Half & Half (Kouji SEO)

Add review
Yakoz's avatar
Jan 19, 2017

Half & Half is a great dramatic romance manga. If you're looking for a quality but also short read, this is definitely something you might want to pick up. I have one important suggestion for you: depending on where you read Half & Half from, you might find a chapter 0 which is NOT a prologue, but it's the original one-shot from 1996 written and drawn by the same mangaka. They're very similar, you might also call this one the extended version with a different ending. If you want to really enjoy this read, skip ch0 and go to ch1 right away.

Plus/minus considerations:

• STORY: the two protagonists get involved in an accident and die together. They somehow realize they're still alive, but a voice will warn them that only one of them can still live and they will need to choose which one within 7 days. This story is something different and original from your usual read, what I really like is the fact that they have a set amount to time to decide (if they want to believe that, of course), adding a great psychological aspect to the deal. Not only that, the way the author made the two characters interact is fantastic. I made the mistake to read ch0 (the one-shot I was talking about) before the remake, so it ruined a lot of things for me, especially the ending (I had some expectations, unfortunately). I feel like the ending from the OS is slightly better, but I enjoyed this one nevertheless. (++)
  • ART: this manga looks great compared to the previous version. It's really clean, the panels are well distributed allowing you to see and feel characters' expressions; also there's a good balance between drawings and dialogues. Facial features are a bit off sometimes, but nobody is perfect. (++)
  • CHARACTERS: best part about the manga hands down. Characters are dynamic: they grow in better page after page not only individually, but also as a couple. They share emotions in a unique way creating the bond that makes this manga great. (+++)

What really makes this manga great for me is the remote possibility that something like this (not involving the supernatural element of course) might happen to me and I would have to make a difficult choice that could cost my life, it makes you think a lot. Strongly recommended.

thor123's avatar
Oct 18, 2015

I don't normally read romance manga, but the synopsis intrigued me and I had read the one-shot already so I decided to give it a go. And boy, was I happy that I did.

The story starts with a normal guy who dies because of an accident, which also killed a girl. He is then brought to a kind of limbo, where he mysterious voice tells them that he will let one person live as the other dies. They get one week to decide who lives and who dies, and in this week they cannot leave the other's side. Back in the normal world, they notice that even their physical and emotional feelings are shared... man, God is a cruel person...

Now, as they can't kill each other, can't leave each other, and even get  a peak inside the other's head by feeling the same emotions, they need to decide who lives and who dies. It's a relatively simple recipe for a great manga. A tragedy, with a certain beauty to it that I didn't expect before starting it.

Because they are inseparable now, we are shown a lot of things about the lives of the two, so the reader will be very attached to the characters before, inevitably, one has to die. Of course, for this to work, the characters have to be very well fleshed out, interesting and amicable. Which is something that has succeeded perfectly well: the characters are all the things they have to be, and more. They are as human as actual humans, or at least it feels that way. The best proof I can give for this is the fact that I actually cried at the ending, which doesn't happen too often... The decision they had to make would break anyone's heart (unless you are a person who doesn't know what a heart is).

One could argue that this manga is very short, and that that would mean for most people that you can't get attached to the characters properly. One would be wrong. It's been proven countless times already that you don't need a lengthy story to get attached to characters - if you don't believe me, try watching shorts like Furiko or La Maison en Petits cubes: both are short, yet powerful. If a story gets to the core in a decent way, it doesn't really matter how long it takes. Or at least, that's my opinion.

Art

The artwork was good too, nothing too fancy but good... (man, I really need to find better ways to describe art...)

Overall: It's a great, relatively short romance manga. Especially the characters were very well done.

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 art
9.5/10 characters
8.7/10 overall
nasro49's avatar
Dec 26, 2015

i always think that making review is kind of boring cause no one read them xD (in general)

But i couldn't help it this story is amazing in someway xD

first of all i realy get mad of all the sex matters

(i mean we search for drama not sex ...) (i look like a fool but  i mean it)

Spoiler ahead

Sec : the characters are really awesome Especially the two mains characters

in a first glance i was thinking that they are just two Boring characters but when i see what they live in the moment i've really moved they (xD that was lie but its really interesting story about the two)

third : the fact that one of them have to die

sharing the same essence and soul is a good think but its weird that they shar even the sentiment this was unnecessary xD (that what i was thinking in the first) but it turn a good think after all

Forth : and finnaly the ending was amaaaaazing :)

that why i give this manga 8/10

Thanks you for reading Bye xD

Phyren's avatar
Dec 14, 2015

SPOILER ALERT, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE MANGA.

So, Half & Half, the story about two people who die.

Doesn't sound very interesting does it? WRONG! In all honesty, I was looking for a manga with a dark story, yet romance. I found exactly what I was looking for.

The beginning of the story will have you fooled, making you think Yuuki was trying to commit suicide by jumping of a roof. Which results in her falling on top of a guy, who died together with her.

Now, God plays a role in this manga, giving them seven more days to live and having them decide who will live and who will die. God is cruel in this manga...

Anyhow, with that being said, they return to being alive, but they cannot be apart from each other. They both share physical sensations and emotional feelings; which causes a bit of a problem for them as well. With Shinichi being a slight pervert and Yuuki being quite the attractive woman, things get a little uneasy at the beginning of the story. Not to mention Shinichi has a girlfriend!

Throughout the story, you'll find out it wasn't suicide, but mere an "accident." She had been pushed off the roof by her so-called best friend, who got angry with her for hitting her boyfriend. Which was within reason, a pretty good reason. Also that Shinichi loves art and draws a lot but can't really develop his skills because his father won't allow him.

Shinichi later catches his (ex) girlfriend and his best friend together in bed. But within the next few days (expectedly) he and Yuuki start developing feelings for each other instead; they go out and have fun, finally admitting their feelings for each other and at the end, they have sex.

Now, the seven days are over, and a lot has happened; God calls upon them, making them decide whoever dies. Yuuki wants to sacrifice herself, yet starts doubting and tells him she wants to live. Which concludes in Shinichi dying and Yuuki living.

Now that Yuuki is alive, she's rather happy, she's living at a new home and gave birth to a son.
Their son has grown already in this chapter and also has a passion for art.

-------

This manga really touched my heart and made me cry during the last two chapters. It's made me think about a lot of things. Even if it isn't about suicide, it has a hint of the feeling behind it. Sometimes it isn't the answer. All in all, it is worth the read; trust me, I shed quite a few tears.