Horimiya - Reviews

Horimiya
Noriko's avatar
Dec 16, 2014

Haiiii~ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ♥

I haven't done a manga review for a while ^^ I read 2 volumes (12 chapters) so far and to be completely honest, this manga is SO amazing and fun to read.

I don't usually read manga, but sometimes I find time and usually don't regret reading it.

So let's start off~

STORY

So the story is based on two main characters, who both have seem completely different when in school and when home. Which makes them similar in a way, so they decide to spend time with eachother often.

Now I'd say that the story is REALLY slow paced. But that's not a bad thing. It's a slice of life genre after all. There's a lot of details in the story and a lot of moments that really bring up the characters.

The story is mostly based on school/home life and comedy. Some parts are HILARIOUS, and some parts are rather serious. It's extremely catchy and entertaining and I just can't get enough >_<

I'll give a story 9/10 because it has some bits and pieces I don't like :p

ART

Art is very polished. Not really super detailed, but that's not relevant.

What's important on the page is always well drawn, and I like that. Nobody is ugly, everyone looks like a perfect GMO human being blah blah

In conclusion, I literally have nothing bad to say about art. It's not perfect, but it's more than enough for 9/10

CHARACTERS

Heeere we goo haha.

Soo the main characters are the best thing EVER. They are both so full of personality and I love them so much. The female main character (Hori) seems like a tough ''yass momma'' fierce kind of girl, but is actually fragile and emotional housewife kind of girl. The male character (Izumi) seems like a dark, twisted otaku, but is actually a ''yes mam hot damn'' pierced and tatooed kind of guy. So the whole main character thing is pretty much insane but it's sooo well done.

Side characters are also likeable. There's her little brother who's the cutest thing ever. There are two secondary characters (friends) who are involved with the story. There's plenty of minor characters as well.

Characters are mostly well developed and well done. Probably my favorite thing about this manga. Apsolutely 10/10

OVERALL

This manga is apsolutely fantastic. I'm so hooked >_<

The story is great, art is polished, and the characters are perfect. I SO hope this gets adapted into anime. IT IS NEEDED!

I don't usually read, yet review manga, so this has been nice ^^

Rate if you found this review helpful, funny, or just like it. I have more anime reviews so check them out if you want!

Thanks and have a nice day ^^

maika72's avatar
Aug 1, 2020

The story was going amazing for me - romance, comedy, drama and everything you would like in a romance, SoL manga. Our main characters are very interesting, the way their relationship is progressing (maybe a bit puzzled at some quite fast-paced instances but story still great!) is a nice change from other romance manga, and the side characters are great as well... until Ch.50.

In Ch. 50, something major happens between Morimiya and Hori which makes you excited for what's to come, yet the manga begans to slowly drift away the attention from them and starts to focus mostly on the side characters. By Ch.70, I was pushing myself to read this manga, hoping that the focus would go back to our main couple, but barely anything. Frustrated with barely anything new happening between Morimiya and Hori, who are supposed to be our main focus of the story (it's called Horimiya for a reason... right?), I had to drop this manga at Ch.106 (10 chapters away from the last, recent update). Don't get me wrong, I care for the side characters and their everyday stories, but that's not the reason I started reading this manga.

Overall, if you don't mind the main focus changing from the main couple to entirely their friends midway through the manga with little attention to the main couple afterwards, then you may like this manga.

*SPOILER ABOUT THE MANGA'S STORY. DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO KNOW*

Apparently I've heard that the story (from Ch.50 to onward) will not focus back to Morimiya and Hori anytime soon, since the web version of this manga  is currently releasing chapters about the side characters and their lives and just that.

FetusMunch's avatar
Apr 21, 2017

Alright so I have never done a manga review and thisbwas the first manga I have ever even sat down and actually read. I only did so because I actually loved this little story.

This is an ongoing manga so no conclusion yet.

I love the way it is set though. It's pretty simple as in it doesn't have a huge confusing story with love rivals and all that drama which was a real nice change for me.

2 people see eachothers after school identity share a secret and get closer. I liked that concept. Also had a lot of comedy and character development. It has a lot of characters but each have their own development and is fine to watch them change through the story. I wish there was move of an actual story though.

There are a bunch of mini stories throughout that still need answers which rustle my jimmies a little haha.

Overall I completely loved this story as it opened my eyes to manga.

KonohaNinja16's avatar
Jan 4, 2017

Horimiya is follows Kyouko Hori and Izumi Miyamura who both are different outside of school than they do at school. The story is well written and goes at a pace that doesn't feel rushed, yet it doesn't go a slow that makes you bored or loose interest. Horimiya is very engaging and entertaining and leaves you wanting more. The art is beautiful and very appealing to look at.

The characters are have different and unique personalies that make their interactions dynamic and leads for some entertaining scenes. They are all very likable and mostly relatable. Each character(even minor) get a sufficient amount of development. And there are other relationships beside the main one that are very interesting and throughout the course of Horimiya you get an understanding of each relationship. Horimiya also handles different topics and overall delivers a positive messages. Overall Horimiya is a must read and is definitely a manga you need to check out.

Varagauzer's avatar
Mar 6, 2017

There really isnt much of a story here, each chapter just focuses on the daily lives of hori, miyamura and their friends, it is primarily a romance, but the real strength comes from the great comedy and well done characters.

Here are a few things to consider when reading this:

• It has an episodic nature, i know this may bother some, the manga is more character driven than anything else, there is very little conflict.
  • The characters are extremely well done, they arent one dimensional
  • There are so many funny monents, its really great comedy
  • Slow but good pacing

If its one thing that bothered me, it was the artwork, its ranges from mediocre to just bad, character shapes are pratically the same, very bad shading, everyone has the same faces and eye design the only way you can tell them apart is the hairstyles, even the clothes are very simple with not much detail on it. But this is really the only complaint I have with this manga.

One great thing I do have to point out is how well done the romance is (characters even have sex but it is more implied that shown), the romance doesnt feel forced in any way.

But in the end its not a bad read just remember you're going in for the romance and comedy, nothing else.