Classmates - Reviews

Alt title: Doukyuusei

Classmates
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Apr 3, 2021

The first thing that bothered me about the art was its overemphasis on the upper eyelids, and how the eyes (especially Sajou's) can have an unnatural swoopy shape. The radial quality of the pupils was initially neat, but it also started being a bit of a distraction. The flowery trees and some of the other background stuff can look pretty, and I really like Kusakabe's hair. Some of the individual images are especially awkward and badly drawn, but for the most part it's whatever. There art stilt-legs, squibbly fingers, and oddly curved forearms. Heads can be too small for the bodies, and the shirts sometimes puff out.

So the art isn't the greatest. But the story is pretty good. The interactions between Sajou and Kusakabe felt natural and adorable. The basic pattern for the chapters is that there's some sort of drama (usually caused by pretty basic insecurities) and the two of them have a bit of a brief divide before reuniting stronger than ever--and then making out. The third chapter is the exception to this, and it's also quite possibly the best chapter in regards to adding some depth and character development to the story (though it doesn't even involve Kusakabe). I appreciated the small details they included about the characters, like Kusakabe's band and Sajou feeling sick when fe rides trains.

LukaBoi's avatar
Feb 2, 2022

Cute, heartwarming, full of emotions. It pictures first love so well! I always feel butterflies when I read it, I can't get enough of it! There's also a movie about it but I think that it left out an important part.

therealkatie2's avatar
Aug 11, 2020

I saw the movie before i read the manga but overall they were both amazing and is now one of my favorite manga and anime

the art work is amazing and same with the characters , i loved the way they took their time to develop their relationship and slowly start to get more comfortable with eachother .

i think the story is also amazing and to me it was super adorable and like i said i loved seeing the way things developed since it is focued on just these two characters

overall i recommend ..!

jinxywonder's avatar
Mar 9, 2021

Honestly, I wasn't sure about reading this BL because the art style didn't really appeal to me and the description didn't catch my attention either. BUT I am so glad I decided to read it - it was definitely a "don't judge a book by it's cover" type of manga.

Story: The story was well paced, had enough conflict for interest but not the type that left you wanting to smack a character, and flowed well with the characters. Their romance was VERY cute, and I loved their little moments - the type to make you softly smile. A couple side details (about the teacher) felt uneccessary but it made sense, didn't fault the main story, or make the story unenjoyable - so I guess it wasn't a bad thing. [EDIT: I dfound out that it makes sense when you read the sequel "Graduation"]

Art: Again, the art didn't really appeal to me at first. Neverthless, it did grow on me because it felt fitting once I got a hang of the characters. In this aspect, I feel the author was able to present the characters well.

Characters: Rihito is the typical smart, put together student, but he has a soft personality rather than a snudey one. Hikaru is more out going, and is more focused on music. The characters complimented eachother quite well. Although the characters were different in focus, this is not an "opposites-attract" type of romance. They definitely pair well from the beginning, and besides Rihito being a bit asocial (in relation to Hikaru's friends/fans), don't have any problem with their different social lives.

kkimczyra's avatar
Nov 12, 2021

I genuinely love how pure and poetic this manga is, as well as how well it captures young love and its everyday, unforgettable moments. However, this manga is full of cliches, yet it's drawn in such a way that it's captivating; it's pure and innocent, which I simply love about it. The plot is beautifully crafted as well. Sajou and Kusakabe are endearing and well-made characters. When I read it, I got butterflies in my tummy because of how simple the story was. I instantly fell in love with Sajou and Kusakabe. They also give me this heartwarming feeling of tenderness.