Grand Blue Dreaming - Reviews

Alt title: Grand Blue

Grand Blue Dreaming
orpheusx9's avatar
Nov 9, 2017

You need to read this manga right fucking now.

It's such a breath of fresh air in a world abundant with person-in-a-strange-world mangas. This manga will leave you holding your sides in pain from laughter.

Aside from Gintama, there is no other manga except this one that has me reeling with laughter and practically crying and howling through the night.

The artwork on this piece is also very unique in that it's extremely clean. A lot of other mangas have something about them that make them seem a little messy, but this one the artwork is very refined, and subsequently it's very, very, very gorgeous, even though the overall style isn't strikingly unique. Or, I guess you could say its uniqueness is in its usage of clean lines and whitespace?

AND THE FACES. THE FACES ARE ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

Whatever, just stop reading my review and start reading the manga. You will not regret it. I eagerly check each month for the next chapter of this piece.

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Mar 15, 2020

When talking about Grand Blue Dreaming, one must talk about the humor. It does an excellent job of creating a fun and funny environment with very odd-duck characters. For visual gags, they like using ogre faces and nudity. The nudity is also funny from a more conceptual standpoint, especially since the guys act as though there's nothing weird about it. In a way, this manga is more about drinking parties and public nudity than it is about diving. And that in itself is a bit of an ongoing joke (the fact that this diving club is basically a drinking club).

They do a good job of creating situations which lead to misunderstandings. There are several instances of conversations where the two parties involved are both saying things which are interpreted differently by the other party because of a misunderstanding. This is where the manga really shines for me. This type of humor feels great, especially when the misunderstandings stretch out over multiple chapters.

Chisa's probably the cutest and most engaging character. Fe doesn't really get embarrassed by the nudity and stuff, but fe still does come across as a bit shy and perhaps unaware of feir own romantic feelings. This creates a nice tension where fe's simultaneously cool and bashful. And fe can be vindictive, which creates funny moments. Aina and Azusa were both vital additions to the ensemble in their own ways--Azusa being a bridge between the guys and girls and Aina being a straight man, keeping us rooted in reality and keeping the weirdness weird. They turned Kohei from an otaku into a lolicon. Fe even says stuff like the only 3D girls fe might be interested in are middle schoolers. I'm not sure if I cared for that character development. I ended up liking Sakurako more than I initially thought I would and I'm happy whenever fe shows up in a chapter.

I generally don't enjoy any of the storylines involving the group of classmates (Yamamoto, Mitarai, etc.), the associate professor, or Shiori. But the absolute worst chapters were the ones about the festival at the all girls' college (ch. 24-25), the job at the lab (ch. 40), and the first day of the new semester (ch. 58).

[Reviewed at chapter 60]

AbdulRafayVEVO's avatar
Mar 28, 2021

OVERVIEW ↴

Grand Blue, also known as Grand Blue Dreaming, is a Japanese manga series written by Kenji Inoue and illustrated by Kimitake Yoshioka. The Manga is About Slice of Life and Comedy. As of writing this Review, sixteen volumes have been released

STORY ↴

Iori Kitahara looks forward to his new life on the Izu Penisula as he prepares to start his college life there, staying in a room above his uncle's diving shop "Grand Blue." However, he quickly meets the local Diving Club, a group full of buff men who spend more time drinking, partying, and stripping naked than diving. Despite his attempts to distance himself from the group, Iori gets quickly swept up in their antics, while his cousins try to show him the wonders of diving into the ocean and sea. The Story Itself is very Funny.

ART ↴

The art is best described as simplistic yet beautiful. The diving scenes are drawn with so much detail, it tries to put the reader in the position the characters are in. The character's faces are beautifully and realistically drawn in almost every panel. You can tell the manga put time and research into figuring out the minute details of a human body. Since it's a diving manga, The character's take their clothes off almost all the time and the author did an amazing job showing male and female aesthetics.

CHARACTERS ↴

The cast of Grand Blue seems a bit generic at first glance but grow on you as the series goes on. We have our MC, Kitahara Iori, a college freshman who is confused about how to spend his college life and ends up discovering a passion for something he previously had no interest in. Grand Blue isn't just all diving though, the characters interact with one another outside of diving in multiple ways developing their relationships with one another, especially the members of the diving club. We have Imamura Kouhei, an outgoing handsome man who doesn't care what other people think of him. He likes to truly express what he has a passion for even if other people may negatively label him. He is the first friend Iori makes and the story mainly focuses on their friendship, the struggles that come from it, and their newfound love for diving.

CONCLUSION ↴

In my opinion, Grand Blue is an Excellent Manga with a Great Stroy, Amazing Art Style and Great Cast. An absolute Must-Read for Slice of Life and Comedy fans that wants an exciting journey. It is one of the Best Manga out there. I'd recommend reading this Manga.

9.5/10 characters