Girls' Last Tour - Reviews

Alt title: Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou

Girls' Last Tour
ClubFoot's avatar
Aug 18, 2018

I won't be able to say that Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is one of the powerful anime at the season. This apocalyptic story turns into a plot without direction that makes many interpretations of a world filled with immortality which it dies inside. Although this isn't the last time some works take place in a post-apocalyptic, there are so many you can't count but most are always created various cliches which we have always seen it, some still can handle it, some combine with any other elements, add a few subplots, but some of them fall in the place. The anime is great, I admit, but the manga carries its readers into the deeper level and one of the depressing and dark endings for manga with cute characters in it. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou takes a lot of philosophy in small pieces and designed without direction, without purpose, but there are so much mysteries about this post-apocalyptic world.

As the story reaches the point when Chito and Yuuri meet with a deus ex machina that controls the situation on earth after the apocalypse, the story continues and aims to move to the next level again. This is one of the shows that combines elements of philosophy and survive. While surviving, there is a lot of deep meaning to be explained as the existence of the world, life, death, rain, future, nostalgia, even tobacco. Well, you would never find it except in this manga. There is some reference that connected to the manga such as The World as Will and Idea by Arthur Schopenhauer about the philosophy of the world. Although it's not mentioned, there are some of the small details. Each chapter depends on all situations from the two main characters either while sitting on a campfire, waiting for their clothes to dry, or staring at the sunset. I think, the ending is quite ambiguous but we all know what will happen at the end. For a manga with characters like this, I think it's just a lot of disturbing and depressing even though we don't know what will happen until they have to sacrifice a lot. Well, it's not that dark if you are so curious but maybe you should read it too if you still feel wanting.

I really like an absurd art because there is a lot of artistic value and meaning in it. You can interpret whatever you want, connect to other things, and you can see the messages and the themes depending on what are you think. In this manga, the art is great for me, a so absurd sketch but it's like a beautiful way for the author. It has a lot of ambiguity and an integrated mystery in the post-apocalyptic world which only two girls in which they live in. Every location, it quite works for me like the details that show broken buildings, when depicting each character even though it is different in the anime yet the landscape with a middle of nowhere filled with all the destruction but no one living in that world. It's like living in a narrow world infinitely to be explored.

There isn't much that can be explained in the characters, as I wrote in the previous review in the anime. The main characters include Chito and Yuuri since along the way they find other characters as well as the androids. Kinda reminds me of The Terminator in a few chapters and episodes about the world which has been given to androids who are tasked with protecting those who still exist with a threat that I also didn't know. The final chapters did have many interpretations in them, besides I say that if one of the quite depressing and dark endings, I bet. Maybe, are they both safe? Did the deus ex machina come to pick them up? Is there someone waiting for them? Or is the world they live in isn't the earth we know? Well, the last question reminds me of the Planet of the Apes. There is so much information and implication about it but there are also some people who relate it to other works. Regardless, it's up to you.

Each chapter isn't very complex and doesn't show the small details as shown in the anime. However, the manga isn't too complex but is so easy to understand and not too long. I can read each chapter in just a few minutes, getting it's not too long because each chapter is short but not too short. In this aspect, I prefer the manga itself rather than the anime which has a slow pace and tedious in certain aspects. In a nutshell, the manga is short, solid, and clear when compared to the anime.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is one of the masterfully crafted for a temporary world. The settings which occurred after the war ended in so many souls floating without any results. The war doesn't produce anything but this is caused by humans in this anime, an empty world like no one else lives except the two main characters. The art is great, has a lot of uniqueness in every philosophy explained, the art is sketchy, and the story not too complex. A story without any direction and purpose is difficult to connect but there are also some that make it as a plot hole. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is full of various interpretations in it and too much can be obtained in a world that is so real.

Crxck's avatar
Jul 14, 2020

This manga series is probably the best manga I have ever read. All though that might make my review a little biast.

Starting with the story, It's your basic apocalyptic aftermath of war story. Very basic but you don't see series as well crafted as Girl's Last Tour's, Story kinda derails from that basic apocalyptic war story. Instead of seeing just the terrors of the war aftermath. There is also (Four humans left alive) according to what we've seen. So we see the two other peoples goals. Kinda ditching the apocalyptic feel at some points. Probably the best apocalyptic manga/anime, I have seen so far. I enjoyed how Tsukumizu kinda drifted away from the scarieness of war aftermath. And made it fun and enjoyable. Other than that I have nothing else to say about the story.

Now the art, When reading Girl's Last Tour I noticed how clean yet cartoony the drawings looked. Although that's not a great description it looks rather great in my opinion. The drawings have great detail when they need to cluttering the page with a eye luring greatness of drawings. I just really like the cartoony yet clean look Girl's Last Tour's drawings are. That's obviously my opinion so take that with a grain of salt.

Onto the characters, The two main characters Chito and Yuu as there called. Are a pair of energetic kids essentially. Since they were forced to leave their home at a young age because of war they didn't learn much. Yuu doesn't even have the ability to read. While Chito loves reading. So they have given character traits/quirks if you would call them that. Which would be the base for a good character. But as they move up platforms they meet two people teaching them things along the way and we discover some interesting things about the new secondary character we meet even if it's only for a chapter or a few, We learn about them and almost think of them as one of the main charatcers to the story. Essentially you can get attached to the characters and feel for them. Which I think already says you've already made good characters. There's also quite the character development with the Chito and Yuu. They express what they feel more and more through out the story and such.

That's pretty much all I have to say without giving spoilers. I did try to not include spoilers as I want the people reading this too check out the manga for themselves!

Also this is my first review so it might be relatively bad. Sorry.

9.7/10 overall