Descent of the Demon Master - Reviews

Alt title: Majon Hyeonse Gangnimgi

Descent of the Demon Master
MonarqueCeleste's avatar
Jun 28, 2020

The plot is good, the mc eh not so much. He is written in a way that makes you think it's character development but in fact the author just gave him a mental illness. The problem is they are trying to disguise it as character development. Suddenly MC has issues with killing or taking revenge. He seemingly can't socialize anymore, but only when it's convenient.

He is fine going to internet cafe, karaoke and restaurants with friends. He even make more friends along the way but become of some fake deep crap the author will try to make the mc appear as a loner which he is not. He has never acted like a loner so imputing him that now just feels forced. Every conversation is now some kind of bull philosophy where MC learns the power of friendship. Gtfoh with that nonsense.

He was never shown to be that dense or asocial before. He was just slightly more mature than his peers now he is dense as a rock and can't understand anything anymore. Everything he does just causes misunderstandings and then he saves the day and you add some crap lesson about life at the end and you will have people thinking this is great storytelling. It's not.

Also we learn nothing about the power system in that world which is a bit annoying for a martial art/cultivation manwha. There is not much fight or cultivation going on. We know mc was strong but not how strong. And even know you don't know what's his level. You barely see him meditate to gather qi but is that enough to become stronger? Doesn't he have to cultivate? Practice some martial arts or something? Are we just to assume that he's strong just like that? I wouldn't complain if it was a slice of life but it's a freaking action and adventure manwha and there's very little of that.

n3vermind's avatar
Jul 1, 2020

【spoilers】

So at first I was like "Woah, cool manhwa!", but my thoughts have changed dramatically. After him becoming a soilder, and like 20 chapters of him in the army. I was getting really pissed. Nobody cared if he went to the army, and nobody wanted it in so much detail. I felt like they needed a reason to make extra chapters. It could have gone on with him just killing bad people, becoming stronger and repeating that. Althought that wouldn't be that good either. Its better than having 20 chapters of him doing absolutely nothing. I get up to date with the manha, but literally I am so close to dropping it.

starsandback's avatar
Apr 30, 2020

This isn't your typical manga where the OP MC battles new enemies and ventures off to save the world. The MC's just trying to live a normal life with OP powers, and it's incredibly entertaining. The dude's so dense about how overpowered he is and the way everyone is shocked by how OP he is makes it funny.

Of course, it might be a little boring and slow to pick up at the beginning, but once the secretary arrives, that's when everything becomes funny. It's honestly a nice break from reading mangas filled with dramatic battles from the beginning to the end. You get your dose of satisfaction from the awesome battle scenes and the reactions he gets from being OP. I definitely recommend this!

enoodee's avatar
Aug 14, 2020

I believe you've read all of the stuffs about the manga on other reviews already, so here's my take.

Story: The MC is OP. The MC wants a normal life. I personally approached this manga as a slice of life manga with fighting as an extra sauce. It's comedic and pleasant to read, although I acknowledge that this is not everyone's cup of tea as somemight prefer 'more serious' fightings like reverse villain or god of highschool. There are some complaints about the dragging of the military enlistment but imo this is why I enjoyed the manga - comedy.

Art: It's pleasant. It's easy to read.

Characters: 2-sided argument here.

Good: The MC's personality is quite explored through the conflict of his goal: trying to live a normal life and his over-the-top actions, along with the conflicts of his 'old self' and his resolve.

The other charaacters are fairly likable. The 'bad guys' soon become quite understanable/relatable characters.

Bad: Perhaps some of the characters are a bit bland ex. The MC's family apart from his dad. The sister is a miss imo. It's like she's just there to show that the MC is a sis-con. But hey. It's a manga.

Overall: A funny manga. Fun fights. Quite likable MC, has a lot of potential.

I'm looking forward to how the plot will 'thicken' in the future....perhaps it will be more fighting-centric? who knows?

9.5/10 story
SenseiMedo's avatar
Sep 12, 2021

Most garbage worthless idiotic MC and side characters ever, even after reading 105 chapters.

At first, near chapter 30 this story was great and near 5 stars but the plot becomes slower, idiotic, a slice of life and the pace became turtle-like.

First of all MC is pathetic because he is set on the not killing all his enemies so that he doesn't become like his last life which was in martial arts world where technology didn't exist but now in the future where technology exist he thinks he can handle things by being soo easy going and not killing his enemies, leaving this half assessed unfinished.

This leads to many of his close family and friends nearly dying on multiple times.

Imagine this, you know there's a big group who want you dead and you can kill them single-handedly but your too arrogant and don't take action, they try to kill him secretly which doesn't work, so lets hurt his family.

Still, he doesn't move against them, let's use ak 47s and bombs in the middle of the city and broad daylight, yea mc still won't move on them. this drags on for 70 chapters until mc finally realise "oh shit all the normal people around me will be killed if I don't take care of them" yea no shit idiot.

This continues in the second season where he still half-assed lets his enemies go who were in the brink of killing his loved ones, like are you for real? mc makes me cringe soo much.

MC keeps trying not to be consumed by his inner demon that wants to kill but that's exactly what the readers want and the situation won't end until it is done so but the mc is too idiotic to notice, even after living his life 3 times already where he was even betrayed by a man he thought of as a brother, yet he thinks his enemies that tried to kill his family well Listin?

The problem is he didn't learn anything from his previous life or his current life where he keeps contradicting himself. PLus a lot of time wasted on a slice of life lifestyle that he leads that shows us no development, in over 100 chapters only about 20 chapters of half-assed fighting while the rest is a slice of life.

Don't get me wrong its still nice to read but its something you need to stake chapters for to enjoy, now that I read up to chapter 105 I need to wait until 200 before I read again as its that slow to show any meaning reading.

Also, don't get me started on side characters who stop him from killing when he needs to do so even against people who killed numerous and are pure evil. Soo stupid.

Also lets not even think about his stupid actions of wanting to live a normal life yet goes and challenges other martial artists, then is angry why they are coming into his life and not letting him have a normal life... mother fker is what I describe him.

In conclusion, id rate it 5/10 as it's just barely readable.