Erased - Reviews

Alt title: Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Erased
Eiraza's avatar
Dec 13, 2016

So this is mostly a mystery, suspense manga. Not gonna leave a very long review here. No direct love interest per say, just the insinuation of one to be continued. Read it all in a couple of hours, really good I must say. Plot, characters, and really satisfying ending.

If you liked the anime you'll definitely like this.

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Sep 13, 2019

The story is beautifully written. Satoru jumps back in time twenty years to feir childhood and uses this as an opportunity to try to prevent the kidnapping and murder of one of feir classmates, Kayo. Fe must try to find and foil the plans of a very clever culprit who hides in the shadows. We see Satoru's character grow and develop even as fe returns to feir childhood. Fe has trace sociopathic elements, but these are overshadowed by feir innate desire to be a superhero fighting for justice. Fe has a quirk of spouting out whatever fe's thinking, which creates many lighthearted moments. Feir mother, Sachiko, is very insightful and righteous, and acts as a stable rock for Satoru throughout feir journey. Their relationship is probably one of the most touching parts of the story--showing both the annoyance children can have toward their parents, but also the deep love and affection.

For the story, everything up through chapter 32, I would rate as a 10/10. For the last thirteen chapters, I would rate it as a 2/10. The current ending involved changing the culprit's modus operandi to something which didn't match feir previous characterization. There were definitely better ways they could've resolved the story, but even though the ending left a bad taste in my mouth, I would still recommend this manga as being one worth reading.

Tokavega's avatar
Jun 8, 2021

I love time travel stories and this was one of the best I've read.

ReviewBonfire's avatar
Jan 20, 2021

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

The Town Where Only I Am Missing

Didn't read the manga until after the anime adaptation. Among other things, I wanted to know whether this whole topic of time travel is explained in more detail in the manga.

If anyone is interested, no, it is not explained. In other words, the manga is just like the anime, with one major exception.
From the point in episode 10 when the breakup came, the anime took a different direction. The manga had a different and longer finale from then on. Among other things, I liked this one more because you had seen a lot more of the main antagonist.

The basic idea behind the plot appealed to me immediately. Basically, it's an approach that is generally promising and offers a lot of leeways.

The course of the plot was also satisfactory. There was a little lack of tension and the conversations were a bit flat too.

What was done right, however, was the atmosphere. Both in the manga and in the anime adaptation. This could lift the somewhat fluctuating tension nicely.

My biggest problem with the plot is the lack of clarification of the skills / events. Time travel is all well and good, but if the explanation is missing, it is only half the cheese.

Drawing

Slightly above average. The draftsman's strength was definitely not in the characters, but in the environment and the presentation.

Except for the wanted murderer, all characters were mostly monotonous and weak. They have been as normal as they could possibly be. Accordingly, it was difficult to build any interest in them.

Conclusion

It was quite an interesting manga. Basically, I liked it slightly better than the anime. With a little more detail and explanation, it could certainly have gotten better.

5.5/10 art