Devil Number 4 - Reviews

Devil Number 4
upsidepenguin's avatar
Aug 1, 2020

<READ IT ON "WEBTOON" FOR FREE AND TO SUPPORT THE AUTHOR>

Read at https://www.webtoons.com/en/supernatural/devil-no-4/list?title_no=1695&page=1

I really like the concept of this webtoon. The angel-devil-human-god fantasy concept has been used many times, but this webtoon does it really well, so it does not feel cliche. Excellent story development and gets really interesting as the story progresses.

The art is absolutely beautiful, and all of the characters look amazing, especially Mika. I really like the artstyle, so it's a 10/10 for me.

As for the story, it's well-paced but could be considered slow for some. The plot gives enough development to each character, and it makes the readers curious, especially the flashbacks. The beginning chapters where Devil No. 4 (male lead) is trying to get Hanna (female lead) to sign the contract is quite slow. They signed the contract at chapter 15, but they actually finalize the contract and what Hanna wants at around Chapter 23.

After that the story picks up and the first arc peaks at around chapter 52. After that, more flashbacks appear and we understand more about the characters. Actually, I like the second arc a lot more than the first arc. Devil No. 4 and Hanna also develop their relationship well throughout the story, and do talk to each other about their feelings in the second arc. Basically, the story gets very good after they finalize the contract. Also, I liked the humour sprinkled throughout the webtoon.

As for the characters, they're alright the first 30 chapters, and get better later on. The female lead seems to be indifferent towards life, but there are underlying reasons for her perspective, which are expained early on. At first I saw her as a bland person, but she gets good development to the point where she's a likeable character. The male lead has an interesting personality.

The main characters get really interesting as the story goes on, but for the first few chapters everything was kind of boring. I don't like the slight love triangle between Hanna and Joon and Devil No. 4, but Hanna makes it clear in the second arc that she only sees Joon as a friend, so the triangle didn't bother me too much.

Other characters play a pivotal role in the story, and I love them all very much. Mika, Devil No. 2, God, and Peace are excellent sub-main characters. All characters were introduced smoothly and make the story more interesting.

Though the first 25 chapters didn't capture my interest much (though they were essential to the development of the plot), it gets really good later on, especially around the latest chapters. I recommend you give this one a try.

ThekayX8's avatar
Apr 5, 2021

So I really loved this comic from chapters 1-100. Then it was like this author said fck this sht.

SPOILERS AHEAD

So around the last chapters it was as if the author was going to give them a bad ending but decided against it for the readers. It doesn't make since to me that they get their memories erased when their memories is how they fell in love. His job is why they fell in love so how are they just magically still together after their memories were swiped. The author didn't care to explain what their memories were replaced by but told us the ML memories of his old job was replaced by a regular job. Everyone who gave everything up to save save her suffered. No one got a happy end but the black-haired angel. They spent 8 years apart just for him to sleep for another 10 years. She ended up being 40 while he was in spirit 20. I find it Wierd that she stays with him even after her memory is erased. She's basically a sugar mama. The whole ending is confusing and missing a lot. This happy ending isn't really happy because they ended up getting their memories erased anyway. She ended up aging without him. She can't have many children but he can. Shes stuck with him weather she likes it or not because she's bound by her lost memories. That's not a happy ending. I wanted them to be together but not like this. This was just tragic. Wouldn't she have lost her love for him? This whole ending is confusing and I honestly think I wasted my time with this comic. Beautiful art and good story if you were going for something tragic instead of romantic.

tetsuuki's avatar
Jul 22, 2020

I dropped on this manga a few years ago, and decided to come back to it (just because I was really bored). It was kinda cliche and somewhat annoying at a few parts, but after a few chapters, I really enjoyed it. It does start off slow, and makes you want to drop it but later on it gets better.

Hana815's avatar
Apr 1, 2021

Things that stood out to me in this webtoon.

One is the plot. It is the type of story that, the more you read it the more you find out how much thought and planning went on this from the author. Because there are lot of foreshadowing in the early chapters about what might happen in the later half. Which I loved. A lot of world building went on it and the concept behind this Webtoon was interesting. I really liked that.

A story to binge read. I read it in three days. And that really made me appreciate the plot and the planning done by the author even more.
Though I feel the ending was felt like it was missing something(?) It was a good ending. But for me it felt safe and I wasn't really surprised about it, idk ...

Number two is the art. It is so pretty! The little details and the expressions, so good. The color pallet is lovely.

It is a good story to binge on when you are bored. It is sweet and the art is lovely.

8.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
userk4's avatar
Jul 11, 2021

I read this a bit ago so i dont remember much, but it was pretty good! The characters were really well-rounded and the art is beautiful. The plot was super interesting too, although to me, the ending seemed rushed and I was left kind of unsatisfied/disappointed and confused. I would say that going into this, don't really expect this to be a full-on romance. It kinda started out as one, but in later episodes it seemed to me like it became more of an afterthought. The ml and fl really dont spend as much time together as I thought they would, and there's a lot of focus on the side characters (which isn't a bad thing! i just wasnt expecting it.) I probably would have enjoyed this more if I went into it anticipating the world-building instead of romance. So if you're looking for a love story, this isn't for you, but if you want a really cool concept with a bit of romance on the side, go for it!