Deadman Wonderland

Add review
coolgirl27's avatar
Dec 7, 2019

Contains SLIGHT SPOILERS

The storyline had me on the edge of my seat wanting to find out more with every page. The buildup to how the wretched egg, shiro and Ganta are all connected was well executed and the supporting charaters though some very annoying, play an important part in Ganta's charater development.

I find shiro endearing, her deep love for Ganta leaves one wishing that they weren't both in the situation in which Deadman wonderland park has put them in. Her personality is so pure that it makes one just want to give her a hug.

Art style suited the high intensity fight scenes, easy on the eyes to follow. I also quite enjoy the overall art style and the why the charaters are protrayed.

Would highly recommend!

ClubFoot's avatar
Jul 11, 2018

Deadman Wonderland is one of the anime that is so cliffhanging when it comes to the story. There are some people who make a petition to make a second season and there are some people that actually read the manga instead of watching the anime. The anime is cool but the problem is we never know until the end. For the manga, Deadman Wonderland is not much different from the anime because this is not your typical shounen. If you like Tokyo Ghoul or Mirai Nikki, this manga will definitely fit with you. So, this is my review of the manga.

The story is quite simple in the beginning. In a nutshell, the main character was found guilty after killing all his classmates and sent to a prison theme-park with a lethal game. While trying to survive, he attempts to investigate who Red Man is. If you are still curious about the story after the anime, the story takes place after the mass prison break where Ganta will meet a new character named Azami Midou. This character is never mentioned in the anime, but for the manga, she has a character with more parts. The story is a pretty basic point but the manga is more explain all the plot holes that are still obvious in the anime. It has a great battle, introducing new special powers, an unexpected twist, and brings a bit of apocalyptic and dystopian elements in it while in the anime it's a bit dark. You can read the manga in the sixth volume after the anime.

The art is truly one of the best. I didn't think if read some shounen it becomes dull or tedious. The rest of the more focused action turned out to have a very detailed art from the small detail. The anime is pretty great when comparing it to the manga but the manga takes the cake. Not to mention, Kazuma Kondou and Jinsei Kataoka neatly create and write the story to produce a great narrative that is easy to understand as well with the detailed action.

Although Ganta Igarashi is a crybaby main character at the beginning, I prefer his character development in this manga. Little by little, he learned a lot of how to sharpen his powers to how to fix his past. In addition, Ganta and Shiro are two focused characters on how it all happens, why Ganta has superpowers, why Shiro knows Ganta, and who the founder of Deadman Wonderland is. A wide variety of characters will be focus more such as Toto Sakagami, Makina, Karako Kashio, and Yosuga Mitsuzaki. Although this manga has characters with various backgrounds, some of the characters are sometimes pointless and don't get further into the story. In addition, all of those back to Ganta and Shiro because these are all about them and not about other characters.

Deadman Wonderland is not one of the perfect manga but it shows everything in an excellent way. Maybe you will don't like the anime because the story is a cliffhanger but the manga is much better than the anime. There are many characters as well as small points that are omitted in the anime and I don't know why they do that. Probably, they may only be able to cover up so many volumes that the story should be finished in there. But if you like shounen, action, and horror, you might like it. Don't expect for the second season because it will never be made. Just read the manga instead.

PharuanUndearth's avatar
May 11, 2016

I don't know it feels unfinished, sorta, but that by no means makes it a bad read. It really does have a good background, story and some repetitive flashbacks but the overall story, the fights, the characters are all interesting and the actual story is fresh. Like i first mentioned though the end seems like it wants to continue, but it doesn't. You're left feeling good but slightly empty. I would most definitely recommend reading this, multiple times if you want.

8.5/10 story
8.2/10 overall
Ahobaka's avatar
Nov 8, 2015

In a word Deadman Wonderland manga is awesome. It's twisted and people get sliced into pieces. Interesting and original, with a lot gore and tragic.

The story indeed is interesting and unique. I love the idea of the prison where people come to see prisoners "perform" and all the matches and stuff were really interesting. The plot is quite easy to follow too and it's kind of funny how the setting is the prison almost for the whole time.

The art is really good. There's a lot of details which is always good. I don't really know what to say besides that.

There was a lot into the characters too, backstories and tragic and emotional twists. I still couldn't really get to them to be honest. There was something lacking. There was a lot of different types though, which made the reading more pleasing. No one was what they seemed to be to the surface.

I was pretty much pleased to this manga. It entertaining so I would highly recommend it if you're not sensitive to gore and violence. And crazy-ass characters who have psychological problems.

RaK4EvEr's avatar
Jul 30, 2015

This was one of the greatest mangas i've ever read!!! the story the drama the action....its all in!

U need to read the manga to understand the anime....atleast try it forreal its really good.

