Danganronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer - Reviews

Danganronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer
TeddytheBear's avatar
Jun 4, 2020

Good story, well integrated with the existing lore, so as a danganronpa superfan I enjoyed the series for that. However I hate how the main character was written, as she felt very 2-D and had seemingly no personality, and the other characters also seemed like a 'means to an end or message'. Though I liked the villain and the quirky Detective, I felt myself annoyed at the beginning chapters for not taking enough time to develop the Detective aspect of the manga...I felt like the Detective angle was set up, someone was killed, and then exposition for the 'actual' plot was set up, which made it predictable and hard to fit in a genre...and the ending was unsatisfactory as there is no chemistry between the characters, or even indication of chemistry, and chopping off someone's head really would kill them. Even danganronpa logic can't defy that, and the series focuses on logic as a murder mystery game, and though the tone is set already for rediculous murders, it isn't set for rediculous plot points. I've written too much, but overall though I enjoyed this and it was a good short read with really fantastic gore art, many of the characters, especially female characters, felt flat.

MrNonamee's avatar
Apr 5, 2021

To be fair, I'm probably very very biased, but while reading this, I began to enjoy it more and more. I do wish though that there were more mystery elements, as that was what really got me into the games, figuring out the murderer with clues. However, that doesn't really seem to be the case with this manga. I still did enjoy it very much and am glad I read it though. Overall, worth it for fans of the games!