Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted By Demons Arc - Reviews

Alt title: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Onikakushi-hen

Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted By Demons Arc
SadisticTendencies's avatar
Mar 1, 2011

Since I find it odd that nobody has written a review for this manga, I decided to make an attempt to do so. I will be writing a short review for each volume, and then make a conclusion after I've read the last one.

In volume 1 we are quickly introduced to the tranquil town of Hinamizawa. Our protanogist is Maebara Keiichi who has recently moved into town. It wasn't long until he met the four girls Mion, Rika, Rena and Satoko, and now they are all in the same club learning more about eachother for every day that passes.

On the night of Watanagashi (a festival) Keiichi is told about the mysterious curse that haunts the village, known as "The curse of Oyashiro-Sama". Each year on the night of the festival a person dies, and another goes missing. What is going to happen this year? And how come his friends never told him about this? Can he really trust the people he thought were his friends?

The artwork is pretty good, masterfully mixing cuteness with horror. One of the characters undergoes a very creepy transformation that is conveyed geniusly by the manga artist. The characters are among the most likeable I've ever seen in a manga, but in the first volume we are only introduced to them quickly. It will get a lot more interesting to watch them develop as the story proceeds.

But the main reason to like 'Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni' is the mystery. Why is it that each year a person is found dead? When will we get the answers? Well, I already know the answers since I've seen the Anime, but if you haven't, then reading the manga will be a truly addictive experience...

My grades:

Story: 9/10

Art: 7,5/10

Characters: 7/10

Entertainment Value: 8/10

Overall: 7,8

7.5/10 art
7.8/10 overall
Misoony's avatar
Mar 14, 2024

My friend has been recommending that I check out Higurashi for awhile, so I decided to check it out. There's some parts that I really liked about this first arc and some I feel pretty ehh about. As of reviewing this, I've only read the first arc.

Higurashi does a fantastic job at being creepy and chaotic. Everything constantly feels on edge. One moment things feel calm and happy and the next, Keiichi is fighting for his life against the people he considered to be friends. Mixed into all this is so many creepy looking expressions that it just adds to the whole horror aspect of everything. I think the horror was really well done, especially how it's all leading to an underlying mystery. Everything feels really eerie, and I think it captures the viewer's attention with the horror and all the questions it leads to.

My one issue with it, and this is more of a personal thing because I know some people do like it, and that's completely fine, but what bothered me was all the fanservice. There was so much fanservice that it kind of lessened the tensity of everything going on, and made things feel a bit less creepy. The manga mostly focuses on being eerie, so when that's interrupted by fanservice it can put a bit of a damper on everything. Though that's just how I personally feel about it, for others it may not be an issue at all.

This arc is mainly just setting up everything that's going to happen. It's sort of the prompt to pop the questions into the reader's head while also introducing them to the story and characters. Why are the girls acting coocoo? What's going on with the time and Keiichi? How can the girls even manage to make such creepy expressions? I'm excited to see how these questions are answered.

It seems pretty good so far, it's certainly exciting. The horror is done well, especially with the creepy expressions, and the mystery seems interesting.