9.9/10 overall
YuiYui's avatar
Jun 27, 2015

Warning this review may contain spoilers:

So this is a review for the Deadman Wonderland manga, so I had high hopes for this series. It was a dark Sci-Fi about people who get taken to a special prison and a lot of stuff happens.So it is about this kid Ganta who is framed pretty much for killing his schoolmates and taken to this place called Deadman Wonderland, to be honest this isn't much of a spoiler because that is all chapter 1 is.

STORY

The story itself I found quite interesting, the pacing seemed mostly okay. The story was really easy to get into, you kind of feel sorry for Ganta and this is the effect the story had. The character development seemed to of progressed quite well. Honestly I haven't really gotten much to say.

ART

The art was good, really there wasn't much to say about this. The facial expressions were well presented *Cough* Minatsuki arc *Cough*. Yeah not much to say here either. The contrast in the more dramatic scenes are well presented. Pretty much everything is well presented however there were a few moments where I found the art weird, I guess which is why it's only at 8/10.

CHARACTER

So Ganta is typical human, he is what any normal person is. He has a plain personality which quite natural expressions where the audience can relate to him if they were in the same situation. Shiro the mysterious girl who befriends Ganta, so we don't really know much about her at the start but around chapter 11 we get to know more. Now the supporting characters, I won't say too much about these but I wanted to bring to whoevers attention the character of Minatsuki Takami, the crazy one minute and normal young girl the next. This girl is messed up and really she makes the story quite interesting, it is like she has two personalities where she uses one as a cover and the other is the real personality. But want to know more about her just check out the series. Overall I found that there was good contrast between the characters and each added to the story quite well.

Conclusion, a drama filled series that light manga readers probably won't like.

-AngelBeatsYui-

Aecef's avatar
Mar 10, 2015

WARNING MINOR SPOILER(S)

Story Opinion: This manga starts off really strong in the fast paced way of the main Character, Ganta, just living a completly normal life. Then BAM out of no where everyone important to him was slaughtered and, of course, him being the only one left alive made him the culprit (Pretty much no evidence whatsoever).

Then begins his "Shashank Redemption Attitude" where he goes around saying that he's innocent like they'll suddenly decide that they were wrong in the first place. Soon after that he finds his "friend" Shiro that he barely, if at all, remembers and eats snacks with her. All the while very rarely asking himself what she was doing there or any such questions even though half of the panels are filled with him thinking, but most are hi ideas about being in prison.

Gets into a life or death moment and the real story begins. Since this IS completed I'll tell you now that the finale was not exactly the best way to end the story and left sooo many cliff hangers and seemed sooo rushed that my imagination runs wild ;). So if you don't like those kind of endings then I suggest that you just dont read it.

Characters: For the characters overall I was impressed about how much in depth the authors went into the creation of many of the character's backstories and the reason why they ended up in prison and their present attitude, demeanor, and style. (With the exception of a few)

Ganta: Since he was originally a regular high-school kid, he does have some expected reactions for his newfound situation. But, he gets over the death of his class pretty quickly considering that the massacre of your entire class might normally severly traumatize someone, he handled it relatively fine. Also he never makes me think of him as the lead and at times I doubt of his success in his goals (Some he accomplishes Some he doesnt)

sneezetease's avatar
Aug 3, 2014

What an awful story. The events in this story make me want to cry when I think about it, it's almsot too much.  This book was seriously brutal, not just the gore, but it was chilling.  So it was a very artistic tragedy, not just shock factor stuff.  The art was really fantastic, every page was just really striking, I couldn't look away from some of these drawings, I was blown away by the artwork.  I could have done without all the tits however.  I really think that the huge bouncy boob trend in certain mangas takes something away from a series because it's just so unecessary and pointless that I think less of the whole thing.  Anyway, I will have to read this again because I didn't fully understand everything, but for the most part I wasn't really disappointed with the ending like I thought I would be.  Most animes/mangas always botch the ending for me because I always think I will have a great "a-ha!" moment and everything will make sense, I'll think "wow, how brilliant" or something along those lines that I think I'm dumb for not figuring it out or emotionally shatter me.  Powerful endings are important to me, and this one had a few good moments of clarity.  The only problem I had with it was the story which I found pretty boring if I can ignore the wicked artwork and actually evaluate its content. Not too much happened that I really cared about, I just wanted to see more build up in the story with the wretched egg and ganta.  But as I'm sitting here thinking about the manga I just finished, I am in awe a bit.  The story was just so terribly sad and cruel I almost can't take it.  But in that way, it's romantic and artistic and I wish it went on.

