Future Diary - Reviews

Alt title: Mirai Nikki

Future Diary
Adhyaksa's avatar
Dec 30, 2009

Mirai Nikki is a manga that follows the story of a bystander who's always writing a diary with his cellphone. Not long after the manga starts, this young man is caught in a game of survival or rather...destiny.  A game that only one will remain and stand on top of everyone's corpse, a game of mutinies, a game which even god is digusted to look at, and a game...of affection.

Story: 8/10

First impression i got when i read this manga was "this is so Higurashi and DeathNote combined", turns out i wasn't really wrong. While being 30-50 pages per chapter can almost guarantee the depth of the story, this manga deepens it even more with well-placed interactions between the characters. The past and backgrounds of the characters are quite easy to comprehend.  The story is good, but it isn't all that special.

Artwork: 7/10

Nothing's special about the artwork, really. It's just enough, though i'd really like Mirai Nikki to be an anime series with much darker artwork than the manga.

Characters: 7/10

Not much, the main guy,Yuki is not even interesting up until the newest chapter translated. Now,if you take a look at my avatar, you'll know that i like Yuno as a character. Why? the sole reason is that she's a pure "yandere", no will other than to protect her loved one, Other characters are pretty generic except for Akise, which seems...to like Yuki more than friends, the newest chapter comfirms this even more. I don't like shounen-ai, so if this continues and with less Yuno appearance, i might drop it without a second thought.

Overall: 7.3/10

All in all, this manga is not bad, it's almost the other way around. I admit sometimes, there are mangas that's not really for everyone, if you like gore or "guro", you'd probably wanna give this one a try (though the portion has been decreased as the chapter goes). If you don't really like "guro" this one is quite okay, if you pay attention to the story at least.

7.3/10 overall
squidybit's avatar
Aug 22, 2012

I like the concept a lot, and the art is nice (I like the style of drawing hair) but the characters so far don't seem to be very complex or realistic. This is a problem since the entire story is driven by how the characters play off each others' actions. The main characters is pretty relatable and believable even if he doesn't do much or have very complex emotions, (hey, he's a teenager) but his stalker doesn't make a lot of sense, (if she's the popular girl, why didn't she just tell him she liked him? She's obviously not shy about it. Stalkers stalk from a lack of confidence..) and so far none of the other players in the game have shown any fear or insecurity, even though they're in exactly the same position as the main kid. They are very flat characters, mostly portrayed as simple enemies.

Also, the diaries. When do they get written? Come on, don't say it's their future selves if they don't ever end up doing it. Sloppy writing. (Plus why are they all phones? Doesn't anyone write on paper?)

I'll change this review if these things change, but it doesn't seem like they're going to.

7.5/10 art
5.5/10 overall
NoSeR's avatar
Aug 13, 2011

Story - It was so good that I literally read it within a few hours. Not all at once of course. The first 3/4 of the manga was good but that last bit seemed kind of weird. It was a good story and I enjoyed it. First manga I fully read.

9.5/10 characters
9.3/10 overall
kurokam1's avatar
Jun 10, 2018

Had to read the manga after watching the anime. Your welcome. No Spoilers either.

Synopsis: Some ultra-bitch named Yuki is somehow given a diary that tells the future. Simple enough. However, so are like 11 other people and they have to play in a game of death where they have to ice each other. However on his side is a really crazy but still sexy psychopath named Yuno Gasai. Roll Credits

Story: After thinking about it i realize this manga is just a geneic shounen manga at its core with a very good lead females. the story was average. The ending was a clusterfuck but still achieved what it was trying to achieve: me crying for 15 minutes in extreme pain. Ending is gutwrenching but the rest of the story is decent.

Art: Yeah this shit was morbid as hell sometimes. This shit took the cake if u wanted violence. They showed the bone in her arm, good god. Not many problems with the art. Alot of nudity present which i enjoyed. Character design was unique and hella sexy. Ok only for Yuno and Minene but hey wait hey both sexy.

Characters: Mostly generic. Yuki was unique cause he such a fucking pussy and Yuno was unique in every form of the word in every sense and i loved her. The other diary users were unremarkable except for Tsubaki becuse she's so damn sexy. And Minene. They were there then Yuno killed them or they stuck around long enough to not die. The character dynamics were okay most of the time but anyone that interacts with Yuki immediately turns generic

I highly suggest you read this first and not the anime first. It gives you a more fucked up version of them. As always my reviews are ass so I suggest you read

propolismetropolis's avatar
Jan 18, 2012

This was the first manga I read that introduced me into the whole psychological thriller genre, Death Note be damned. If you can stomach some bloody scenes/deaths, and some twisted characters, be prepared for a good story.

Story: The story starts off pretty simple. Here's a kid whose "imaginary friend" Deus Ex Machina forces him into a murder game to see who the next God will be. However, with each new character, the story deepens and darkens, always showing people in their worst light and never assuming that there's good in everyone. After a while, the story isn't just about this game, it's about why the game exists, for how long it has existed, and is the prize as good as it seems. It's a mystery wrapped up in blood.

Art: I've DEFINTELY seen better. More details, more care, just more. However, there is something about the art style, as simplistic as it is, that enhances the experience. It makes each death, each character reveal that much more revolting, surprising, and captivating. The world of Mirai Nikki is distorted and the art style supports that.

Characters: THEY MAKE THIS STORY. Yuki's realistically (so much so that it gets annoying) portrayed as a kid who is terrfied of the trouble he has gotten himself into. He is just an average teen who cannot fight, and cannot win, because he has never had to before. Yuno is...I don't want to give anything away, but she is PIVOTAL as a character. She continued to surprise and amaze me with the depth of her love and just how far she was willing to go for it. As for the side characters, they become much more than that. They all have their own reasons for having diaries and fighting. Sometimes, what they are fighting for outweighs Yuki's initial reason: for his own survival. I don't want to give away anything more, but suffice it to say that each new character introduced is essential to the plot.

Overall: Besides the simple, but oddly appealing art, this is one heck of a good manga. It's a page turner that requires some attention to get, especially towards the end. It may be like other psychological thrillers but it is definitely one of the better ones.

6.5/10 art