Dawn the Teen Witch - Reviews

Alt title: Dian Di Mo Nu

Dawn the Teen Witch
Nemesis8167's avatar
Sep 21, 2020

So don't get me wrong, I don't hate it. But after the first few chapters or so, it went pretty downhill.

The story is about a witch- Dawn, who gets accepted to a prestigious magic school and is then sorted into one of the lowest ranking classes due to her lack of 'potential' for magic. Ordinarily, this would open up a whole avenue of interesting ideas to explore, leading up to the ultimate realisation that potential doesn't equate success, or that being at a great school or in a higher class doesn't mean you're likely to do better.

Which brings me to my first issue: How did she get accepted to a highly prestigious magic school when she can't do magic? (I refuse to believe she got in on theory tests alone.)

But the premise is not my main issue with the manga. The issue is with the events that follow after Dawn gets sorted into class G. You would expect Dawn, facing ridicule and the likelihood of failure, would resolve to become a better witch. Instead, after she gets put in class G she simply accepts her fate, and the consequent bullying. Dawn deals with the teasing and bullying with her fists (against powerfully magical opponents, can I add), or suffering until one of the male leads comes to save her.

Dawn has no clear goals she wants to achieve, which makes the conflict feel bland or unemotional.

Speaking of bland, the male lead Chasel- (literally had to search his name because I forgot it almost immediately after reading)- has no goals or hint of backstory either. Or any depth as a character. His sole purpose in this manga is to act as a love interest to Dawn, and to occasionally help her with the bullying. As of chapter 19, he has no hidden motivations, no aspirations, and seemingly no characteristics beyond 'helpful'.

The plot up until chapter 19 is just a series of different people bullying Dawn for various reasons, and Dawn doing nothing  beyond hitting them, or threatening to hit them. There are no actual lessons, which is odd considering they're in a y'know, school.

I could go on, but this review is long enough. On the plus side, the art itself is absolutely stunning, and the designs of the characters themselves is beautiful. But beyond the surface level, the storyline could use some work. So no, I probably won't be continuing this manga.

9en9ar's avatar
Oct 30, 2023

The art is beautiful, and something in the story captivated my attention just enough for me not to drop this work. However, the majority of the comic feels dragged on for me. It also, for most part, repeats one same conflict without really resolving it. There wasn't much progress in the plot until they, for some reason, decided to rush the ending, not even give us answers for certain things. I guess you would call this an open ending? Something like that thing movies do to be like: Maybe sequel?

If there ends up being a second part of this, I personally won't be reading it.

dumbass22's avatar
Feb 26, 2021

the art style is great but its a shame because it all feels like its dragging on

i had to force myself to read the chapters but its just not progressing, its like its a loop of just a girl gets bullied and a kid sits there and watches. nothing happens, nothing progresses

the romanic side of the story has nothing going on because im pretty sure chase or whatever his name is doesnt do anything , and storywise we dont see a weak female lead suddenly become strong or have some hidden potential. she stays useless for the entire story.

Leafyboii's avatar
Mar 8, 2021

The art style is amazing! I really liked this plot although it is pretty cliche and there has been little to no progression. I personally really like the characters but I do understand how they can feel dry to others.