Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman. - Reviews

Alt title: More Than a Married Couple, But Not Lovers

Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman.
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Nov 21, 2019

Let's set aside how authoritarian, how unethical, and most importantly how pointlessly impractical it would be for a school to require its students to act lovey-dovey with another randomly-chosen student, supposedly for the purpose of having the students practice what it would be like to be newlyweds (it's like playing house, but with the possibility of failing and hurting your academic record). That dystopian scenario is being used because it creates a sense of romantic tension. Jirou and Akari are set up as practice marriage partners, but they both have crushes on other people. The only way to switch partners is to receive a high grade and the only way to receive a high grade is to play for the cameras watching their every move in the house they're forced to share, to act like they love somebody that they don't have any feelings for. Will their facade eventually lead to them developing actual feelings for each other?

And how can they trust Shiori and Minami, the people they have crushes on? If their crushes achieve high grades, wouldn't that mean that they acted lovey-dovey and got along well with their partners? What if they've actually developed feelings for each other? This manga follows the self-doubt and awkwardness of loving somebody when you feel uncertain whether fe'll love you back. I hate Shiori...just thought I'd put that out there.

[Reviewed at chapter 20]

benefits860's avatar
Jan 19, 2021

I'm not a fan of akari. Just gonna be straight up, shiori tryna put everything on the line and I respect her dedication. Akari on the other hand has someone she can fall back on. I don't read romance often, but when I feel the urge I just wanna see the mc and fmc chill. Seeing her crying with that gay dude or whatever made me feel weird. Jirou and shiori 100 percent.

both girls are bad but mc is terrible. Shiori had that lil situation where she "rejected" him(misunderstanding) and Akari had that lil thing where the guy she liked rejected her and now she's going after jirou. Jirou would blush in front of any girl so he's just terrible.

I feening for some good action manga, please help. I don't want to read this anymore but I'm so bored.

orpheusx9's avatar
Feb 21, 2022

TL;DR - Has cute moments but is mostly frustrating.

As other reviewers have noted, the premise is dumb. Basically a school mandates random student pairings of husband and wife under the pretense that it's practice for newlywed life when they get older. If you get good grades (e.g., are lovey enough) then you'd be able to switch pairs. So our main male lead and female lead are together, and they've agreed to work together to get their grades up so that they can switch and be with the actual people they like.

The problem? They, predictably, fall in love with each other. But of course, they absolutely refuse to tell each other out of fear of putting the other out, making things awkward, getting rejected, etc. It's not necessarily a bad conflict, but...

/SPOILERS

What really killed this is the fact that they discover they like each other less than 10 chapters in. At least with other romance stories like Nisekoi, the leads start off genuinely disinterested in each other (borderline hating each other) and it takes a long, long time and lots of stuff happening for them to finally understand their feelings. But here it happened pretty much right away. So all of the story's tension revolves around neither person just saying, "Hey, I actually like you," and it's insanely aggravating. There aren't even any interesting side-conflicts either, except for one unrequited love, because this isn't really a harem but a love triangle. So the only points of interest are the MC and FMC's relationships.

When they first started having an inkling that they liked each other, it was kinda cute. But it's dragged out for fucking 44 chapters now (and each chapter is fairly long, 10-15 min read), and they still haven't resolved their feelings (even though one of the other primary conflicts did get resolved!!).

/END SPOILERS

Art is gorgeous. Lots of nice fan service too, if you're into that kinda thing. But the characters? Dumb. It's rage-inducing how dense our male lead is. And based on how the latest chapters have gone, I think we've unfortunately just ended an arc and have at least one or two more to go before we reach the end, and I'm not sure I have the patience to sit through it.

Timistime's avatar
Jan 13, 2022

It's so dramatic and sometimes the comedy just feels forced, then in chapter 44 it just randomly becomes a romcom lol. I find it ok chapter 44 makes u feel at ease, and the comedy though forced it does feel refreshing.