is just too much. The redeeming qualities claimed in the synopsis imo don't make up for the rest.

Shampoliny's avatar
Dec 12, 2020

(Spoilers)

It does kingdom management pretty well, but it fails on the warfare part. It was just caotic and didnt make sense.
An example could be the battle against one of the other kingdoms,  He knew the enemy king would come for him yet he wanted to sacrifice himself (?) He accepted death eventhough there is 1000 of freindly troops next to him that could have fought the enemy king for him???, yet he fights the enemy king with only the ''slave'' and his puppets...

If not for this dumb arch it would have been rated higher.

LiND4's avatar
Sep 7, 2021

May contain spoilers:

It's an isekai, so it's normal that Kazuya (mc) is op. But he was smart from the very start since being a realist, but I think it's a good point that he's not also physically op, that doesn't make it a cliché.

There's also the anime which is airing now, but the manga worths more than that, since its grafic design is not as good as the manga.

I loved the way he thinks (well, he's a realist ahah), since he's not aiming at a Earth-size empire, but just making the current better, while never stop being humble(?)