Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation: Mo Dao Zu Shi (Novel) - Reviews

Alt titles: Mo Dao Zu Shi (Novel), The Founder of Diabolism (Novel)

Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation: Mo Dao Zu Shi (Novel)
Magika's avatar
Nov 23, 2019

Let me start off by saying I'm a fairly avid reader, and I've read a wide variety of genres and types of writing styles. The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation is by far one of the best books I have ever read. It has a beautiful story that's both captivating and surprising. It never gets boring, the pacing is great, and the world is so complete and real it is bordering on Tolkien levels of detail and audience understanding. Its story is also very human, you can understand why all the characters due what they do, and each character-even the ones only there for two or three chapters-are fleshed out, they have personalities, ideals, flaws, and lives both before and after the story ends.

The story itself follows a bright and powerful cultivator by the name of Wie-Ying, who wants nothing more than to live his life carefree and keep his family and loved ones safe. But as life often does, nothing goes according to plan and Wie-Ying ends up the greatest evil the world has ever known.

Overall I can't recommend this book enough, and even if you just like a good fiction story this is one of the best, and nothing I can say will do the actual book justice.

If you are having trouble finding the novel the amazing people over at Exiled Rebels did an amazing job translating and posting it in a format accessible by everyone.

(Edit: they have even translated the side stories now!)

Elph's avatar
Feb 5, 2021

I lost my Chinese novel virginity to Mo Dao Zu Shi. A choice I 100% will never regret. I started this journey with the Donghua, and I loved that too. However, I was left wanting more, and immediately delved into this novel.

MDZS’s writing, story, and characters were all amazing, from beginning to finish. I was completely absorbed by this world of clan rivalries and magical cultivation. A theme I found to be captivating was the balance between righteousness and villainy, and the gray area that lies between... If you love misunderstood/persecuted characters, then Wei Wuxian is for you!
Wei Wuxian and Lan Wanji are dynamic and complex. I was so very impressed by this author, and how all the characters were brought to life. Especially Wei Wuxian, with his sense of ethics and his snarky flamboyancy. I love him so much!

Wary of the romantic aspects? In my opinion, MDZS’s romance was one of the best I have ever seen/read, regardless of gender. (To be fair, I should say that I enjoy romances that are more of a slow burn.) However, this story and its characters stand by themselves. Without the romance, this work would still be brilliant. (As can be seen from other versions of this tale that have had the BL censored).

I laughed, I cried (from happiness and fury!), and now... since finishing MDZS has left a void in my life... I shall continue this journey with the live action (The Untamed), and the manhua.

Happy Travels.

Ama3ri's avatar
Dec 27, 2020

Can i just say how much i love how the author used the characters. I do hate how Wei Wuxian is an oblivious little shit, speaking of that, I read the summary and the last part killed me "his archenemy" like???? far from it dude 😡 please say sike and change it to "husband",,, they're married and have a son and,, and,, they're just so in love bro 🥺🥺 please read it.

anyways, back to the more 'serious' side, i liked how the authour didn't really have a "bad guy" considering everyone had their reasons to do things. But the only person i love is Wei Wuxian <333 (as you can tell from my pfp) i'm still not over this fandom desipte only finding out about it over the summer,,, highly recommend checking out the donghua and the other adaptions!! xiao zhan and wang yibo did a great job with the drama, that also goes for the others in the other adaptions!!

P.S. if you liked this novel, suggest checking out SVSSS and Heaven Officals Blessing. They're also very good!!

TL;DR I love Wei Wuxian more than anyone else in this novel, please read it.

RavenKnight01's avatar
Apr 26, 2021

I absoletly loved this novel and whole heartdly recommand it to anyone looking for a good cultivation based world. The story isn't heavily romantic at the beginning, in fact its very subtle. But as the story goes on it builds. Slow burn romance indeed! But even without the romance, the story itself is wonderful. The world created, the fights, the history created and the conflict so well made and described that you can almost picture it as if it were history rather fiction.

There is many scenes that will tug at your heartstrings, moments that you wished never happened after knowing the characters and their background. Likewise there are sweet and soft moments that may tug at memories that remind you of your own experience with friends or family.

Best part, is that there is a happy ending of the founder of diabolism, the ending is the one that if you continue to read is the one we all end up hoping for. Depending on which version you read (from my understanding) theres some things that are edited. The version I read, has many steamy moments once peace has settled in the storyline.

Likewise there are several moments that also made me laugh. This novel will forever hold a special place in my heart.

phoenixwing67's avatar
Aug 29, 2021

Out of the three MXTX, this is my absolute favorite, and I have pre-ordered the official English translation!

Anyway, the plot is heavy and had me bawling my eyes out on several occasions only to make me laugh next. At first, I was thrown off by how much it throws the reader into the past, but as I read further, I realized how necessary that was for the story. The world-building sucked me straight in and I have been trapped since. While some scenarios of the plot can be obvious, there are enough twists that kept me on my toes with the need to read more or suffer in cliffhanger hell until I got the next opportunity to read.

The characters are very enduring. Even those that we're supposed to hate. Some of the villains make you love to hate them. The characters in this feel more fleshed out compared to her other ones, and all of them have depth that you may not realize right off the bat.

Out of the three, this is what I would recommend to people first, and in fact, in most everyday interactions I have, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to come up so that I can recommend this to those around me.

9.8/10 overall