Heeran Love Song - Reviews

Heeran Love Song
getou's avatar
Jan 16, 2022

Trigger warning: self harm, abuse, non graphic gore

Reading Heeran Love Song itself is an act of self flagellation.

The story follows Soru a princess surrounded by evil spirits/ goblins who haunt her and want to consume her but aren't able to so they make her life miserable by killing everyone who is kind to her and therefore tormenting soru, not only that but soru is also hated by her father and gets used by him as pawn in a scheme to humiliate and keep his general in check when he offers soru as his bride instead of her sister, keeping his promise to marry the General to the "Princess" after he won the battlefield. Little did he know that this would end up backfiring on him as the General Jahyeon is the only person the goblins can't harm which makes him invaluable in Soru's eyes because she's guilt ridden from having so many people who were trying to help her get killed/hurt, she instantly becomes devoted to him and offer's him her secret which is that her blood is basically elixir and can cure any illness when applied on it. The general on the advice of his aid decides to take her up on her "offer" and literally bleeds her dry to get a stronger political hold in the king's court. Empowered from seeing the state of neglect Soru lives in and how she's used as blood letting livestock, the servants hatch up their own group to take her blood by bleeding her dry and carelessly stitching up her wonds and getting her addicted to drugs when she's in pain from them cutting her open. There is also a side plot of the biggest baddest goblin who is trying to become human by consuming thousand human hearts and the people chasing him. This is the story so far.

If you have any empathy you can understand why I am not a fan of this manhwa despite the gorgeous artwork. The manhwa is an angst fueled melodrama, and none of the characters are sympathetic. I understand the drive behind every character but I can't root for any of them. Soru is so traumatized and abused she is unable to break the cycle of abuse she let's people literally bleed and feel gratitude for having helped them I feel bad for her but this behaviour is so reparative I've lost my faith in things ever getting better for her because this is a staple of the genre and the author chose to write it this way. My previous opinion/ complaint is also shared by the General Jahyeon who is the one bleeding her dry so I guess A+ for self awareness? I still don't like you also he keeps grinding his teeth in anger so often i fear he'll go bald and die form high blood pressure before getting the throne. I guess my biggest hang up from the manhwa is that it's a romance manhwa when it should not be, these characters are not good for each other I would have liked this manhwa far more had it been strictly historical fantasy because that would atleast give me hope for things to get better for soru and seeing some character development which I don't have bc of the genre this manhwa falls into.

Edit: I wrote this review after dropping the story on chapter 18 in January 2022. See comment for further update (and spoiler)

MinecraftCow's avatar
Apr 8, 2022

Honestly, I felt really hyped up about this manhwa because of how nice the art is and also there's stuff about supernatural beings so who wouldn't be obsessed-- BUT, after reading like 29 chapters I'm starting to feel like I can't stand the female protagonist.

Opinion on the characters as they are written:

The FL is pitiful and the main point of her in the story is really to just garner the sympathy and concern of the audience and also the characters around her. I highly dislike this kind of trope. I understand she was abused but this is just ridiculously over the top and I can't stand how she treats herself. There's just no way for her to connect with others because of her victimizing herself.

Her husband, the General, is the typical "I've fallen for you and I don't know why but I'll make sure you never find out" love interest. He's not the greatest person around, kinda arrogant, cruel and such, but I suppose these are expected of a war general. However, he has a soft spot for the FL so I guess that helps the audience root for him lol.

[SPOILER AHEAD]

The ACTUAL ML of this story is NOT FL's current husband though! (Or as I'm told anyway, I actually don't know.) The actual ML is supposedly the powerful goblin that's been out murdering people. Honestly, if he's supposed to be to the ML then I'd kind of vote for the General instead of the goblin because seriously... why would you date a murderous goblin that has a taste for human hearts right? Lmao. But anyway, it's been so many fricking chapters and I still don't understand what the goblin has to do with the story other than maybe he's actually meant to kill the FL but falls for her??? Yeah I don't like those types of plots. Kinda insane if you ask me.

Thoughts on the plot:

Well, it's all pretty meh at the moment. Things are going at a pretty slow pace and there's not much development, although we do get introduced the main players of this manhwa. Just a very general introduction though. Not much else is happening at the moment. Maybe it'll get better later, maybe it won't, but I'm sticking around to find out.

Art:

As I mentioned before, the art is nicely done! Characters are pretty and it matches the gruesomeness of the story itself. :)

Recommend?

Uhhhh I wouldn't say I recommend this because it really plays on the reader's sense of compassion. it'll for sure get you crying a bit in the earlier chapters (as in before it hits 25 I think) so if you feel like pitying a girl and feeling horrible for her, go for it lol. If you're looking for comedy, or romance, I would say to look for other manhwa first. This one certainly has no comedy and as for romance...not sure where that's heading so far.

Ihatethem's avatar
Jan 14, 2022

This made me tear up in every single episode every character in this manga is an expamle of how not to be a proper human. But i recommend this it is much better than shallow ones. I hate everyonebesides the main female character. She is an examle how a person can be psychologically ill from the torments they face. But she is a kind soul she is just ill i couldnot have asked her to do anything more. Every other characters are evil to the core especially the main male character. If i had the chance to choose a character i could kill, it would definitely be him and i wouldnot flinch or regret because i would be doing this for humanity, to make the world a better place. Art is so good. I hope everyone gets what they deserve no action of his even saving humanity would not be able to save his soul. Awful indeed. By the way she is too cute, she is lovely.

Misamisamin's avatar
Mar 21, 2022

Im up to 25 chapters in and holy f*ck this plot is heart breaking...I cried my eyes out and the plot has so much potential for a great story but i hope the author fixes the ending a little (i read the novel tho it was MTL) I need more happy scenes for FL and ML they've suffered so much it needs happier fluff scenes and I NEED the *ssh*le husband of hers to suffer more 😭😭😭 anyway gotta go get some ice for my eyes now :')

MojangCat's avatar
Dec 12, 2021

I'm currently 11 chapters in. And so far, I'm really liking it. That art is beautiful and the plot is interesting. Definitely should check it out.