Thrawn's avatar
Jan 26, 2014

Story: Framed for mass murder, wanton slaughter and 16 other assorted accounts, Ganta is found guilty and is sentenced to Deadman Wonderland, a jail where the public can watch some fun death games and badass blood fights. Family friendly fun for all! I should also mention that it's a literal wonderland, with the jail smack dab in the center of an amusement park, complete with a ferris wheel. That's how they roll, and they're rolling in a MacLauren, one of those super fast race cars; it's that good.

The concept of jail for convicts and those with super powers who also happen to be convicts is awesome and something I totally dig. Mix in some death games and and I'm totally sold. It's pretty intense, matching and building up on the initial concepts and unleashes a hefty torrent of blood, grim scenes, tearjerkers, morbid moods, dark atmospheres and some good, mature stuff to really get the reader's attention. It sees the promise it displayed initially and it delivers.

The story itself is also worked pretty well on and provides a surprising amount of depth considering that it's death games and violent combat with disturbing consequences. No spoilers here but it really goes deep into the tale, delivering depth and actually explaining plenty, leaving very few plot threads hanging. The explanations provided are satisfying and if something isn't explained now, it will be later.

Really solid stuff and while it may drag at times, it still provides plenty of excitement and the tradition of explaining shit and providing even more backstory. Heck, it's pretty action-packed throughout with loads of fights occuring and some real nice thrills that can make you go to the edge of your seat in tension and suspension. Drama between the inmates is done really well and provide some of the best moments, especially the aftermath and the effect of said fights, especially the ones that deal with words and not fists or superpowers. Some real good moments of emotion to be had here. This is one violent blood fest you can read for plot.

Art: Excellence. Grim, gory, detailed and looks pretty smashing in it's glory. The art is solid throughout: the character designs I really liked with some of the dames providing some plotty fanservice, Shiro, gory discretion shot to go along with the actual gore and some real good atmosphere abound. And as time moves on, some characters just grow in badassery.

Characters: What I really love about this is how just about any character with some significant impact on the story or some semi-hugeish interaction with the main guy has a backstory. Crow? Backstory. Whips? Backstory. Old guy? Backstory. Flamboyant? Backstory. Hummingbird? Backstory. The significants have backstories and that satisfies my curiosity like water to a dehydrated traveller. Big props for weaving tales about all of them and with said tales dealing with how they got into Deadman Wonderland, by putting two and two together, so to speak. And by everybody semi-significant and up, I mean EVERYBODY. Pretty mindboggling actually.

With their backgrounds are the characters themselves, in the here and now. They have depth, caused by the hardships of the past and the events they have to partake in the present. More than just names but faces and flesh behind the skin, makes you care for at least a few and feelings (Take your pick) for some, if not most. Hell, even liked a few of the villains as much as some of the good guys, like that Red-Headed Priest of the Katsu discipline. Katsu being a brutal, face punching discipline. Of violence.

Can't really say I hate much of anybody here but there are a few who just don't bring much to the table, despite whatever impact they may have on the story. I don't mean the gal who works with G-Cup but another who just wasn't up to snuff with the others. Also don't mean the ones you "love to hate", which are perfectly fine as they're made to be dispicable sons o' bitches, but a few others that just seem... a bit "eh" and just aren't as good as others. One in particular but overall, can hardly complain.

At the helm is Ganta and Shiro, our tragic heroes. Tragic because it screams "gang kick these two while they're down", how they wouldn't get much slack in their journey through hell. And with journey comes development, which they have in spades. As I learned more about them and witnessed all the crap they had to go through, I came to love them and continuously root for them, wanting the best ending they could get in this fucked up world.

Overall: I frigging loved this. Extremely solid throughout, high on action and violence, tension and suspense, tearjerking moments and nightmarish scenes, disturbing and cruel yet with hope on the horizon... it's just great. Really felt for the characters and as badass they can be, they can really pull on the heartstrings with all the crap they're put through. It's certainly not a happy read most of the time but it wouldn't completely kill you with depression. A flurry of emotions with a massive dose of action, it's got loads to spare. Simply put, as sad as it got, as much of a downer as it became, I had fun with this and couldn't wait to read the next chapter as I was hooked.

9.3/10 story
9.3/10 characters
9.3/10 overall
theSentinel's avatar
Oct 18, 2013

Now I dont read manga often, but the anime was amazing and I wanted to see more.  I had to wait for a while though while the artist was on maturnal leave.  However once I saw that it was finished I had to read it through once more and finish the story

and let me tell you . . . .

the ending . . . . .

was . . . . .

perfect

Now in a manga, I find it hard to grasp the action.  the sounds, the voices, ect.  It was the same in this one.  However I understood enough to know that it was epic.  The final battles were great, and in the end, I was extremely satisfied.

Story:  The whole concept of Deadman Wonderland is awesome.  The story was different, and everything worked perfectly together like a cog in a machine somewhere in G Sector ( see what I did there ;)  ).

