Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale - Reviews

Alt title: Owari Nochi, Asanagi-kurashi.

Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jul 5, 2021

This made me salivate and hunger for a yummy, homecooked meal--which is probably the highest compliment I could give to a food manga like this. In each chapter, someone (usually Nagi) prepares a dish while doing a step-by-step walkthrough of the process. It's basically a cooking show. An ingredient list with precise amounts is also included, so I assume that people could follow the instructions and actually replicate these dishes if they wanted to. These are the dishes and food items made:

• Pumpkin dumplings (ch. 1)
  • Japanese-style miso ratatouille (ch. 2)
  • Cafe latte (ch. 3)
  • Turnip soup (ch. 4)
  • Freeze-dried tofu karaage (ch. 5)
  • Walnut soup (ch. 6)
  • Cream stew (ch. 7)
  • Sea bream sashimi (ch. 8)
  • Simmered sea bream carcass (ch. 9)
  • Pita pocket sandwiches (ch. 10)
  • Veggie chirashi-sushi (ch. 11)
  • Chicken and rice porridge (ch. 12)
  • Pumpkin flan (ch. 13)
  • Buche de Noel (ch. 14)

We meet quite a few villagers and travelers. And the main tension is people having to get used to being around Asa (the giant, never-before-seen species of spider). Obviously, almost everyone's first reaction is fear and an assumption that Asa is a dangerous monster. But after seeing how Asa helps with the cooking process and hands out the dishes and stuff like that, most people end up coming around to seeing fem as more of a cuddly pet than a threat. Asa has weird noodly and stretchy appendages that fe uses as arms. I assume that these are two of feir eight legs, but perhaps all of feir legs can stretch like Luffy? Asa's design is cute. I appreciate the small amounts of drama and daily living mixed in with the cooking stuff. It helped give the series a unique flavor. The village life is rustic and lacks internet and whatnot, but that's the only indication that the world has gone through some sort of civilization-destroying apocalypse. It's way more peaceful and comfortable than you might assume.

The last few chapters and the attempts to emotionally wrap everything up were a bit too sentimental and corny for my taste. And, if I'm being completely honest, the cooking show narrations throughout could be pretty dry to read through. But overall, I think it did a good job for what it was trying to do.

Mentallysighing's avatar
Mar 22, 2021

This is a cute wholesome short read and you also learned some cool recipes

Not a huge fan of spiders but Asa is adorable<3