Domestic Girlfriend - Reviews

Alt title: Domestic na Kanojo

Domestic Girlfriend
KuroOkami's avatar
Jan 22, 2019

I admit, my first contact with this work was through the anime that just started airing this season (Winter 2019). I'm a romantic by nature, so I tend to gravitate towards that genre, but I'm usually disappointed by the fact that most of the stories have to throw so much comedy into the mix that it just becomes unreasonable. After one episode of this anime though, I was hooked. It had everything, romance, comedy, drama, ecchi, but all told in a reasonable down-to-earth manner that was believable enough to think that it really could happen this way (I've lived long enough to see a lot of these things happen and know the old saying "Truth is stranger than fiction" is very true). I was so hooked that I couldn't wait for episode 2 to find out more, so I started reading.

It was impossible to put down, all the elements I mentioned before where there in an easy to read format that still somehow let you feel in the moment with the characters. Oh and the characters, I love them all. Yes, of course there are so stereotypes, but they still feel unique and different enough to not seem boring. Even when you know exactly what's gonna happen, you still can't help going on the journey with them because even knowing the ending, you don't want to miss a thing.

While I've never been the biggest reader (because I'm slow as hell), I couldn't put this story down and preferred to miss sleep just to know a little more. If you have even the slightest interest in the genre, I whole-hearted recommend Domestic Girlfriend as a must read. My only disappointment is in the fact that since it's not completed, I now have to wait to find out what happens next.

EpicVolts's avatar
Dec 28, 2018

I started reading this manga because it was on my recommendations, and it was the best thing I ever did. The characters are all likeable, and they are all very relatable for me. The characters seem so realistic that I can't help but fall in love with them and experience the story as if it was through my own eyes. The story is so good and enticing, it keeps you on the edge, making you want to know what is going to happen next, and I spend the whole day reading the manga, as I couldn't put it down until I caught up with the latest chapter! Overall, this manga is a great read, and one of the best I have read, as the characters and realistic enough to see the characters as real people to relate and take advice from.

iLive4Anime's avatar
Mar 1, 2019

(REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS) I read all 220 chapters is a span of around a week. I wanted to read this since i hated having to wait a week for one ep in  the anime adaption. I remember a while ago in 2018 when I saw the anime and read the synopsis and it really intrigued me. I like some weird stuff I do admit this, but I was like, " hell yeah this sounds good".

THOUGHTS ABOUT MANGA

My thoughts are all jumbled up in my head. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I rated a 10 because I can't not rate so I would rather it be a 10 and not a 0. At first when I started this manga I just wanted to see the relationship with Hina. I really did and I also did not like Riu at first. I thought she was just mean. Am I satisfied with how things ended with Hina and Riu. No i am like kind of triggered, but I understand everone can't be happy forever. I don't like to see Hina and Riu I guess interact with potential BF because I just want Riu and Hina to be with the MC and just be happy, but I know that this is not that type of manga. I really have no thoughts about this manga, but I guess just dissatisfaction. I have no feeling no more after going through so much when you read the manga to the point where I just want Riu to not go out with the chef boy. I don't hate him, but I just don't like new male characters.

KenZilla360's avatar
Feb 26, 2019

If you like romance, have a thing for incest (in a way but not exactly in this show), enjoy emotional rollercoasters, and have a best girl that you would champion, this is the anime/manga for you! My beginning sentence may have been unclear but this manga is truly one-of-a-kind. The whole thing is a massive EMPTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER. This is the novel that made me unable to sleep at night and struggle to focus on daily tasks. I'm not saying that you shouldn't read it, but in fact the polar opposite.

If you read this manga, you'll never regret it. In fact, you may have a whole new view on how Romance mangas should be! The plot of this manga isn't overexaggerated or "flowered up." The characters all experience development and realize what (and who) exactly they need in their lives.

This novel is the one that'll make you cry when the characters cry, laugh when they laugh, and smile when they smile. If there is anything that I want you to do, it is to give this novel a try.

TL;DR, This novel is for you. Read it. I promise that you won't be disappointed (the promise of a romance manga reader).

Mdb7's avatar
Jun 2, 2020

Alright, let me start off by saying this is the first manga I've ever read. I loved the anime and wanted to see what happened so I read the manga, simple as that. In fact I was so inspired by this manga at the beginning, I began writing for myself. I have no idea why people are giving this a ten. It was so fucking good and then it got so bad so fast. As I am writing this I just finished reading chapter 274 and 275 is coming out tonight.                            SPOILERS AHEAD

First off, it started off great. Good characters, interesting new plot, and some pretty good art. When Rui and Natsuo got together it was chill then Rui moves to America to try and become a chef. This is when the plot plummets. It keeps walking in circles about how Rui and Natsuo love each other. And in the end, it's all pointless. Chapter 275 is leaked and basically even after Natsuo has a fucking kid, he decides to place his love in someone in a fucking coma. like wtf. then Kina wakes up and it's all just total bullshit because basically the last 150 chapters didn't matter at all. The manga would have been totally complete without them. Just another money squeeze out of the pockets of someone who got invested into characters for it all to be a worthless, pile of shit that makes no sense in the end. If the leaks are real and this is how it ends I refuse to acknowledge that. I'll just forget it ever happened and just say that Natsuo and Rui got married and lived a happy life because at that point and everything they had been though, it is the ending that should have happened. I'm not just saying this because I'm team Rui, I'm saying this because this ending doesn't fit with anything that happened beforehand. Good art and lovable characters cant carry a story all the way.