Art:  I have seen worse, but since im not familiar with many manga I will give it a 9 instead of 10.

Characters:  so many lovable characters,  they didnt deviate much, they were consistent.  Of course that doesnt mean that they didnt grow at all.  They had good character building as well.  The right characters got the focus too.  It was perfect.

Overall:  wow.  This story was gruesome, ugly, messed up, horribly sad. . . and . .  completely awesome.  It was so sad for a while that I was worried nothing would change, but with an ending like this one,  how can you not just feel better about everything in life.  I highly recommend checking this out, and lets all hope that the anime somehow manages to fix its screw-ups and be as good as the manga.  This deserves to be an awesome anime.

Dowiet's avatar
Sep 20, 2013

Honestly, when I think about this story, it reminds me of Elfen Lied a LOT.  Humans are responsible for the mess, yet they shun the consequences.

Anyways the story is very engaging.  It keeps you hooked from start to finish.  There are a a lot of action scenes but also great backstories.

Because there are backstories to practically all important characters you get a feeling of understanding who they are.  There are some interesting personalities as well.  Mysterious, sadistic, childish, you begin to realise how they came to be in such a way.

I felt the artwork was well drawn and got any point it wanted to across so I really have no glaring complaints.

Overall I loved the story, I loved the characters, I enjoyed the artwork, and since I feel like this is similar to Elfen Lied ( which I loved as well) I'll say I had a blast reading this, too.

9.6/10 overall
Airotia's avatar
Dec 18, 2011

Story: Starts off with a middle school kid who watches his friends all get murdered by a mysterious "Red Man." He's sent to a special jail known as "Deadman Wonderland" (yes, we know the reason behind the strange name right off of the bat, imagine that) where prisoners are constantly putting on a show for the entertainment of the average cable viewer.

Also he finds out that the collars everyone is wearing slowly poisons you, and every three days or so you need to eat antidote candy. Or you'll die. Amazing what you can get away with in a privately-owned prison — apparently Japanese laws or the Geneva convention or whatever has no hold over them, presumably because they threw money at anyone looking to usurp their dystopia of doing weird shit to criminals.

The main character slowly finds out more about the prison and discovers that he is one of the handful of people who has a "Branch of Sin," and is required to participate in extra games, where the reward is enough money to buy the extremely precious candy, and the loser forfeits a body part.

Art: The art is pretty awesome. The character designs are great, the action scenes are really detailed. There's loads of blood and gore, and the manga shows every death or dismemberment in pretty gritty detail.

Characters: Pretty much every character in Deadman Wonderland is a criminal, obviously, considering the setting. Nearly all of the characters have a backstory, even the ones you only see for a few chapters. You learn pretty quickly that you shouldn't trust anyone in the prison... but after reading for a while, you see that the people who seem nice are just as bad.

The main character, Ganta Igarashi, develops about as much as everyone other main character in a shounen manga. The typical he gets stronger stuff and all. However, the closer he gets to finding out about what causes the Branch of Sin to develop in Deadman Wonderland prisoners, the more emotional turmoil he's subjected to.

The main female, Shiro (also, by the by, she is not naked or even close to being naked. She's in a bodysuit. I was staring for hours trying to figure out if she had a bullseye painted over her nipples or not),  starts off as one of the ditziest girls you'd ever see. Fiercely loyal to a fault with strength that she doesn't always seem to comprehend, she's pretty typical. However, even she gets a dark and gritty story and transforms from Ganta's cheerleader and protector to a force to be reckoned with.

The side characters are really interesting as well. My favorite is, without a doubt, Crow, who shows up early-ish in Ganta's journey through Deadman Wonderland and sticks around for the rest of the manga.

Overall: I heavily enjoy reading this manga. The more you read, the deeper the dystopian future it's set in gets. The anime version looks prettier, and of course, is better for the action parts, but it's cut-off about a third of the way into the plot, and shows no promise of starting another season.

The manga doesn't promise a bright and shining happy ending for the group and isn't afraid to axe off characters even after giving them a backstory that makes you care for the characters, sometimes bothering to make you empathize with them as they're dying. The 'bad guy' changes constantly, and the manga doesn't lose momentum or repeat itself with the fighting situations despite the promises of weekly 'games.'

ghismeisk's avatar
Apr 5, 2011

Deadman Wonderland has two story lines and you will know it when you read it. They don't overlap each other. Its one story line and when thats over another one comes up. For me, the second story line is very interesting for a couple of reasons which i will not say because it will turn into a spoiler. Deadman Wonderland has alot of actions so you won't be bored of reading it. Unlike some other manga's where it took me a couple of pages to be hooked into it. Deadman Wonderland got me hooked into it in like 6 pages lol. If you love reading ESP/Action mangss you will love reading Deadman Wonderland.