Descent of the Demon Master - Reviews

Alt titles: Majon Hyeonse Gangnimgi, The Descent of the Demonic Master

Descent of the Demon Master
happydots's avatar
Apr 30, 2020

This isn't your typical manga where the OP MC battles new enemies and ventures off to save the world. The MC's just trying to live a normal life with OP powers, and it's incredibly entertaining. The dude's so dense about how overpowered he is and the way everyone is shocked by how OP he is makes it funny.

Of course, it might be a little boring and slow to pick up at the beginning, but once the secretary arrives, that's when everything becomes funny. It's honestly a nice break from reading mangas filled with dramatic battles from the beginning to the end. You get your dose of satisfaction from the awesome battle scenes and the reactions he gets from being OP. I definitely recommend this!

enoodee's avatar
Aug 14, 2020

I believe you've read all of the stuffs about the manga on other reviews already, so here's my take.

Story: The MC is OP. The MC wants a normal life. I personally approached this manga as a slice of life manga with fighting as an extra sauce. It's comedic and pleasant to read, although I acknowledge that this is not everyone's cup of tea as somemight prefer 'more serious' fightings like reverse villain or god of highschool. There are some complaints about the dragging of the military enlistment but imo this is why I enjoyed the manga - comedy.

Art: It's pleasant. It's easy to read.

Characters: 2-sided argument here.

Good: The MC's personality is quite explored through the conflict of his goal: trying to live a normal life and his over-the-top actions, along with the conflicts of his 'old self' and his resolve.

The other charaacters are fairly likable. The 'bad guys' soon become quite understanable/relatable characters.

Bad: Perhaps some of the characters are a bit bland ex. The MC's family apart from his dad. The sister is a miss imo. It's like she's just there to show that the MC is a sis-con. But hey. It's a manga.

Overall: A funny manga. Fun fights. Quite likable MC, has a lot of potential.

I'm looking forward to how the plot will 'thicken' in the future....perhaps it will be more fighting-centric? who knows?

9.5/10 story
Peanut173's avatar
Aug 8, 2020

I have 1 thing that i pearsonaly didint like,they could have made the milatary part shorter becouse i dont think it was that important to the story.All around a great manga and i hope the artists keep doing more stuff like this.

MonarqueCeleste's avatar
Jun 28, 2020

The plot is good, the mc eh not so much. He is written in a way that makes you think it's character development but in fact the author just gave him a mental illness. The problem is they are trying to disguise it as character development. Suddenly MC has issues with killing or taking revenge. He seemingly can't socialize anymore, but only when it's convenient.

He is fine going to internet cafe, karaoke and restaurants with friends. He even make more friends along the way but become of some fake deep crap the author will try to make the mc appear as a loner which he is not. He has never acted like a loner so imputing him that now just feels forced. Every conversation is now some kind of bull philosophy where MC learns the power of friendship. Gtfoh with that nonsense.

He was never shown to be that dense or asocial before. He was just slightly more mature than his peers now he is dense as a rock and can't understand anything anymore. Everything he does just causes misunderstandings and then he saves the day and you add some crap lesson about life at the end and you will have people thinking this is great storytelling. It's not.

Also we learn nothing about the power system in that world which is a bit annoying for a martial art/cultivation manwha. There is not much fight or cultivation going on. We know mc was strong but not how strong. And even know you don't know what's his level. You barely see him meditate to gather qi but is that enough to become stronger? Doesn't he have to cultivate? Practice some martial arts or something? Are we just to assume that he's strong just like that? I wouldn't complain if it was a slice of life but it's a freaking action and adventure manwha and there's very little of that.

Ponyo18's avatar
Aug 15, 2020

I'm going to be real honest. I didn't find this interesting AT ALL.

Overall3/5 stars