Dragon Ball: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha!

Alt title: Dragon Ball Gaiden: Tensei-shitara Yamcha Datta Ken

Add review
TheAngryBears's avatar
Nov 11, 2018

Full Review here:

Short version: Essentially, "That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha!" is ascended fan fiction. The Mangaka Dragongarow LEE made a name for himself by drawing fanart time and time again until Shonen Jump picked him up to make a fun one-off side series.

And here we are. The art for this book lovingly recreates early DBZ's manga and while there aren't as many fights as I would have expected they are pretty well drawn. The story is simple, but its to be expected. I mean 1: its an Isekai "I died/was magic'd/was something into another world", and 2: Its a DBZ story. This series is all about people training hard enough to fly, shoot lasors and dye their hair. And as a silly, stupid story that gives Yamcha an excuse to fight more it does a fine job with it.

As for the story I'll keep it brief, since "That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha!" is only 1 volume long. So unnamed Japanese student is focused too much on video games and his favorite series: Dragonball. He then dies and awakens in the body of Yamcha before Dragonball kid Goku trains with Master Roshi. Reincarnated Yamcha realizes he has a chance of dating his waifu Bulma, but also he's going to die the moment Vegita arrives on earth. So Reincarnated Yamcha has to use everything he knows about the DBZ series and train like hell to not die horribly.

This simple book makes for a fun read for fans of the Dragonball series, both old and new. Definately check it out.